Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

single Christian American woman in Bahrain?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noelle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: single Christian American woman in Bahrain? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

This my first time in the Bahrain forum. I realize that the title I put in the subject line is pretty loaded, but I was hoping to get some quick responses by grabbing active posters' attention!

A friend of mine (who is somewhat sheltered and quite ignorant about the middle east) has just been offered a position at an international school in Bahrain. I don't know the name- I'll find out from her at some point. She's a certified public school history teacher.

She's terrified of going to teach in the middle east, but she applied out of desperation because her current public school job in the U.S. is awful (as are most). I'm trying to convince her to give it a try. I'm planning on moving to Oman or UAE myself this fall to teach in a uni-- I currently teach Saudis, Kuwaitis and students from the Emirates.

I know A LOT about KSA, Kuwait and UAE. I know nothing about Bahrain except that it is small and overrun by foreigners. I've been told it's a pretty liberal place to live for a westerner who is not used to being around Muslims.

This friend of mine is also a Christian so I'm sure that will play a big part in her decision. She told me she doesn't want to go anywhere that will require her to cover her head!

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Noelle on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, your friend obviously isn't the type to just "give it a try." If she's terrified and apparently, also not very culturally aware nor tolerant, then the Mid East is completely the wrong region for her. Plus, Bahrain is still reeling from sectarian violence and civil unrest---the security situation isn't exactly stable. She'd do better teaching in Asia or applying for a Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) job to teach American children on a military base. Or she could simply stay in her current teaching job in the US. As her friend, these are the options you should be encouraging her to explore.
GladToBeFree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by GladToBeFree on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GladToBeFree wrote:
There is no shortage of Christian fellowship in Bahrain. Though the country is struggling with issues between Shi'a Muslims and the government, Bahrain is probably the best place she could be for a first-timer in the Middle East. Bahrain does pride itself on religious pluralism. She does not have to cover, does not need an abaya.

No different from Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, and the UAE, which don't have the current problem with a significant majority trying to get equal rights... and the violence that involves these day.

A few years back I would have agreed that it was a good place for a newbie to start. But now, I have to agree with Ms nomad, that I wouldn't recommend Bahrain to someone who would not understand the undercurrents and politics. Up to this point, the violence has not involved Westerners, but with the US backing the royal family, this could change...

And... it is a very small island.

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

No different from Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, and the UAE, which don't have the current problem with a significant majority trying to get equal rights... and the violence that involves these day.

Oman also had some fairly alarming instances of civil disturbance, with hypermarkets being looted and burned to the ground, demonstrations, sit-ins, whole towns being blockaded, and caches of molotov cocktails being discovered. Admittedly these were not on quite the same scale as Bahrain (mainly because the country is much larger and the incidents did not get as much international media attention) however there are as many undercurrents and potential for unrest there as there are in Bahrain, particularly regarding the question of succession. If the OP's friend is a as nervous as stated, Oman may not be the best destination either.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: single Christian American woman in Bahrain? Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
I'm planning on moving to Oman or UAE myself this fall to teach in a uni-- I currently teach Saudis, Kuwaitis and students from the Emirates at UC San Diego.

I know A LOT about KSA, Kuwait and UAE. I know nothing about Bahrain except that it is small and overrun by foreigners. I've been told it's a pretty liberal place to live for a westerner who is not used to being around Muslims.

Noelle, although you claim to know a lot about these countries without ever having lived in the Mid East, getting such knowledge from your students' native perspective won't completely prepare you for the reality as a single, foreign woman. Oman and the UAE (which, by the way, is also "small and overrun by foreigners") are easier to adjust to for newbies to the region. But you still need to do your homework and research these countries---their cultures, laws, and politics, as well as life for expats---before making the huge decision to leave the US for work.

But back to your terrified friend. Another overlooked issue is that she could find herself back in the US and jobless if the situation in Bahrain starts to fester again. Those of us who were teaching in Yemen, Egypt, Syria, Tunisia, and Libya have first-hand experience of what it's like to have to suddenly leave a volatile environment and return to our home countries only to then have to search for a new job.
Noelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, nomadSoul. I appreciate your honesty. And you're right- I've not lived in the Middle East... yet. But I've done as much research as I possibly can over the past 4 years, as I've been planning to move over there since finishing my MA.

I teach wealthy Saudi Sunni students here (for my bread and butter) and poor, Iraqi Shiite refugees (for the heck of it). I've studied Arabic, studied the Qu'ran, been to speak to an Imam and most importantly-- kept in touch with teachers from my current university who have worked or are currently working in Oman, UAE, Kuwait and KSA. Under the circumstances, I don't see how I could possibly do more short of getting on a plane and going into the Gulf to just live for awhile on my own. I have spent most of my adult life working abroad, just not in the Middle East.

My friend however is going in completely blind and didn't know Bahrain existed until this past weekend. She's never lived or worked abroad and turned down an opportunity to work in Russia last year because she was too "scared". I think, based on the comments I've read here, I'm going to discourage her from taking that job in Bahrain.

I on the other hand will be coming to the Middle East this fall if I get a job at one of the 7 universities I am applying to. I hope I can contact you too for some advice?

Last edited by Noelle on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
Oman also had some fairly alarming instances of civil disturbance, with hypermarkets being looted and burned to the ground, demonstrations, sit-ins, whole towns being blockaded, and caches of molotov cocktails being discovered. Admittedly these were not on quite the same scale as Bahrain (mainly because the country is much larger and the incidents did not get as much international media attention) however there are as many undercurrents and potential for unrest there as there are in Bahrain, particularly regarding the question of succession. If the OP's friend is a as nervous as stated, Oman may not be the best destination either.

Nowhere near the same situation. Bahraini unrest had been festering for years now from the underclass majority Shia. The Arab Spring gave them hope that this time they might be able to succeed. Sadly, they have been smashed into submission.

The vast majority of demonstrations and nearly all of the violence in Oman was in Sohar and those, and in other towns, were mainly from university students - who were demanding fewer classes, easy exams and guaranteed jobs. They are the ones that burned down the hypermarket and the wali's offices in Sohar. It too was a result of the Arab Spring... the difference that they didn't really have much justification. The Sultan immediately stepped up and made a batch of improvements - got rid of the most disliked ministers - some that had come from demonstrators and some the he added himself. The whole thing was done quite quickly - in relative terms - and with a very limited loss of life. And my personal guess is that Sultan Qaboos will be the first Gulf monarch to voluntarily move to a limited monarchy.

Two similar countries with very different problems and even more different responses from the rulers. Things quieted down in Oman and I'm not really worried about suggesting people accept jobs there.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
Thank you, nomadSoul. I appreciate your honesty. And you're right- I've not lived in the Middle East... yet. But I've done as much research as I possibly can over the past 4 years, as I've been planning to move over there since finishing my MA.

I teach wealthy Saudi Sunni students here (for my bread and butter) and poor, Iraqi Shiite refugees (for the heck of it). I've studied Arabic, studied the Qu'ran, been to speak to an Imam at our local Islamic Center in San Diego and most importantly-- kept in touch with teachers from my current university who have worked or are currently working in Oman, UAE, Kuwait and KSA. Under the circumstances, I don't see how I could possibly do more short of getting on a plane and going into the Gulf to just live for awhile on my own. I have spent most of my adult life working abroad, just not in the Middle East.

My friend however is going in completely blind and didn't know Bahrain existed until this past weekend. She's never lived or worked abroad and turned down an opportunity to work in Russia last year because she was too "scared". I think, based on the comments I've read here, I'm going to discourage her from taking that job in Bahrain.

I on the other hand will be coming to the Middle East this fall if I get a job at one of the 7 universities I am applying to. I hope I can contact you too for some advice?

Kudos to you for being so diligent in your research, Noelle! Smile
Good luck with your job hunt and I hope to continue to see your posts on the Mid East forum.
Noelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, Ms Nomad!

And thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread. My friend has elected not to take that job. I'm pretty sure she would have come to that decision on her own though-- but I copied and pasted all these comments into an email for her to read anyway.

Thanks again!
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Nowhere near the same situation. Bahraini unrest had been festering for years now from the underclass majority Shia.

While Oman's unrest is not sectarian, there are parallels in the problems of youth unemployment (to which the Colleges of Technology were intended to apply a bandaid) which have also been festering for years, particularly in the 'interior' of the country where investment and development has not been anywhere near on the same scale as in the Capital Area, and where there are very few jobs. As far back as 1985, I remember witnessing a brief and impromptu demonstration of youths in Al Khuwair demanding the right to work. There are also uneasy relations between those of Baluchi, East African and indigenous Arab ethnicity. Many Baluchis particularly, see themselves as the victims of discrimination. This quite apart from the potential for civil strife upon the eventual demise of the present Sultan.

Qaboos did indeed dismiss a few Ministers, however most of them were simply replaced with other members of the Al Said/Busaidi clan. He still remains one of the most autocratic of the GCC monarchs, retaining several key Ministerial portfolios for himself. Compared to the (admittedly limited) suffrage and political representation which has obtained in Bahrain for the last few years, the 'Shura Council' in Oman is really nothing more than a cabal of appointed Yes Men. The economy is also still shackled by stifling regulation and bureaucracy, primarily designed to protect oligarchical monopolies both public and private, which most of the other Gulf States have liberalized - one of the reasons why Qaboos was reluctant to join the proposed GCC common currency.

I have very little doubt that should the chips ever really be down and expressions of public dissent escalate to any extent, the attempt to cling to the reigns of power and resulting suppression will be just as brutal as in other countries in the region.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public Order and Civil Unrest. Does she not read about current events ?
runninggirl

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: your post Reply with quote

I'm confused as to why you are asking on a forum when you say you have direct contact with teachers already here in the M.E.
It would seem to me that you would be speaking directly to your friends who are here teaching. How could you not know about the situation in Bahrain? With only a little research you would have found the news of Bahrain protests, arrests etc all over the news. It also makes me wonder why you would be asking this question about your friend going there who is a frightened person, why isn't she writing her own question... ? There are many things about your first question that begs clarity. What is it that you are really seeking?

You say:
"I teach wealthy Saudi Sunni students here (for my bread and butter) and poor, Iraqi Shiite refugees (for the heck of it). I've studied Arabic, studied the Qu'ran, been to speak to an Imam at our local Islamic Center in San Diego and most importantly-- kept in touch with teachers from my current university who have worked or are currently working in Oman, UAE, Kuwait and KSA. Under the circumstances, I don't see how I could possibly do more short of getting on a plane and going into the Gulf to just live for awhile on my own. I have spent most of my adult life working abroad, just not in the Middle East. "
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She got what she was seeking, which was clear to the rest of us. I suggest that you re-read the whole thread.

What is not clear to me is what you are accusing her of... and why?

VS
Noelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runninggirl,

I just came across your response to this old post. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't know if you're still active here or not, but if you are, then I agree with VS. You need to read the ENTIRE thread before posting direct comments such as the one you posted to my mine.

Had you done this earlier, you would have seen that the question I posed in my original post, which it appears you did not really read very thoroughly either, was answered by other participants here quite awhile ago.

I have posted and will continue to post other questions on these forums on behalf of friends who are not familiar with Dave's, as many teachers who travel to teach abroad are not in the ESL field.

Best,

Noelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: