Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

info on university salary in dubai for historian (ESL?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
van_6000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, helenl and Dedicated. for your advice.

Van
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Abu Dhabi or Dubai? Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
60,000 AED will get you a small studio with gym and pool in Abu Dhabi. 60,000 AED will get you a one bedroom with gym and pool in Dubai.

That's US $16, 300 a month, right?

And the employers pay for these apartments?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Abu Dhabi or Dubai? Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Gulezar wrote:
60,000 AED will get you a small studio with gym and pool in Abu Dhabi. 60,000 AED will get you a one bedroom with gym and pool in Dubai.

If the employer provides flats, the amount becomes moot and you probably don't even know how much it is.

or...

The employer provides a housing allowance of X amount and you have to find a place that you like for that cost. (or put in extra from your salary if it isn't enough)

Depends on employer...

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Abu Dhabi or Dubai? Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Gulezar wrote:

Wow! Sorry ... 60000 AED a year. That's approximately $1358 a month. Some landlords ask for a full year's rent; some do quarterly or biannually now. It all depends on the employer's terms and how they set you up. They might float you a loan or they might give you the flat and you never see the lease.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of people with doctorates who were required to do a CELTA before being hired at KFUPM. You will need a piece of paper. I believe these are available at a reasonable price in Bangkok and that some incumbents oif jobs at universities in KSA acquired their "certification" in this manner.
van_6000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you scot47 and everyone for your helpful responses.

I am not sure if I should start another thread with this related question, so I will ask it here, if I may:

I can enroll on two consecutive TEFL modules here in Greece: an introductory (30-hour) and an advanced (50-hour) TEFL course

The school is reputable but I am wondering if the certificates are worth pursuing, i.e., if they are accepted in Saudi or the UAE.

Participants receive a Certificate of Attendance issued by [the private American College here] which is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.

I realize that something is better than nothing, but I would rather not spend the time and the money if it is certain that, for example, the only or the most widely acceptable certificate is CELTA or NOT TEFL, etc.

Thanks again for bearing with me, everyone. I would really appreciate your advice on the above.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

van_6000 wrote:
I can enroll on two consecutive TEFL modules here in Greece: an introductory (30-hour) and an advanced (50-hour) TEFL course. The school is reputable but I am wondering if the certificates are worth pursuing, i.e., if they are accepted in Saudi or the UAE.

That might be fine for teaching EFL in Greece, but generally, Mid East employers expect to see a CELTA or other equivalent TEFL cert that entailed 120 hours of face-to-face instruction and included supervised practice teaching with real students. Don't waste your money on anything less than that.
kona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also maybe broaden your scope for other international universities in the middle east. The American University of Beirut and the American University of Cairo seem to hire phd professors of various core subjects. That is, if you feel comfortable living in those areas; the political situation is a bit unstable right now in both places. On the other hand, that means less competition for said positions.
van_6000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nomad Soul, Kona. Sorry it took me some time to respond.

kona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I need to go back on what I said. I would avoid Beirut at the moment as the news I have been reading paints a picture that the sectarian violence of Syria is coming into Lebanon. The intelligence chief was just killed in a bomb blast, and there has been sporadic gunfire in Beirut as of late.

I still would think that with a Phd, you can get an enviable position in one of the more stable MENA countries though, and in your subject area. Wikipedia top universities from each country, you will see a list of the more prestigious places of higher education, with websites and hopefully an "employment opportunities" section. Something to your liking may be found there. I know Turkey has plenty of private universities, and there may be some with jobs teaching core subjects in English, but I don't know if that is something you may have reservations about being Greek.

Finally, there are plenty of Joint Venture Universities opening up in China that teach core subjects in English. They are universities that are allied with western ones (Britain, Australia, United States, etc). You could also try there if all else fails.

Best of luck.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Beirut is currently more stable than Cairo. A group of students shut AUC down a short time ago and locked EVERYONE out. Days of negotiations got them to open the gates back up and let classes resume. The students are politically active and things are much more unstable in Cairo than it has been in many years.

VS
van_6000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kona. I have tried applying (speculative letters) with University history departments in Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Abu Dhabi but without success. Perhaps I must rethink my application tactics, though. One big problem is that ever since i left Graduate School I have been working on the ESL sector and thus have accumulated almost no teaching experience on my own area of expertise (history and politics). I tried to make up for it with publications but I am not sure if they are enough.

I also tried Turkey. So far, nothing. Oh, I would absolutely love to work there. Ha ha, I know what you mean about having reservations due to my nationality. But no, I have had many Turkish and Turkish-Cypriot friends in college, and I would have no problem whatsoever working in Turkey-- it's "my own people" who piss me off to high heaven, for many reasons, mostly political and cultural, ha ha. But then, I have not lived in Greece (apart from these last thirteen months) ever since 1984.

From a political/sociological viewpoint, it's a blessing being where I currently am (in Greece) and observing the latest developments. If I were not so worried about my future career, I would be writing papers for publication. Anyway, sorry about the digression. I really appreciate the help. Smile

Last edited by van_6000 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
van_6000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, your description, veiledsentiments, of what occurred at AUC reminds me of stories about decades' of "political" activism in Greek universities. But then, I would never have been able to work in those either -- lots of nepotism, not to mention building shut-downs/occupations, vandalism and , everyone's favourite, (sometimes) year-long student strikes without any students failing at the end of the year. I am told these are changing now because of the Troika. One hopes. Smile Egypt, however, would worry me even more due to the underlying danger of violence -- I am not sure whether I am being too paranoid about this. If I were certain that violence would not be an issue, then I would not mind working in any unorthodox place of academic employment. But I will take your advice and stay away from Syria and Egypt for the time being. Thanks again for your kind input.

Last edited by van_6000 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
van_6000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

...Mid East employers expect to see a CELTA or other equivalent TEFL cert that entailed 120 hours of face-to-face instruction and included supervised practice teaching with real students. Don't waste your money on anything less than that.

Thank you, nomad soul. Would you have any suggestions for me on where to find such a course near my current place of residence (Thessaloniki, Greece)? I looked at TEFL and CELTA websites but I do not seem to be able to find any such suitable programme near my location.

Your answer to my previous question was very clear, so please forgive my asking again, but just for my ownpeace of mind, I would like to clarify:

Am I to assume that therefore combining the hours of many, separate to each other, TEFL and CELTA courses (reaching a cumulative amount of 120 hours) will still be not acceptable to schools or government requirements in the UAE? Must the 120 hours described be the content of only one course or programme?

I am pretty sure the answer is "yes" but I just want to get this issue out of my head finally. Smile Thanks for bearing with me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that we have a hard and fast rule on that... just our perceptions. What I have found is that the employers are not good at math... or logic, so they want the simplicity of a known cert like the CELTA.

As to the actions of the AUC students, actually this was highly unusual and surely would never have happened if not for the "Arab Spring" and the current sad breakdown of much of society in Egypt right now. AUC was the best employer that I had in the Middle East... the most organized... took the best care of their teachers... and students. Best pay and benefits. Seriously, they take great care to never put their teachers at risk and I think there is more danger for women right now than men (assuming that you stay away from demonstrations).

AUB might be worth applying to also if they are advertising any openings.

But I suspect that both of them want PhD's, but keep checking their websites and see if something interesting shows up.

Syria is definitely out of the question right now.

VS
BTW... British Council in Cairo offers a CELTA course or did in the last few years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: