Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Qualifications=What Kind of Job
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
Dont expect to be saving any money from teaching ESL in Latin American.

You will have enough to live, eat, and go out a few times during the week.

Thats it.

Unless you manage to have a steady stream of private lessons to supplement your income.

I am sorry if this was your experience, but it is not everyone's. I regularly saved $200US per month when I first started teaching, bought an apartment solely on my income. During the time I ate out a couple of times a week and took a couple of trips inside of Mexico per year. So while this might be true for your first year or two, it won't be forever, as you build contacts and move into better positions. Of course, this depends on staying in the same place for a while as well. But I don't think this kind of blanket statement, covering all jobs and all countries, is very useful for anyone, there are too many individual situations to consider.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBrown wrote:
CarolinaTHeels wrote:
After experiencing Colombia. Asia / Korea was deathly depressing! lol
Oh, I bet Smile I would love Colombia. I have a friend from there that I am absolutely in love with (she knows, its okay). I just need to get Sallie freakin Mae off my back. My dream would be living in Colombia, Brazil, etc. Maybe someday! Or maybe I go there and tell SM to find me Twisted Evil

You can often get a one or two year deferment on student loans if you are making below a certain income.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:

You (sort of) sounded like a descent person, right up until this post. My vote is that you grow up, and assume some responsibility - like paying back the financial provider of your education.
No, the world does not owe you anything, nor does it have to wait around while you have fun before you make a worthwhile contribution Evil or Very Mad

If you ever plan on returning to the US, they will find you. You will be unable to get a lot of jobs if they do a credit check on you can find you owe student loans. Talk to them, you can often lower your payments or get a deferment. You WILL eventually pay it back, one way or the other, and if you tell them to F themselves, as you so eloquently put it, you might find yourself on the receiving end instead when they tack on interest.

So public school push college. If you couldn't afford it why not look for another way not to go into debt. Work study, scholarships, basic classes at a community college, for example. No one forced you to take the loans, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: