Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GladToBeFree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: ..... Reply with quote

Last edited by GladToBeFree on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That website looks SUPER sketchy. They are definitely full of it with those glamorous jobs, salaries and benefits. Don't pay those people a dime.

How are these "businesses" even allowed to operate like that? Rolling Eyes
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: www.esljobfinder.net - OK site for jobs? Reply with quote

GladToBeFree wrote:
I'm trying my best to get out of Saudi Arabia and was sent this website. it looks good at first glance.

My question is, it implies that some or most of their schools would consider hiring a non-EU national (I'm American) and has openngs listed in almost every country on the continent.

There is a placement fee for $395.00 but this is far lower than placement fees I've seen on other sites (think $2500.00!)

Surprisingly, there are even placements in the UK and Ireland.

For Western Europe, the wages are great. For some East European countries of course, the pay is low. Some openings have included accommodation, others not.

I've always wanted to teach in Europe. I've sent in my resume and declared my three target countries, but also wrote a note saying I am open to being nearly anywhere.

Anyone had experience with their placements or the schools that advertise here? As an American, do I stand a chance? They say you can get a work visa if the school offers a contract. Correct?

Thanks all!

There are several threads concerning this site. For starters:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=94230

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=94230

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=93407

They seem to be pretty shady. "Scam" might be a short but reasonably accurate description.

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what AGS has posted. It's not legit.

There are really no 'placement programs' for this region outside of voluntary positions - Footprints comes to mind.

Basically, the job market in the Western and Central European regions is very tight. Almost zero jobs are found from abroad. There are enough teachers around so that employers have no need to take a risk on hiring someone sight-unseen. There are enough teachers from the UK to basically fill almost all open positions - it's EXTREMELY rare for a school in Western Europe to hire a non-EU citizen, unless that person can get a work permit through marraige to a local or citizenship through ancestry.

Americans CAN get legal work permits in Central and Eastern Europe. I won't speak for the East as I've got little direct experience there, but for Central Europe, the only way to get a job is to be here on the ground, ready to interview in person, at the right time of year (late August through September). AS you're competing with UK citizens for whom schools will not have to go through any paperwork hassles, you'd need to be certified and ready to present yourself as professionally as possible to get a real hearing.

Wages in Central Europe are subsistence-level; enough to live on and enjoy where you are, but not to save up or pay off debts.

Those advertised jobs in Western Europe with 'great salaries' simply don't exist (for anyone, not just Americans). Read through the Italy, France, and Spain boards to get an idea of the reality on the ground there.

If you really want EUrope, your best bet is to aim for Central Europe in August, be sure that you have at least a CELTA or equivalent, and be prepared to foot the up-front costs of getting here and getting started. And don't expect to make more than enough to live on. It's a fantastic place for the experience, but it is by far NOT the easiest (or most financially rewarding) job market in the world.
Larryj917

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: I totally echo Reply with quote

what they told you. Don't do it!!!
GladToBeFree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by GladToBeFree on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pay to get a job unless it's an intl school job fair fair. Volunteering is another exception and in theory that money should go to poor people. Geovisions might be something you could look into. They don't promise you the world either. Their placements are for about 90 days which is the limit if you're an American with no EU residency.

Or like other posters have said, head to countries that Americans still have a chance getting a work visa in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: