Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

info on university salary in dubai for historian (ESL?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
van_6000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: info on university salary in dubai for historian (ESL?) Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to ask for some info, on university work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

I am 45 years old, Greek passport (but English is my main language), a history Ph.D. from a UK university, and have worked both in the UK and Taiwan � although the greatest amount of my experience is in ESL in Taiwan (but no ESL certificates or qualifications). Also, I am married to a Taiwanese lady and we would be bringing two small pets.

I am trying to see if there may be any opportunities for teaching history or Political Science (taught in English) in Dubai or in that area.

If so, then I was wondering if it would be realistic to expect reasonable savings (nothing extravagant�I just don�t want to move there just to make ends meet-- although I DO hope we can have continuous air-conditioning, safe neighbourhood, and good medical coverage),.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Van
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try www.higheredjobs.com.
van_6000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look there, Nomad. thanks.

However, it seems it is a job search engine (and so, thanks again because I am sure I will be needing it very soon). There does not seem to be any info on the issues I am considering. Like whether teaching history in English in a Dubai University is realistic? Whether the cost of living will be less than the salary (so I can have savings) etc.

Am I using that link incorrectly?
van_6000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, is there any info in this forum or anywhere about the differences between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

I searched this forum but so far I have not found anything. Mind you, I am new here so I am sure there may be something I missed the first time around.

Any help would be most appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a forum for English language teaching, I provided the www.higheredjobs.com link because it includes a variety of university-level jobs and you stated you wanted to see if there might be opportunities for teaching history or poli-sci. You don't have a TEFL cert and your PhD is in a non-related field, which makes it tough to get a decent-paying TEFL gig. So it might be worth it to check out the link for jobs in your field and you could certainly email universities directly to see if opportunities for history professors exist. However, I think it's a bit premature to start seriously contemplating job perks, your potential savings, and costs of living in the Emirates at this point.
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At UAEU I know people who teach History through the medium of English. Not sure exactly what they teach to whom, as I know them as friends rather than colleagues. UAEU is in Al Ain which is in Abu Dhabi Emirate. Look on the UAEU web-site for available positions. Salary and the general package are better than OK.
diodeone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

van_6000 wrote:
I just had a look there, Nomad. thanks.

However, it seems it is a job search engine (and so, thanks again because I am sure I will be needing it very soon). There does not seem to be any info on the issues I am considering. Like whether teaching history in English in a Dubai University is realistic? Whether the cost of living will be less than the salary (so I can have savings) etc.

Am I using that link incorrectly?

Chronicle and Higher Ed Jobs are the best bets
http://chronicle.com/section/Jobs/61/
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the PhD you might try looking at Sheikh Zayed University and the American University of Sharjah.

With no EFL pieces of paper you are probably out of luck - most good positions require a related MA and several years of post grad experience.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUD is looking for a history professor.

http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000713858-01
van_6000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help.

diodeone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van_6000 wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help.

Also, consider Qatar University
Here's a link for their current history faculty vacancies
http://recruit.qu.edu.qa/pls/recruitment/recruiter.rec
http://recruit.qu.edu.qa/pls/recruitment/recruiter.rec

I've heard that QU is got one of the best benefit packages for Content Area Faculty in the Middle East
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Abu Dhabi or Dubai? Reply with quote

By the way, is there any info in this forum or anywhere about the differences between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

Both are nice places to live with lots of shopping malls, night life, beaches and chances to get out and enjoy desert wildlife, too. Dubai has MORE shopping and night life and beaches, but Abu Dhabi is coming on with its own film festival, cultural offerings, lecture series and WOMAD. It's only about an hour and a half from one city to the other, so you can easily hop back and forth for a weekend. 60,000 AED will get you a small studio with gym and pool in Abu Dhabi. 60,000 AED will get you a one bedroom with gym and pool in Dubai. The luxury apartment market crashed in Dubai a few years back, and many people made the daily commute to work in Abu Dhabi and enjoy the Dubai lifestyle. However, there has been a recent boom in development in Abu Dhabi and the housing options are really opening up, even on the island of Abu Dhabi.

Oh, most people seem to save more in Abu Dhabi. Dubai is consumer culture on high-octane.
van_6000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half a year after my original post, I have had many setbacks and disappointments with job-hunting (History is not in great demand and my many years of teaching ESL in the Far East do not come with a TEFL certificate).

I would be, again, grateful for people's input on the following:

I am now thinking, due to sheer desperation at this point, of looking for ESL-related agencies which recruit less qualified teachers, like me. I realize that this opens the door to exploitation.

I remember Nomad Soul who wrote,

nomad soul wrote:
...You don't have a TEFL cert and your PhD is in a non-related field, which makes it tough to get a decent-paying TEFL gig. ...

Saudi Arabia came to mind, and my desperate situation compelled me to consider some agencies there. I have had frustrating dealings with employers in the Far East and am willing to be cheated, inconvenienced and generally pissed off, as long as I at least make a decent amount of savings every year (what constitutes decent savings? That would be another issue).

The problem with Saudi Arabia, from the posts I have read, is that the disadvantages of my proposition seem to be going far beyond inconvenience. Being cheated out of , say, a day or even a month's salary is manageable-- getting deported or jailed for visa discrepancies due not to your but your agency's negligence , on the other hand, raises the bar significantly higher.

Three considerations come to mind:

1) Are there agencies in the UAE which would be willing to hire less qualified persons, like me, if they saw merit in my work experience (and in the opportunity to cut costs by hiring me?)

2) Apart from the expected inconveniences, is it also dangerous? Is it illegal? Have they been heard of causing their teachers to end up in jail or deported?

3) Is it ethical? This is not a hypocritical question. Candor demands that I admit my willingness to accept such contracts due to the aforementioned desperation of my particular situation, irrespective of how undignified such acceptance may be viewed by my peers. After all, if I get more inconveniences and less pay than better qualified teachers, then that would be fair enough, I suppose. But what I am afraid of is if such dealings work toward causing normal employers/schools themselves to consider similar methods for cost-effectiveness.

4) Already realizing that it is too uncertain and premature to say, I would nevertheless be grateful if anyone could venture an educated guess as to what sort of salaries such employees as one in my situation may be expected to receive.

Sorry about the long post. I realize I should be returning to the Far East but I wish to leave this as the last resort.

I would be, again, grateful for any feedback you all can give me.
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, without any qualifications on paper it is extremely doubtful if even the bottom feeders would look at you.

Certainly no employer that provides the regular offshore benefits (tickets, housing, medical, etc.) nor the legal residency/working docs because the Ministry would not approve you for entry/residency.

This is not a country where you want to work under the table even if you are on the list for visa on arrival countries (I don't know if Greece is) because then you would have to make visa runs regularly which would also cut into your time/money (which you wouldn't make very much of) plus having the stress of possibly being arrested and deported.

Give up the GCC for EFL gigs until or unless you get at least some acceptable type of EFL qualification on paper - the Gulf is obsessed with hires having the right letters after their names and the paperwork to substantiate it.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van_6000,

Perhaps you could consider taking a 4 week CELTA course, or possibly the DELTA, as you have years of ESL experience.

This would give you at least a minimum EFL qualification and get you on the application ladder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: