Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Warsaw.. Unique Situation. Need Some Advice Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kipper034

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Moving to Warsaw.. Unique Situation. Need Some Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am an American who will be moving to Warsaw in August. Actually, I have been living in Wroclaw for 2 years because of a job at a Japanese company. But I decided to move on since I�ve been accepted to the Warsaw School of Economics for an MBA.

Here is the tricky situation. Since my firm has another branch 70 kms from Warsaw, I can only work part-time, 2 days a week to balance out the amount of school work and commute. Understandably, my income has taken a great hit. Hence, I would like to teach English (especially business English).

I do have some experience in teaching. When I was in college, I was a member of language exchange program and while in Wroclaw, I have had 3 private students. So, here are my questions:

1) I have no CELTA or any other teach qualification. However, since I have taught before, do you think that would be enough for me to land a job?
2) How would my candidacy as an MBA and my past experience of working with Polish people in an office, impact my employment potentials?
3) What would be the realistic salary?
4) Where do I start? I�ve been lurking here for a while and I understand that hiring is slow in summer. Should do I start emailing/calling these schools now? Or, when I move to Warsaw in early-late August, should I visit schools in person and hand out my resumes?
5) Luckily, I have no Visa problem thanks to my part-time job at my firm. However, do I still need a work permit if do get hired by a school? Am I even allowed to work for a firm and a school at the same time?

Sorry for the long post. If anyone can help, I really would appreciate it.

Thank you everyone,
Richfilth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that your situation doesn't look good. While there is a lot of Business English work out there for those who know what they're doing, a lack of relevant paperwork will prevent you from earning any decent money.

Without your own firm, you will not be able to invoice companies directly, and will therefore have to work through a school or settle for privates. Schools offer steady work, but at odd hours and for relatively low pay. Privates can pay better, but you need to find them AND keep them; they are not dependable, especially in summer months.

Without a CELTA you will not be competitive, and your experience isn't that great, so a school will not be willing to pay you more than 60PLN per hour (gross), if they have any work for you at all. Those without CELTA can find work, but usually through a network of contacts, which I presume you don't have since you're new in town.

It won't hurt to get in touch with as many schools as possible right now, to see where you stand and so that they can call you if need be, but if money is really tight then I would not count on your part time EFL income to help you much.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have say that in your situation you could fairly easily find work with a school. I have worked at a few schools where some of the teachers were American students at UW. They should be able to hire you without you paying much in taxes or social benefits. Like Richfilth says, don't expect anything that will make you want to quit your real job in the way of pay but I'm sure your business skills will help you. When you get here just wander from school to school wearing a decent shirt, pants and shoes handing out your C.V. and you should be able to find some hours starting from Sept. or Oct. at least.
kipper034

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Richfilth and Sparks for your replies.

They are kind of contradicting though Wink

As of now, my expectation is not high. I understand that I don't have adequate experience and I don't exactly know how to translate my private teaching experience to teaching a group of people. Actually, I didn't even know about the existence of business English courses until recently.

That's why I'm hoping that my candidacy as an MBA student and past business experiences in Poland will help. I mean, it's not like I'm completely foreign to teaching.

In terms of salary, I know I will not get alot. Thankfully part time job at my current firm will help out. If I can make about 2000-2500, I will be I think satisfied. Also, since I already have a visa (again, thanks to my current employer), hopefully there won't be much paperwork to fill out. I think this could be win-win situation for myself and the school (maybe not?).
Richfilth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richfilth wrote:
... have to work through a school or settle for privates. Schools offer steady work, but at odd hours and for relatively low pay.

Taking this statement into account, I'd consider my and sparks' advice complimentary.

As a new teacher in Warsaw with no cert, you won't get much more than 60PLN per hour for a class, leaving you to haggle over whether that's net or gross. For 2500, you'll need to pick up over 40 hours a month, which is possible, but not necessarily enjoyable. Business courses don't normally work as a block of hours, but rather sporadic classes on the firm's premises, either before 9am or after 5pm. If you work inside a school, you're more likely to be teaching the more mundane courses like FCE and CAE preparation; meat and veg courses, if you like. If you do get a block of hours in a school, expect it to be 4-9pm.

The more hours you can open up on your schedule (especially the pre-9am slots) the more employable you will be, but otherwise, you will be fighting over the same old stuff all the other teachers are, which forces the price down.

Basically, it can be done, but don't be too optimistic; I don't think it'll be easy.
Pooledogg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new teacher in Warsaw with no cert, you won't get much more than 60PLN per hour for a class,

I am celta qualified and earn about the same as do my colleagues. I asked for more at a recent interview and was turned down.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Warsaw.. Unique Situation. Need Some Advice Pl Reply with quote

kipper034 wrote:
1) I have no CELTA or any other teach qualification. However, since I have taught before, do you think that would be enough for me to land a job?

Do yourself and your future students a favor - get a CELTA. It will give you the basics of teaching Eng and open many doors for you later. Also consider that for most schools in PL, pre-CELTA teaching experience is basically meaningless.

I agree with what the others have posted about potential salary and your chances for getting hours.

As for when to start looking, most reputable, professional schools do some hiring in June. But these schools won't be interested in you because you've got no teaching qualifications.

So you're better turning up in late August or early Sept and pounding the pavement, putting ads up on gumtree and nativespeaker, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: