Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly returning....a few questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Possibly returning....a few questions Reply with quote

I worked briefly in Vietnam a year ago and I'm seriously considering a return before Fall.

I never did resolve some of the paperwork issues with the school I was with. Mostly this came down to a slightly outdated criminal background check. My understanding at the time was that a state or even county level background check - then apostilled, was enough. Has this changed or would I be ok avoiding the time killing FBI check?

Everything else was ok - birth certificate, TESOL cert and so on, all apostilled.

A second question is about the timing. Is August too late for finding work in people's opinion?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

tideout
montblanc20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an FBI check with US state dept apostille. Why take chances when you know that the FBI check will take care of things? I'd say get at least three. It should take two to three weeks. I sent prints to the fbi. Then they sent it back and I sent it to state dept.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends when in August. May is the end of the school year, and June and July are typically the peak hiring season for English centers. August won't be as bad as around Christmas and Tet, and since many Vietnamese schools seem to do things last minute, you could catch the tail-end of the hiring season.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montblanc20 wrote:
Get an FBI check with US state dept apostille. Why take chances when you know that the FBI check will take care of things? I'd say get at least three. It should take two to three weeks. I sent prints to the fbi. Then they sent it back and I sent it to state dept.

Yeah, I know how it works as I've done it before. Would like to avoid the longer turnaround time. A quick call to my particular state bureacracy today revealed they only process criminal background checks for businesses and then it's through a 3rd party service.

Thanks for responding though.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
It depends when in August. May is the end of the school year, and June and July are typically the peak hiring season for English centers. August won't be as bad as around Christmas and Tet, and since many Vietnamese schools seem to do things last minute, you could catch the tail-end of the hiring season.

Thanks EL, appreciate the response. That's as I vaguely remember it. As I recall it gets dryer after that unless you stumble across the random job situation.....

October/November on it gets stark.

Again thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: