Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice sought about teaching quiet student

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_otter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Advice sought about teaching quiet student Reply with quote

Hi all,

I currently have a nice but very quiet student. He's in his thirties and has a rather technical job.

Because he'll soon need to use English much more, he's shelled out for a load of lessons, and I'd like it if he came away from them feeling more confident and fluent. I'm not sure how possible that is, since I think he's by nature quiet and more inclined to listen than to chat.

He's quite comfortable doing Controlled Prac, especially things like gapfills. However, it can be hard to prompt him into stringing more than a few sentences together at any one time, and unlike a lot of the students I've worked with, he rarely seems to get at all intellectually or emotionally involved in his subject.

As a consequence, I'm talking too much and he's not talking enough. I think the one real success I had came when I asked him for details about something he has to do in his job, at which point he became almost animated, and started speaking with more expression and asking for vocabulary.

It seems to me that he's happiest talking about factual or technical subjects, and uncomfortable with stuff that's subjective and with expressing opinions.

He's pre-intermediate level. Any kind of suggestions about how to handle him would be welcome.

Hope this is the right forum...
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly why will he need to learn more English? You might simply have to direct lesson planning around that goal.

Presentations?
Dealing with customers?
Email correspondence?
Marketing work?
Informal conversations?
Company tours?

I'd say definitely give him vocabulary to study at home before every lesson, and then get him to use it with you. Don't let him plan any speeches beforehand, because that will not be natural (exception is when he must make a presentation, perhaps), but forewarn him how he will be expected to use the vocab. Maybe make a list of questions he should be able to answer.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he an individual student or in a group? What is his nationality?

In any case, very generally, I think you are right that maybe your own talking time needs to be reduced. There's nothing wrong with waiting for a little spell until a learner volunteers something. Use of gesture to indicate that you need an answer is usually effective.

Also, question type is something to be considered. Open as opposed to closed, and well graded, as I'm sure you already know.

Thinking-time is another factor. Letting a learner have a few seconds to, say, read over a list of questions and think before they formulate their ideas in English usually produces much more extended answers, especially at lower levels like his.

I also find that using the photo material from KET and PET speaking exams and a timer can be an effective spur also. Set the clock for 1 or 2 mins and instruct the learner that he has to speak and describe the pictures in that time. Puts a little pressure on learners, true, but makes it clear to them that the onus has now been transferred to them.

Ultimately however, he is who he is, and if he really doesn't like expressing opinions or subjective stuff, then steer away from that as much as you can. You may want him to come away from lessons feeling more confident and to be more fluent, which is laudable, but they are his lessons, so what he wants is really what counts in the end.

I don't envy you, but best of luck!
the_otter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Exactly why will he need to learn more English? You might simply have to direct lesson planning around that goal.

Presentations?
Dealing with customers?
Email correspondence?
Marketing work?
Informal conversations?
Company tours?

I'd say definitely give him vocabulary to study at home before every lesson, and then get him to use it with you. Don't let him plan any speeches beforehand, because that will not be natural (exception is when he must make a presentation, perhaps), but forewarn him how he will be expected to use the vocab. Maybe make a list of questions he should be able to answer.

Good suggestions - thanks! I'm definitely going to try and make his lessons more job specific, though I think my lack of technical now-how will prevent us from going very deeply into the particulars of his job.

I like the vocab idea. I'll see about giving him some take-home words in this afternoon's lesson.

Sashadroogie wrote:
Is he an individual student or in a group? What is his nationality?

In any case, very generally, I think you are right that maybe your own talking time needs to be reduced. There's nothing wrong with waiting for a little spell until a learner volunteers something. Use of gesture to indicate that you need an answer is usually effective.

Also, question type is something to be considered. Open as opposed to closed, and well graded, as I'm sure you already know.

Thinking-time is another factor. Letting a learner have a few seconds to, say, read over a list of questions and think before they formulate their ideas in English usually produces much more extended answers, especially at lower levels like his.

I also find that using the photo material from KET and PET speaking exams and a timer can be an effective spur also. Set the clock for 1 or 2 mins and instruct the learner that he has to speak and describe the pictures in that time. Puts a little pressure on learners, true, but makes it clear to them that the onus has now been transferred to them.

Ultimately however, he is who he is, and if he really doesn't like expressing opinions or subjective stuff, then steer away from that as much as you can. You may want him to come away from lessons feeling more confident and to be more fluent, which is laudable, but they are his lessons, so what he wants is really what counts in the end.

I don't envy you, but best of luck!

Thanks! He's a nice guy, so the lessons aren't unpleasant (or I hope they aren't!) - just not as effective as they might be.

Love the idea of combining timed speech with pictures. I've been thinking about asking him to speak for a minute on a particular subject, but hesitating because in all liklihood he'd just dry up - but the pictures will solve that problem nicely.

I think he does want to become more fluent, but he's someone - not dissimilar to myself - who finds small talk difficult and isn't what you'd call a natural conversationalist, whether in an L2 or not.

These are one-to-one lessons, which is probably for the best, since it obliges him to speak.

I'm already onto the thinking time. Today, I'm going to teach him some English phrases like "let me see..." or "that's a good question - let me think about it for one moment..." That way he can hesitate fluently!

Last edited by the_otter on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome and all the best to you. But you are putting words into Glenski's mouth there : )
the_otter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I copied and pasted the code and forgot to change the name. *facepalm*
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have not said why he is studying, or what his nationality is.

Also, you may want to work into describing pictures slowly. Have the picture and wait, of course, but in addition to questions on paper, maybe even have the start of the answer in front of him. Later, take those away.

Don't worry too much about his work-specific vocabulary overwhelming you. Of course, it is your responsibility to know some of it, mostly the stuff people use in everyday conversations (not just tech terms, either, but words like analyze, calculate, input, etc.).
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Describing pictures is not such a challenging task for a learner who is truly Pre-Int, no matter where he's from really, so no need for some large and slow build-up to it. Learners can surprise you with their hidden capabilities sometimes.

In any case, another idea you may want to experiment with is tape-recording his attempt at a task such as that. Play it back to him and ask him to comment, and/or give himself a mark, based on whatever criteria reflecting the aspect of speaking you have chosen to work on, e.g. pron, accuracy, fluency etc. Sounds a little cruel, but it can very often open learners eyes to the things they need to work on, e.g. fluency, and also can highlight things that they did well. This can be especially effective if you have a recording of another learner, a stronger one, doing the same task, then comparisons can be made, and goals set. Ultimately, the aim for such activities is to increase fluency, and to promote learner awareness.

If he is such a techie type, you may also want to look at IELTS Writing Task 1 in the Academic Module. There are tasks that involve describing a technical process, e.g. the production of an advertisement, or an petroleum-based product. Again, nice diagrams and pictures in this task. Good language support for it too in the course books, which can be readily adapted for your learner and used as a speaking task. Maybe with writing then as homework.

Good luck.
the_otter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
You still have not said why he is studying, or what his nationality is.

Also, you may want to work into describing pictures slowly. Have the picture and wait, of course, but in addition to questions on paper, maybe even have the start of the answer in front of him. Later, take those away.

Don't worry too much about his work-specific vocabulary overwhelming you. Of course, it is your responsibility to know some of it, mostly the stuff people use in everyday conversations (not just tech terms, either, but words like analyze, calculate, input, etc.).

I'm uncomfortable giving away a large number of identifying details about private students on the internet. I may not be the only person from my school who uses this forum. Plus, his career and his career circumstances aren't all that typical. However, I think it's okay to say that he's German.

I tried the picture thing last night - started by getting him to draw a simple version of it on the board and label the components, which he seemed to enjoy. The speaking task itself went okay - quite a lot of hesitations, but he seemed challenged rather than overwhelmed. Good idea about gradually using less prompts. I'll see how that goes. Thank you.

Sashadroogie wrote:
If he is such a techie type, you may also want to look at IELTS Writing Task 1 in the Academic Module. There are tasks that involve describing a technical process, e.g. the production of an advertisement, or an petroleum-based product. Again, nice diagrams and pictures in this task. Good language support for it too in the course books, which can be readily adapted for your learner and used as a speaking task. Maybe with writing then as homework.

Thanks! I'll check out the IELTS Writing Tast.

The tape recorder idea sounds interesting. I've been meaning to buy a tape recorder for a while. He's not the only student I have who could potentially benefit from an exercise like the one you suggest.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought about teaching quiet student Reply with quote

the_otter wrote:
Hi all,

I currently have a nice but very quiet student. He's in his thirties and has a rather technical job.

Because he'll soon need to use English much more, he's shelled out for a load of lessons, and I'd like it if he came away from them feeling more confident and fluent.
If he's quiet in his native language, why would he be expected to be any different in another language?

Quote:
I'm not sure how possible that is, since I think he's by nature quiet and more inclined to listen than to chat.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Very Happy

Quote:
He's quite comfortable doing Controlled Prac, especially things like gapfills. However, it can be hard to prompt him into stringing more than a few sentences together at any one time, and unlike a lot of the students I've worked with, he rarely seems to get at all intellectually or emotionally involved in his subject.
Intellectually or emotionally involved? What do you mean by this?

Quote:
As a consequence, I'm talking too much and he's not talking enough. I think the one real success I had came when I asked him for details about something he has to do in his job, at which point he became almost animated, and started speaking with more expression and asking for vocabulary.
So, he can talk about things he's comfortable talking about? Why is that a problem? Have you observed him doing differently in his L1?

Quote:
It seems to me that he's happiest talking about factual or technical subjects, and uncomfortable with stuff that's subjective and with expressing opinions.
From what you've written, I get the impression that's how he is in his native language as well. It's clearly a personality thing. (And maybe a bit of anti-introvert bias on your part)?

Other than that, I echo what the others have written.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Because he'll soon need to use English much more, he's shelled out for a load of lessons, and I'd like it if he came away from them feeling more confident and fluent. I'm not sure how possible that is, since I think he's by nature quiet and more inclined to listen than to chat.

He's pre-intermediate level. Any kind of suggestions about how to handle him would be welcome.

the otter is expressing what I feel are entirely valid concerns here. I do not detect any bias against a student who is not a big talker by nature. If anything, I think the otter is being self-critical - note the 'I am talking too much' and his/her taking responsibility for doing whatever possible to engage the student in the lessons.

I've quoted the OP here because this is where the overall goals are expressed - building fluency and confidence. To achieve this, the student will need to be engaged in what is happening in lessons - it's well-established that neither confidence nor fluency are built by passively listening to another person speak.

'Intellectually and emotionally involved' I would interpret as 'engaged' or actively involved in the process - this can range from simple co-operation and participation all the way to actual enthusiasm.

Focusing materials and vocab building on the students' field of business is a good idea, and I have also used (short) recordings of a students speech to help him/her analyse specific points we are working on. It helps to limit points of analysis to a very small range - it can be too discouraging at the pre-int level to analyse a discourse on all levels at once.

A pre-int German student who works in a technical field is also very possibly held back by his/her wish to be accurate and correct. Again, narrowing the goals of any one lesson can help - it's far more likely to lead to a success if the student can focus on one or two linguistic items at a time. Successful lessons hopefully lead to the increased confidence, and active engagements in the lessons can boost fluency.

Overall, I'd be sure that the goal(s) of each lesson are very clear to the student, tightly focused on his field and grammatical/vocabulary that will support his expression in the field, and I'd do a review at the beginning and a summary at the end of each lesson. I'd also make time at the end of each lesson to plan with the student what is coming next, to increase his involvement and investment in what's going on (and also to give him an opportunity to think about/plan in advance for what's coming up next - this can increase confidence as well).
riverboat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few students over the past couple of years (including techies!) who state their reason for taking English lessons as "to practice speaking" but then don't seem to realise that in order to do this, they actually have to, you know, speak. Not just give the shortest possible answer to any question asked...

I've found that activities based on giving opinions, using their imagination or talking in an anecdotal way about their own experience tend to fall particularly flat for this type of student. I've had more success with activities that are more based on explaining or describing. i.e. half-a-crossword type games to describe different words, tasks that require them to explain concrete stuff like the rules of their favourite sport or systems at their work or the plot of the last film they saw etc. Games that are based on giving and following instructions can work well too (like he has a diagram that he has to get you to replicate by instructing you on how to draw it)

Also, if I DO manage to find a subject that gets the student going, I latch onto it and exploit it as much as I possibly can, often by acting completely dumb and very interested in the subject and making them feel like they're doing me a favour in telling me all about it...in minute detail...with many many follow-up questions. A surprising number of students seem much more comfortable talking if they feel like they're actually helping you out rather than the other way around. Cultural stuff works a treat in this way, like "I've never understood the tax system / election system / pensions scheme in this country", or "I want to go away for a weekend somewhere near here, can you recommend anywhere" or "my friends are coming to the city for the weekend, do you know any good restaurants/museums/things to do off the beaten track"...
the_otter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Update:

I think we're making progress. Drastically reduced the small-talky-what-do-you-think-about-xyz component, increased the number of descriptive or instructive activities and the focus on his specialization.

He seems to be a bit more relaxed and engaged, especially in the second one and a half hour section of the lesson ('...because he knows he can go home soon?' says the voice of cynicism.) He's also being a bit more proactive - asking questions and last night he actually told me an anecdote voluntarily and with no prompting whatsoever.

I'm still going to keep adjusting the lesson content and see if I can get things more specifically suited to his needs and abilities.

He's a student I actually really enjoy teaching. I have a few one-to-one students, and a couple of them are so advanced that I have very little idea why they want formal lessons. It's a battle every week to find something that's useful, interesting and challenging enough for them. The egotist in me enjoys listening to someone who's doing more than polishing the chandeliers.

spiral78 wrote:

Focusing materials and vocab building on the students' field of business is a good idea, and I have also used (short) recordings of a students speech to help him/her analyse specific points we are working on. It helps to limit points of analysis to a very small range - it can be too discouraging at the pre-int level to analyse a discourse on all levels at once.

Overall, I'd be sure that the goal(s) of each lesson are very clear to the student, tightly focused on his field and grammatical/vocabulary that will support his expression in the field, and I'd do a review at the beginning and a summary at the end of each lesson. I'd also make time at the end of each lesson to plan with the student what is coming next, to increase his involvement and investment in what's going on (and also to give him an opportunity to think about/plan in advance for what's coming up next - this can increase confidence as well).

Thanks, spiral78! Very grateful for your support.

I've been doing the review at the start, but the summary at the end is new. I think he'll like the feeling of structure.

I'll see if I can find a way to coax some ideas from him about what he wants to do next at the ends of lessons; he's likely to shrug and say 'Whatever Teacher wants' (okay, not in those exact words). But if I present it as a choice ('we can do x or x or x on Monday'), he may respond.

Quote:
A pre-int German student who works in a technical field is also very possibly held back by his/her wish to be accurate and correct.

You have apparently met my student. Smile Yes, he's very invested in accuracy. I've got the impression from him that even though intellectually he knows that accuracy isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, he still cares, because he needs things to be just so.

riverboat wrote:
I've had a few students over the past couple of years (including techies!) who state their reason for taking English lessons as "to practice speaking" but then don't seem to realise that in order to do this, they actually have to, you know, speak. Not just give the shortest possible answer to any question asked...

Laughing I once had to sub for a class who were all like that. It was the Cold War all over again. I stared at them. They stared back. Somewhere, tumbleweed blew along an empty street. A single tear came to the eye of

Quote:
i.e. half-a-crossword type games to describe different words, tasks that require them to explain concrete stuff like the rules of their favourite sport or systems at their work or the plot of the last film they saw etc. Games that are based on giving and following instructions can work well too (like he has a diagram that he has to get you to replicate by instructing you on how to draw it)

Every word is gold. Thanks! A diagram will be winging its way into the classroom on Monday.

Quote:
Also, if I DO manage to find a subject that gets the student going, I latch onto it and exploit it as much as I possibly can, often by acting completely dumb and very interested in the subject and making them feel like they're doing me a favour in telling me all about it...in minute detail...with many many follow-up questions. A surprising number of students seem much more comfortable talking if they feel like they're actually helping you out rather than the other way around. Cultural stuff works a treat in this way, like "I've never understood the tax system / election system / pensions scheme in this country", or "I want to go away for a weekend somewhere near here, can you recommend anywhere" or "my friends are coming to the city for the weekend, do you know any good restaurants/museums/things to do off the beaten track"..

Something I've learned to do already (it's so fun and easy to pretend to be the dumbest of dumb foreigners, and they always fall for it!), but which I haven't practised enough with this particular guy. Thank you. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: