Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuck in Beirut
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NKLocust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Stuck in Beirut Reply with quote

Hi,

So, I'm recently off a CELTA course in Beirut, Lebanon and, for some reason, I banked on being able to land a job out here at one of the language centers or schools. Little did I know about the exorbitant cost of work permits. Right now, I'm stranded in an apartment paying foreigner prices and spending my days looking for jobs on the net.

I'd like to stay in the Middle East, but it seems increasingly unlikely as:

a.) I don't want to go to Saudi.

b.) I have no English Teaching experience.

c.) My qualifications are:
1.) B.A. Anthropology
2.) CELTA Pass
3.) American native speaker
4.) Freelance writer
5.) Lower-Intermediate Modern Standard Arabic

Any suggestions of what to do/where to go?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only a CELTA and no experience, the bottom jobs in Saudi are about the only choice you have in the Gulf.

In the past, I would have suggested Egypt, but right now the visa situation is a problem. You might also try Morocco, but it will take some hustling for work. In Morocco, look at the ALC and AMIDEAST.

VS
NKLocust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few schools in Egypt have replied to my emails, but not many. My hopes aren't high. Given the problem with getting a visa right now, should I even accept an offer from a school if I get accepted?

I'll take a look at Morocco, too.

I've been considering this, but dreading it: trying to work for Berlitz or SABIS. My CELTA would pretty much get chucked by the wayside, but I would be able to work...I guess. Are these places as horrible as everyone makes them out to be?

Thanks for the help!
Mikalina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have CELTA so why not try one of the well established IH schools in Europe? You need further training and these schools would be supportive and instructive. THEN, when you have a couple of years' experience under your belt, go for the ME....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NKLocust wrote:
I've been considering this, but dreading it: trying to work for Berlitz or SABIS. My CELTA would pretty much get chucked by the wayside, but I would be able to work...I guess. Are these places as horrible as everyone makes them out to be?

Yes, but it is a paycheck till you find something better.

VS
GOTL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: SABIS Reply with quote

SABIS isn't that bad for starting out with. You get some experience and you get paid to. It is better than being stuck in a foreign country with funds running out.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the job with SABIS doesn't work out, well, at least you've had some experience of living in a country while the funds run out.....

Oh, that's a thought. If you like that sort of thing, try Britannia Education in Erbil. They are a hoot! Administrators threatening to shoot you; changing locks on accommodation when you displease them; no residency permits; no replies to emails asking for outstanding salary owing. Practically guaranteed to give you more experience of being in a foreign country while the funds run out.........
Mikalina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=62645&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

GOTL being the only defender......

CanadianAbroad's comments about a previous teacher who, APPARENTLY, did this, that, or the other, is the standard trashing of a teacher's reputation who does leave in disgust to 1)justify any action taken by the company; 2)attempt to prevent them working elsewhere; 3)bully and intimidate the teacher into feeling bad about themselves; 4)alienate other teachers from this teacher and make them complicit in the treatment and 5)prevent teaches from leaving cus they don't want the same treatment.....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikilina... I saw no mention of Erbil. I'd assumed that he was talking about a Sabis branch in Lebanon... ?

VS
NKLocust

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering I haven't heard one positive thing about SABIS - ever, from anyone in person or online - is that really a good option? I would have to relocate, maybe get stuck into a lease agreement, and have the very real possibility of hating my job, being overworked, underpaid, etc...

Two SABIS schools around here: there's the original Choueifat School just south of Beirut and another one just north. Both are kind of away from the city.

I wouldn't mind relocating elsewhere in the Middle East, but not for a SABIS school.

Question: when Omani and U.A.E. schools advertise the government requires candidates to have "minimum 2 years experience", is there any flexibility? Should I even bother joining the slush pile with these jobs?

The thing is, I'm not planning on making a career out of TEFL. I'm here to learn Arabic and do some freelance writing. I genuinely like teaching, but it's basically a bread and butter kind of thing and an excuse to get some traveling done.
NKLocust

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does SABIS give out work permits? Are you entitled to fulfill the entire contract or face having your permit revoked?
Mikalina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, VS - be in bonnet and all that.......

Actually, Locust, I've changed my mind. As you have no experience in teaching EFL, no interest in developing a pedogogy, no concern for your students and a well developed sense of what you want personally out of TEFL, SABIS is perfect for you.
NKLocust

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikalina - That's pretty harsh, off base, and taken to the extreme.

As long as I'm a EFL teacher, I plan on undertaking all the duties that come with the job - which yes, includes developing a pedagogy and having standards for myself and the material I pass onto my students. Just because I don't see EFL as a long term, lifetime sort of career doesn't mean that I'm ill equipped or don't care about the field. I wouldn't have dumped $1,500+ into a certification which means nothing to me. Personally, I don't have that kind of money to throw around.

I know what I want. I have integrity. I care for my students. Period.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Mikalina didn't mean to be quite as harsh as the post appeared. But, you have to realize that most of the posters here are professional teachers and your goals do tend to lower the standards as I'm sure that you can see. It is the teachers whose goal is not teaching, but travel and/or learning a language and/or whatever that tend to give the field a bad name. We consider that $1500 cert as merely a basic entry level... and cheap way to get into this field.

It is likely that most of the negatives of Sabis are accurate, but many of them are more related to those who want to stay in the profession. They have a very structured "teach to the test" system that professionals (with education degrees and K-12 teaching certificates/licenses) find stifling and poor pedagogically. Future employers see Sabis experience as a negative in that you will have learned what they may consider "bad habits." But for you it will provide a pay check... as they tend to follow their contracts and usually pay on time. Thus for your goals, it provides a predictable pay check and the opportunity to work on your Arabic. Every Middle East country has Sabis branches...

VS
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Don't worry- Be Happy Reply with quote

NKLocust

Advice: stay away from the negative people who try to put you down and say they are better than you are. We are all different, and bring different personalities and skills overseas.

I would say try (tefl dot com) for jobs in the UAE. They hire faster than most places. It is a good way to get out of your situation. As for which company. Well, check out the companies homepage(s) and gage from there.

In the interview ASK lots of questions.

Oman takes some time to get hired, so does Qatar and other Gulf states. The quickest due to demand is usually the UAE. Again, ask this question in the interview.

Again...let all the 'negativity' roll off you and move foward and enjoy your new life in Teaching.

Life is a journey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: