Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non native teachers in China?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: non native teachers in China? Reply with quote

Hello,

I looked through the thread and couldn't find an answer to this question. I am a non native teacher with CELTA and a bachelor's in education, native level of speaking, 4 years spent in USA, but I am from a non native speaking country. Is it possible to get a job in China? I mean legally of course?

Thank you
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethnicity may be a factor.
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know non-native teachers in China who work legally, so it's definitely possible.
prks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethnicity? I am caucasian. I heard about the racial things in Asia... oh well...
seamallowance

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught there, I had a teacher buddy (from a nearby town) who was from Slovakia. His English was very good, but he still sounded a bit like a Russian to my ears. His school was sorry to see him leave when his contract ended. They begged him to stay, offered to "up" his pay. He went home anyway.

(And me? My school found a guy who would work for even less money)
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be discouraged OP it's definitely do able.
Play up your time in the US and emphasise that you have an American accent.
Anglicise your given name ie Mikael becomes Michael.
Babala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to skip some of the more popular cities as some have changed the visa regulations. In Suzhou now you cannot get a working visa for teaching ESL unless you are from a native English speaking country. I interviewed a great teacher but when we checked into getting him a visa we were unable to because he was from Holland.
prks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. I would really love to go and teach in China. I realize this might be a bit too much to ask, but can you give me some advice on how would I go about doing so? Where should I start? What websites? I looked through the thread, but it's all very specific. No information for newbies to the China job market.

Again, I appreciate your input very much. I am very glad to hear I stand a chance in China. I had a chance in Hong Kong, but not enough time, or luck.
kev7161

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may want to skip some of the more popular cities as some have changed the visa regulations. In Suzhou now you cannot get a working visa for teaching ESL unless you are from a native English speaking country. I interviewed a great teacher but when we checked into getting him a visa we were unable to because he was from Holland.

Really? When did this take place? We currently have over 30 teachers at my school and easily 1/3 of them are not from the typical native English countries. Of course, they are not all teaching "ESL" classes, rather subject classes in English, so that may be different.
Babala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be different for international schools. I know this is the new regulation for training centres. I'll look into it.
Kipling

Location: ...Ah Mrs K peel me a grape!!!....and have one yourself!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Keep the change or not as the case may be................... Reply with quote

In China I have known Dutch, French, Romanian, Indonesian and Phillipine teachers who had no problems at all. The dear old finger wagger is 'non native' and not qualified but gets offers all the time. She's currently teaching a Chinese boy privately. So as some taxi driver once said 'If you don't ask the answer is always NO!!!!'

Mr K

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Babala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipling, I'm a little unclear about your last post. Where you referring to me? If so, you have me confused with someone else. I do not teach privately, I am Canadian and I am qualified.

I am not at all trying to discourage the OP. I have taught before with non-native speakers and know of several working here legally. I am trying to be honest with the OP about some new visa regulations here in Suzhou (which may or may not apply to all schools). Hiring is one of my responsibilities and we have tried to put through a teacher who was not a native speaker and were turned down and told of the new rules. We were also unable to renew a contract of a very good teacher for the same reason.
kev7161

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It could be different for international schools. I know this is the new regulation for training centres. I'll look into it.

Actually, my school is a Chinese one with an "international department" within its walls, so that's why I was confused about your first statement. Training centers (language mills) probably have to follow a whole different set of rules when it comes to native vs non-native speakers as the whole purpose of these kinds of schools are to strictly teach ESL whereas, like I said before, many of our teachers teach IN English, but the subjects range from sciences and maths to aspects of the English language such as grammar and literature, etc.
bruce_0701

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Don't give up! Reply with quote

Hi prks. I teach in an International Department (high school) within a Chinese school in southern China. We have fifteen foreign teachers working in kindergarten, primary school, middle school and high school (Grade 10). Including myself, there are only five Native English-speaking foreign teachers (Canada, USA, Australia). The other ten foreign teachers come from Romania, Ghana, Nigeria, the Philippines, Brazil, Poland and India. So, it's certainly possible for you to find gainful employment in China. Good luck! Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: