Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Jobs dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Steve Jobs dead Reply with quote

A sad day...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/apple-co-founder-steve-jobs-dies/

Sad
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in Peace....a truly great man.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I want to put a ding in the universe." ~ Steve Jobs; American entrepreneur, inventor, & co-founder of Apple Computers (1955 - 2011)
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
"I want to put a ding in the universe." ~ Steve Jobs; American entrepreneur, inventor, & co-founder of Apple Computers (1955 - 2011)

He certainly accomplished that--and a pretty big ding it is.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose."

Steve Jobs

Rest in Peace, Steve - you changed the world for the better.

Thanks,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dfeathj of Berrt Jansch on the same day moved me more.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47,

I agree Bert Jansch was a modest man with an immodest talent - an amazing acoustic guitarist and singer/songwriter.

But, not quite the same worldwide league as Steve Jobs....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Steve Jobs "action" figure a no-go Reply with quote

Don't worry; you'll get your money back...

Maker of Steve Jobs Action Figure Kills Project
By John P. Mello Jr., PCWorld | Jan 16, 2012
(Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/248238/maker_of_steve_jobs_action_figure_kills_project.html)

The maker of a controversial Steve Jobs action figure is stopping production and sale of the 12-inch doll following threats of legal action by Apple and Jobs' family.

"Though we still believe that we have not overstepped any legal boundaries, we have decided to completely stop the offer, production and sale of the Steve Jobs figurine out of our heartfelt sensitivity to the feelings of the Jobs family," Tandy Cheung, the Hong Kong businessman whose company, In Icon, created the doll, says in a statement.
A lifelike Steve Jobs doll created by In Icon.

In crafting the action figure, Cheung said, In Icon honored the copyrights and trademarks of Apple by not including any of its products or related brands with the Jobs likeness. "Unfortunately we have received immense pressure from the lawyers of Apple and Steve Jobs family," he notes. He explains that he is a great admirer of Jobs and decided to produce the action figure as a tribute to him. "His passing left me with emptiness, sadness and a feeling of great personal loss," he says. "I am sure that these sentiments are felt by all of his fans. Four years ago, I created a single figurine of Steve which I placed on my desk next to my Mac. I decided to share this memento with the rest of his fans as a commemoration to Steve."

Cheung announced his intentions to start selling the Jobs figure earlier this month. Unlike other Jobs figures on the market, which caricature Apple's co-founder, the In Icon doll had a verisimilitude described by some as "creepy."

Soon after In Icon publicized its plans for the Jobs action figure, it began receiving letters from Apple's lawyers. Initially, Cheung took a hard stance toward Apple's litigation threats. He told ABC News in an interview: "Apple can do anything they like. I will not stop, we already started production."

If Apple had been forced to take Cheung to court, it's not clear what the outcome would have been. One possible ending, though, is that distribution of the doll could be blocked in some jurisdictions and not in others.

Meanwhile, likenesses of Jobs continue to be sold on eBay. For example, a Singapore seller is offering the head of a Jobs action figure for $31. Full figures of Apple's iconic leader cost much more, from $224.99 to as much as $2500.

(End of article)
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I really don't get it. As far as I can see, Apple Macs are stylish and over-priced but I don't really see that they are any more useful than a Windows computer (leaving aside Microsoft's famous 'Start' finish button).
Opiate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
Sorry, I really don't get it. As far as I can see, Apple Macs are stylish and over-priced but I don't really see that they are any more useful than a Windows computer (leaving aside Microsoft's famous 'Start' finish button).

Apple (outside of the very early years) did not really create anything. Not saying MS did but there really was a lot more hype around Steve Jobs. Apple took existing products and made them pretty and dumbed them down for the masses. Steve Jobs would call them magical and people would buy into it.

Ipod - average media player tied to bloated and horrible software. Many media players were better and Apple entered the market late. But...it looked cool.
Iphone - average phone with many restrictions. Apps must be approved by Apple. Many lower priced alternatives with superior capabilities available. But...it looked cool.
Ipad - garbage. Many lower priced alternatives with superior capabilities available. But...it looked cool.

Apple did bring a PC to market that used a GUI first but the GUI was stolen from xerox...so was the mouse. MS stole them too. Apple's offering was a dud because of it's high price. Apple found a way later on to sell average products with a high price tag. This was the only thing magical about Apple and Steve Jobs. He learned to polish a turd and sell it.

Apple products outside of the very early years and only thanks to Visicalc....were never more useful than alternatives. There was a myth that Macs were superior for graphics designers but it was just a myth. Apple computers were more user friendly if the user had non existent or limited knowledge about computers. As I said earlier...dumbed down.

The world did not lose a creator or an inventor or somebody special. A wife lost a husband and children lost a father and of course that is sad but it is hardly a loss to the world. I fail to see how he changed the world.

Last edited by Opiate on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opiate wrote:
The world did not lose a creator or an inventor or somebody special. A wife lost a husband and children lost a father and of course that is sad but it is hardly a loss to the world. I fail to see how he changed the world.

Thank you!! Agree 100%.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alternet.org/story/154043/iempire%3A_apple%27s_sordid_business_practices_are_even_worse_than_you_think?page=entire
Opiate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikalina wrote:
http://www.alternet.org/story/154043/iempire%3A_apple%27s_sordid_business_practices_are_even_worse_than_you_think?page=entire

Yeah except....Apple is not the only company that uses Foxconn for parts and manufacturing. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a modern computer anywhere that does not have parts made at a Foxconn plant. I can promise you that the PC you used to write your post has parts made by Foxconn even if it was not made by Apple.

The article has little to do with Apple by itself, yet they call out Apple in the headline....pretty weak.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left China because I couldn't help the young women at my college who were being farmed out to the local hotels for free in Guangxi Province while the college raked in their salaries - the same system referred to in this article. This led several to go on to the larger cities under the auspices of a 'patron' to be farmed out in other ways which became the only alternative to returning to their farms as they are unable to register in any other district.

As to your point that Apple isn't the only company acting in this way, "All the others do it" can never be an excuse.

My point was that it is suggested that Steve Jobs is a role model - for what? Success?
Opiate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikalina wrote:

My point was that it is suggested that Steve Jobs is a role model - for what? Success?

I agree with your point but the article did not reinforce that. The article was a poor choice that's all. The article was basically showing how Foxconn is bad and it used Apple in the headline to generate attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: