Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican ruling party picks woman as prez candidate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Mexican ruling party picks woman as prez candidate Reply with quote

Looks like Mexico may make history with the upcoming presidential elections in July. The PAN has just picked a woman as their candidate to run against the one and only Nieto.

http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-ruling-party-picks-woman-prez-candidate-025034356.html
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think a woman could be president? Shoot, check any Mexican household and you see that it's run by mom...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican ruling party picks woman as prez candidate Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Looks like Mexico may make history with the upcoming presidential elections in July. The PAN has just picked a woman as their candidate to run against the one and only Nieto.

FYI, EFLeducator, the PRI candidate's last name is Pe�a Nieto.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
You don't think a woman could be president? Shoot, check any Mexican household and you see that it's run by mom...

And there have been some strong women presidents in other Latin American countries already, some of them decades ago - Corazon Aquino in the Philipines, Violeta Chamorro in Nicaragua, Michelle Bachelet in Chile and of course the two current women presidents - Chistina Fernandez in Argentina and Laura Chinchilla in Costa Rica. Ireland, though not a Latin Country, is still very male centered and has had TWO women as presidents. So why not? Who better than a woman to balance the budget.

And, just for the record, the candidates name is NOT Nieto, that is his mother's maiden name. His full last name is Pena Nieto, when referred to alone, it would be simply Pena.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

And there have been some strong women presidents in other Latin American countries already, some of them decades ago - Corazon Aquino in the Philipines,

I didn't know that the Philippines were in Latin America Confused .
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican ruling party picks woman as prez candidate Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-ruling-party-picks-woman-prez-candidate-025034356.html

It is a gamble by the PAN to try and keep it's hold on Los Pinos.

Does she have a chance? Sure, in Mexico's 3 way race, anything is still possible.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican ruling party picks woman as prez candidate Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
FYI, EFLeducator, the PRI candidate's last name is Pe�a Nieto.

My bad. I fogot how the Mexicans have long names. I and others I talked with in Mexico City refer to him simply as Nieto, or the Messiah, or the savior of Mexico. Cool
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
You don't think a woman could be president?

I never said that. I simply posted an article on the upcoming presidential race in Mexico and how the PAN picked a woman as their candidate.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

And there have been some strong women presidents in other Latin American countries already, some of them decades ago - Corazon Aquino in the Philipines,

hehe I thought about that afterwards, but really, the society is very Spanish influenced, so it a way it fits. I really do know that the Phillipines are not north of Cuba. Twisted Evil
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

hehe I thought about that afterwards, but really, the society is very Spanish influenced, so it a way it fits. I really do know that the Phillipines are not north of Cuba. Twisted Evil

The Philippines were once a Spanish colony, like most of Latin America, but I wonder how the Spanish influence played out in Asia, apart from the language and the religion. I must admit I know very little about that part of the world. Embarassed
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB, you forgot Argentina's first woman president--or do you not count puppet presidents? Razz

Quote:
I and others I talked with in Mexico City refer to him simply as Nieto, or the Messiah, or the savior of Mexico.
Surely you were missing the scarcasm as a second language user.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

Quote:
I and others I talked with in Mexico City refer to him simply as Nieto, or the Messiah, or the savior of Mexico.

I wonder if the fact that "nieto" means "grandson" has anything to do with the sarcasm MotherF attributes to EFLeducator's friends?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
BBB, you forgot Argentina's first woman president--or do you not count puppet presidents? Razz

Quote:

Just the ones I could think of off the top of my head, really.

I have never heard anyone call Pena Nieto just Nieto. I can't imagine why a Mexican would do that, it doesn't make sense. Unless.........by calling him by his mother's last name they were insinuating that his parents weren't married and he was therefore a ........ hmm...... that could be it. And I sure haven't heard him called the savior of anything. Most of the people I talk to seem RESIGNED to the fact that he will likely be the next president, but little more.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

I have never heard anyone call Pena Nieto just Nieto. I can't imagine why a Mexican would do that, it doesn't make sense. Unless.........by calling him by his mother's last name they were insinuating that his parents weren't married and he was therefore a ........ hmm...... that could be it. And I sure haven't heard him called the savior of anything. Most of the people I talk to seem RESIGNED to the fact that he will likely be the next president, but little more.

BBB, maybe you and EFLeducator talk to different sorts of Mexicans - maybe his friends are big fans of the PRI. I don't know any Mexicans who are, but there must a few somewhere Shocked .
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla I do know some die hard PRI supporters (though none under the age of 60!) and NONE of them would ever called Pe�a Nieto the saviour of Mexico. And I've had the oportunity to hear them say some pretty ridiculous things about the government but even they conceed that Pe�a Nieto was not the best choice--though they will vote for him because voting for the PRI is what they do.

BBB--Isabel Martinez de PERON? doesn't come to mind when you hear the words--Female, president, Latin America?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: