Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Middle East an option for me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellethom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Suadi Arabia, universally, the minimum age has been changed within the past couple of months. It is now 27. From what i have been told, this is from the government, something about too many young people bringing in too much contraband...

You young folks are nuthin' but trouble Cool
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I think he is pretending to lauigh at my post. True about the fugitive from justice whom had a Juris Doctor title. Dope-related.

I once saw an ad in the Phildelphia Inquirer's "Women Seeking Men" Personals section back in the 1970s. It said "No fatties, weirdos or lawyers."
RalphReggin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main choices are china and spain, not too excsited about sand and desserts , but may consider the Middle east to earn money for a while before heading for greener pasteurs ,, womndering if i would be able to get in ? il'l be finishing up by ba degree ( bachelors ) this year and then will be heading out for parts unknowne ,, not too big on cetla , seems like a waiste of time and money but if thats what it takes to get in to the bigger dollars , in the Middle east , then i would consider it ,, sounds like it would be pretty easy what is it 150 hours or something ? sounds like it could be knocked out in 2 to 3 weeks tottal ,, i am a life long hard worker used to giveing it my all in whatever i do ,,, the only thing i worry about really is the heat ,,, but man does that Middle east money sound apeeling ,, so does any one know any peticular countries or cities that would be worth hitting up with just a ba or POSIBLY also a cetla if it comes to that ??
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphReggin wrote:
my main choices are china and spain, not too excsited about sand and desserts , but may consider the Middle east to earn money for a while before heading for greener pasteurs ,, womndering if i would be able to get in ? il'l be finishing up by ba degree ( bachelors ) this year and then will be heading out for parts unknowne ,, not too big on cetla , seems like a waiste of time and money but if thats what it takes to get in to the bigger dollars , in the Middle east , then i would consider it ,, sounds like it would be pretty easy what is it 150 hours or something ? sounds like it could be knocked out in 2 to 3 weeks tottal ,, i am a life long hard worker used to giveing it my all in whatever i do ,,, the only thing i worry about really is the heat ,,, but man does that Middle east money sound apeeling ,, so does any one know any peticular countries or cities that would be worth hitting up with just a ba or POSIBLY also a cetla if it comes to that ??

For various reasons, you're a long ways from getting a TEFL job in the Mid East. Finish your BA, get a CELTA, gain some years of experience (most likely in Asia), and then go for a related MA before seriously considering a teaching job in the region.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be rude... but merely honest about the situation... if this is an example of your English writing skill level, I doubt that you could make it through the CELTA since spelling, punctuation, and grammar counts. You also need to know basic sentence structure. Remember that your readers here are a bunch of English teachers who cringe when they read a post like this. Laughing

If I assume that you pounded that off with no thought or proofreading on your iphone, Cool I'd inform you that there is nothing for you in the Middle East without a CELTA, which normally takes a month... PLUS... you would need a couple years of teaching experience under your belt. The Middle East pays well because they have the money and can demand good credentials. The jobs that pay serious money require an MA.

My advice would be to head to Asia (or Spain) which is the place to start for newbies to the field. Once you have the BA + CELTA + a few years of actual teaching to put on your CV, that will be the time to look into the Middle East.

VS
RalphReggin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for hitting me back ,,, most likeley thats what im going to do , asia ,, minue the celta and masters ,, china is looking good at this point , the life style seems light years better than the middle/ gul region .. but still considering options so if any one has ideas about places to go , hit me up . thanks . its going to be towards the end og this year / begining of next year that i head out .
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , McNedelsky !

In your post you mention that you did some unpaid work on the West Bank. Were you involved with some volunteer organisation, or what ? Although you were not paid a salary, were you at least provided with free accommodation/meals - and, possibly, some " pocket money ".

PM me, if necessary.

Many thanks,

Peter
Dominic-Pax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Middle East an option for me? Reply with quote

overhere wrote:
Just wondering if the Middle East is an option for someone with my background or am is it pretty much off limits to me. Any feedback is appreciated.

Native English Speaker/U.S. Citizen

Male, white

50 years old in excellent health

Juris Doctorate. Masters of Public Administration, Masters of Labor Relations, Masters of Social Work. Bachelors of Social Work.

24 years of management experience in the public sector

Many years as a Human Resource Trainer

Managed a large training department

Managed a Career Center

experience as a career counselor/academic advisor

adjunct instructor at a career college (teaching mostly business related classes)

3 years volunteer ESL teaching experience at a local non profit

willing to pursure a CELTA if it increases my chances (actually will most likely do one anyway to improve my skills)

Also is driving absolutely essential in the ME or can you get by without it?

Thank you

It is not a question about whether your will get a job or not. The issue is whether you will get the job you want or will make you happy. Unfortunately, you don't have a lot of experience in the field and you have no teaching qualifications. JD sounds good, but you won't be a real competitor for someone like me who has an MA TESOL with nearly a decade of experience in several countries.

Voluntary ESL teaching is not the same as doing it full-time as a job. I am curious what this entailed.

You should not be willing to do a CELTA. You need to have the CELTA in your hands.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badar Bin Bada Boom wrote:
Very hard to get by without driving in the Middle East. This is my opinion after 16 years in the UAE and KSA combined.

Wow, three master's and a JD. But no Middle East background. Volunteer ESL doesn't count. You need a degree in applied linguistics, English or ESL plus the CELTA--minimum. With your background only the universities would be suitable, aside from the fact that you need teacher certification at the schools. For the univs. you need two or three years' post-MA experience. Sometimes they accept people with the ESL / linguistics BA + CELTA + 3 years' experience but then they expect you to complete a suitable online master's. I assume you don't want to go for a fourth one.

You may well qualify for a content (anything but EFL) position. Hard to say.

I have co-workers in Qatar with degrees in a variety of unrelated subjects. The same was true in Saudi. I think all he needs is the CELTA, and he'd have an excellent chance of getting a decent job somewhere in the ME.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphReggin wrote:

Ok, after looking at this post I have to retract what I have just said. If the OP's CV is anything like the quoted text then it'll be straight into the bin. Seriously, are you trolling or what? And what does your lack of a sweet tooth have to do with looking for a job? Laughing
kona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulgogiboy wrote:
RalphReggin wrote:

Ok, after looking at this post I have to retract what I have just said. If the OP's CV is anything like the quoted text then it'll be straight into the bin. Seriously, are you trolling or what? And what does your lack of a sweet tooth have to do with looking for a job? Laughing

bulgogiboy, I think your mixing two separate posters up: overhere has three MA's and a JD, and RalphReggin is the one with bad punctuation and spelling. Maybe you could address the OP instead of the other guy that butted into the thread.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and worked in a number of jobs in KSA and for most of my 17 years there I had no car.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I lived and worked in a number of jobs in KSA and for most of my 17 years there I had no car.

In KSA, employers often provide a ride to work. In the rest of the Gulf, none of my employers did. Taxis were expensive and difficult to get often times, so I felt that a car was crucial.

But, I'm wondering where this question was asked... is this answer on the wrong thread. Laughing

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS: From the original post in this thread:

overhere wrote:

Also is driving absolutely essential in the ME or can you get by without it?

Smile

I managed to get by without a car in some places in the Middle East, but in others it was an absolute necessity if one wanted any quality of life. Public transportation is usually sketchy to non-existent (the locals almost all have cars) and as VS said, taxis can be a pain as the drivers are often both larcenous and directionally-challenged. In much of the UAE, Riyadh, Jeddah and the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia you could probably get by without a car. Bahrain is a bit more of a challenge, and in Muscat you can just about forget it, unless you want to live like hermit or spend most of your salary on taxis. It really does depend to a large extent on where you are based.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
In much of the UAE, Riyadh, Jeddah and the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia you could probably get by without a car.

I guess the "post reply" page didn't go back far enough to find the question. Laughing

I went for about three months using taxis in Abu Dhabi, but found that when we got out of work in the afternoon was apparently siesta time for taxis because it could take up to 30 minutes for an available taxi to pass by... not pleasant when it is over 40C outside.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: