Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After my first interveiw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1523

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: After my first interveiw Reply with quote

So I've arrived in Taiwan and had my first interview at a private school yesterday in Taoyuan. If they give it to me, I'm not sure if I should take it because they'll only give me 1 day to decide when they tell me on Friday. It's tempting to accept something out of desperation, but given that it is in Zhongli, Taoyuan (pretty grey and dull), should I wait it out and explore more in some of my more desired locations like Taichung and Hualien?

One of the most factors to me is it gives me 5 days of work, giving me saturdays and sundays off. If I really desire the 2-day weekend off, should I just accept this job offer? What are my chances of landing jobs at other private schools in cities like Taichung/Hualien that have 5-day work schedules?
forefit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhongli or Taoyuan County isn't really a great place, if you go onto Forumosa and read peoples opinions about the place it doesn't paint a pretty picture. Depending on your money situation I recommend you wait it out and try and get offer elsewhere where there is more to do and somewhere more pretty.
Timberdan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of schools don't give 2 day weekends. You didn't mention the pay. If you are getting 600nt then that's average, less would make things a struggle, more would be better.

I'm not sure how many jobs are available in Taichung. I know a lot of people looking with only so so success.

Oh, from my personal experience, i was offered my current job within 5 minutes of showing up at the interview and excepted it in 1 minute. After a couple of weeks on job hunting online, bad demo classes for school offering a bad wage, or offers not in locations where I wanted to be, i just talk the 1st decent offer.

If you have funds, well I guess you can afford to wait around.
mhj85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If I really desire the 2-day weekend off, should I just accept this job offer?

a bit late, but here's my input. Yes, most schools (buxibans) will require you to work Saturdays, so if a five-day workweek is something you really want, take the offer.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Jhongli and hated it. Grey, dull and polluted but it had good nightlife, lots to do and plenty of foreigners working there so it's easy to meet people and hang out. I still stay in touch with a couple of the people I met back then.

I have found Taichung very difficult to find work in. If the 2 day weekend is a big selling point (it should be) and the money is OK then my recommendation would be to suck it up - get your feet under the Taiwanese table and start earning money. It's a lot easier to look for better locations and jobs when you've got money coming in.
And it's only for a year..
brettb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to come to Taichung?

Taipei and Kaohsiung are much more interesting cities.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion:
Taiwan is such a small country, and transportation is so cheap there, that it really doesn't matter where you work (as long as it's not some village up in the mountains with bus service only twice a day). If a job looks good, take it.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good jobs in Taiwan are few and far between!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: