Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QATAR University (Interview)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic-Pax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: QATAR University (Interview) Reply with quote

I have been following the discussion about Qatar University. I find it difficult to believe what I am reading. The director invited me for an in-person interview.

They are obviously hiring.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice that this information just came out within the last week or so? I would assume that they are NOW not hiring unless, of course, all of the newspaper articles are lying. It appears that not even the director was informed of what was going to happen and when...

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This director is particularly devious. I've had personal dealings with him. He's a coward and his word is to be taken with a grain of salt!

It's a sad state of affairs that QU Foundations Unit!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the original poster is referring to the director of the English language unit or of Foundations. I think you are referring to the Foundations person, right Scary?

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foundations.

It's a bad move to work for the fella!
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The directive from the SEC came out only in the past 48 - 72 hours. If your contact was prior to that, it may no longer be worth pursuing.
Dominic-Pax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Scary! wrote:
This director is particularly devious. I've had personal dealings with him. He's a coward and his word is to be taken with a grain of salt!

What does that mean? I find general character attacks like this to be very unhelpful.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominic-Pax wrote:
It's Scary! wrote:

What does that mean? I find general character attacks like this to be very unhelpful.

It's not a "general character attack"! It's a first-hand report about a very specific Foundations Director at QU on how he treats people! Would you rather have me mention by name? Sheesh!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Names, of course, can't be mentioned. But IS is not the only poster here who has commented about this manager over the years.

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Names, of course, can't be mentioned. But IS is not the only poster here who has commented about this manager over the years.

VS

Well, it was meant to be rhetorical as to characterize it as a "general character attack", IMHO, is a bit OTT!

BTW, it depends on what the meaning of IS is!
Dominic-Pax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Scary! wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

Well, it was meant to be rhetorical as to characterize it as a "general character attack", IMHO, is a bit OTT!

I understand that you are talking about the director of the FP. What I intended was a request for you to share an example or two of your claims. I am not doubting you. I just want to understand what you mean beyond a general smear campaign against this guy.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominic-Pax wrote:
It's Scary! wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

I understand that you are talking about the director of the FP. What I intended was a request for you to share an example or two of your claims. I am not doubting you. I just want to understand what you mean beyond a general smear campaign against this guy.

Here we go again! Just when I thought OTT had been hit! When I refute an accusation of "general character attack" that you decide to avoid, you change tactic and accuse me of a "general smear campaign"! Do you understand the general understanding by an educated person of what constitutes a "campaign"?

Have you seen anyone willing to come to his defense except that of a job seeker?

I'll tell you what. You seem to be of his ilk, so take the interview and accept his inevitable offer. You seem to deserve each other.

It's my last word on the matter!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole discussion is moot as there will be no new teachers in Foundations at QU this year to worry about it. I've heard that QU is going to or has cancelled their TESOL recruitment trip.

VS
(not to mention moot as this fellow has little or no contact with EFL teachers at QU)
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dominic - Who are you referring to?Are you talking about the Director of the Foundation (a local) or the head of the English department (a Yanqi)?

A couple of exFoundation instructors have ended up in the Magic Kingdom and boy are they still angry! One of the guys I know is very bitter towards this place and the man in charge of English. My friend Bitterman blames it all on the head of the department calling him spineless and gutless. He claims he was fired because somebody the head wanted to promote coveted his position so the head got rid of him.

This man is known to personalize everything, Bitterman called him Mr. Non-negotiable; he says you can't talk to him or reason with him. If you don't fit in with him (i.e. never challenge or question) you get thrown out. When bitterman challenged his non-renewal and asked why, he was told bascially he could take 'his pick' of the reasons. Seriously - this is what he was told. Very evasive When Bitterman when the big chief, the big chief sent him back to Mr. Non-Negotiable etc. etc. etc. People are never told why they have not been renewed. They have no follow-up grievance system to challenge dismissals. (Some universities in the kingdom have started allowing teachers to challenge dismissals). Bitterman says the guy didn't like him and didn't like the fact that he helped make some major changes. So in order to take the kudos for himself, the head fired him. (Not an unusual story in the area.) Since I happened to have worked with this head guy about 22 years ago (when he was an ordinary dunny-door breaking mortal) I know where Bitterman is coming from. I also had my run-ins because of this intransigent function mode. Is this the way to manage a department? To tell your staff to choose the reason they were fired? You need to be flexible and reasonable, I know, I manage a department. This was a very unprofessional but typical response. Bitterman says the local in charge likes it this way, then he looks like Mr Good Guy. He never asks why a teacher is fired - just signs the papers and lets Mr. Non-negotiable rule the roost. Tomcat and I know personally how nasty he can be. He lets the personal interfere with the professional. Not the right way to go. This is an informed opinion.

Last edited by battleshipb_b on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
This whole discussion is moot as there will be no new teachers in Foundations at QU this year to worry about it. I've heard that QU is going to or has cancelled their TESOL recruitment trip.

VS
(not to mention moot as this fellow has little or no contact with EFL teachers at QU)

What??? No five-star hotels and all the goodies that go with the interview trips? Amazing. They have been firing teachers for a long time including my buddy Bitterman, just to justify the hiring trips. The Magic Kingdom has picked up on this malpractice which is why a lot of places now hire recruitment agencies to do the work for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: