Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarawayNow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Qatar Reply with quote

I am retiring from teaching for many years, and I am seeking a job teaching overseas. I saw that there was a long list of jobs for Qatar, at Dave's Esl Cafe.

Will a school hire an older female?

Are interviews on the phone or in person?

I have no problems with conservative dress, in fact, I like the idea!

My area of expertise is with elementary students.

I have been googling all day, trying to find out more about teaching in Qatar.

Should I just send CVs to the list of schools I find? Or is it better to use an agency or recruiter for this particular country.

Doe the school year begin in late summer/early fall as it does in the states?
millie18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a school hire an older female? Yes but you should be aware that most expat hires have to be less than 60 and as most contracts are 2 - 3 years in duration, if you're older than 55 you may not be considered at all

Are interviews on the phone or in person? Many will do them via video conference and some may still do them by telephone

I have no problems with conservative dress, in fact, I like the idea! You're coming to the right place

My area of expertise is with elementary students. There are many K-12 International schools but the vast majority are either Indian/Arabic/or Pakistani which generally pay much lower wages than UK/American/Canadian schools

Should I just send CVs to the list of schools I find? Or is it better to use an agency or recruiter for this particular country. Recruiters and agencies should, as a general rule, be avoided in the GCC, not just Qatar. There are exceptions but they are few.

Doe the school year begin in late summer/early fall as it does in the states? Yes
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Qatar Reply with quote

FarawayNow wrote:
I am retiring from teaching for many years, and I am seeking a job teaching overseas. I saw that there was a long list of jobs for Qatar, at Dave's Esl Cafe.

Should I just send CVs to the list of schools I find? Or is it better to use an agency or recruiter for this particular country.

Something about that sentence seems somewhat paradoxical, and grammatically awkward, or is it just me? Laughing
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Qatar Reply with quote

FarawayNow wrote:

Where is this "long list"? I've only ever seen the odd job or two for Qatar on here, at the very most.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Qatar Reply with quote

bulgogiboy wrote:
Where is this "long list"? I've only ever seen the odd job or two for Qatar on here, at the very most.

I wondered about that comment too. It seems that there would only be a very few jobs in Qatar teaching K-12 for a Western female.

I agree with Millie about avoiding recruiters, but Ms Farawaynow might be interested in looking at the current teaching in the UAE with TeachAway. They are looking for experienced, certified teachers. They are the only recruiter that I would advise considering.

VS
FarawayNow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been avoiding the agencies that require in-person interviews. I do not live near the interview locations, and I just do not want to waste money on traveling for an interview. Now if I was a millionaire, I would just keep going to in-person interviews. But since I am not, I won't.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that TeachAway interviews on both coasts and in Chicago and Denver I believe. So, it is not as though they are asking you to spring for a ticket to Dubai for the interview. But, yes... there are hotels and such and it all adds up. Though if one has a strong CV, these are high paying jobs (tax-free, free housing, free travel tickets...etc), and one could look at it as an investment for future benefit.

Another option is to attend one of the international school job fairs. Have you looked at International School Services?

VS
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FarawayNow wrote:
I have been avoiding the agencies that require in-person interviews. I do not live near the interview locations, and I just do not want to waste money on traveling for an interview. Now if I was a millionaire, I would just keep going to in-person interviews. But since I am not, I won't.

You'd have to line up behind all the other millionaires who are fiercely competing for TEFL jobs in Qatar.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you think of a mor apposite title for your thread ! Maybe
WORK FOR THE NO-LONGER YOUNG
overworkedandunderpaid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP may have been referring to this job listing:
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=25829

It is a "List Of International Schools In Qatar", to quote the advert itself. I found that quite odd, since a list is not a vacancy advert.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overworkedandunderpaid wrote:
The OP may have been referring to this job listing:
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=25829

It is a "List Of International Schools In Qatar", to quote the advert itself. I found that quite odd, since a list is not a vacancy advert.

And it's posted by 'Qatar Aluminium Company'. Strange...
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite common for large companies to run schools for employees' offspring. When I worked for Saudi Arabian Airlines they ran the American School in Jeddah so they could provide quality education for dependants.
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Problems of Affluence Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/world/middleeast/14qatar.html
Affluent Qataris Seek What Money Cannot Buy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: