Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELT Publishers, Academia & Us - disparate worlds?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: ELT Publishers, Academia & Us - disparate worlds? Reply with quote

Does anyone else get the sense these 3 worlds are largely independent of one another: ELT publishing, academia, and teachers?

Perhaps, it's because I've mostly taught here in China... under limited supervision... often with inferior coursebooks... with newbies that usually have less training than I with my 100 hr TESOL (even Pearson-owned Longman Schools provided appalling little in the way of prof dev)... or the fact I haven't had access to or read a lot of theory.

But I've always felt there's something far more fundamentally flawed with this profession, if you can even call it that!

Then last month's Apple education announcement clinched it for me. The problem, as I see it rests with the very nature of the education publishing industry. We all know they exist to produce texts of fact-based knowledge and exercises intended for individual study. But current trends in public education stress community-based, hands-on, experiential learning rather than individual learning.

As I'd experienced in a grade 4 recently, texts are for the most part, shelved. When you think about it, learning had always been a communal activity until the Industrial Revolution institutionalized learning via the textbook and public school teachers to preach from it.

ELT publishers are no different. They largely ignore the needs of language learners--not because they don't consult with academics, but because they're in the business of publishing volumes of passive language knowledge when what's always been needed is interactive tools. How many student workbooks contain word-search puzzles, or cloze exercises of limited value to the student trying to improve their fluency or accuracy? Have academics even studied the merit of such time-wasters?

Take electronic dictionaries for example, around since the '80s. Publishers license content to manufacturers who generally have even less understanding of the needs of the language learner. So, instead of allowing full manipulation of the content as one could do with a conventional database, (sorting by category, frequency, part of speech, previously looked up, etc, etc), such data is still largely restricted to alphabetic ordering, no different than the printed version.
golsa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ELT Publishers, Academia & Us - disparate worlds? Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
How many student workbooks contain word-search puzzles, or cloze exercises of limited value to the student trying to improve their fluency or accuracy? Have academics even studied the merit of such time-wasters?

I'm sure publishers know word searches and other such puzzles have very low value, but they don't care. The puzzles are filler items and nothing else.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a part of the gap is that publishers want as wide an audience as possible, and learners really need tasks and materials that are focused on their specific context.

This by definition means that everything in a book, from themes to functions to task type, is all generic to a very high degree - and decided upon with zero knowledge of or reference to any particular group of learners.

When I've been forced to use textbooks (as a curriculum designer, I avoid whenever possible), it's challenging to justify many of the tasks and goals in most books to my students. The materials and tasks always need editing and supplementation to fit the context. In short, textbooks can be as much work as they are time-savers.

If publishers could/would focus more tightly on different market segments (eg: German native adult professionals working in finance and accounting, with English at the B1-B2 level), the books would be far more useful. The writers could then take into account factors starting from learning culture (does this group of students feel comfortable taking control of their learning or are they more reliant upon teacher and book to lead them?) to interests and needs - and research in the field could be far better applied.

It seems economically feasible to narrow the markets for any particular book in this way to me; perhaps there simply isn't a will to take advantage of it (or maybe it hasn't really occurred to the major publishers that this would be far more interesting, useful, and effective) Shocked .
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found textbooks more of a hindrance than a help, and was never able to design an effective class without additional materials. Normally, learning English (or any language) is about what is actually needed in the moment, and no amount of grammar-studying and irrelevant articles is going to provide that - at least not in a reasonable time-frame. The only justification for me is for the lazy teacher who can't be bothered to prepare his class and just wants to run down the time until payday. Most students soon see throught that!
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ELT Publishers, Academia & Us - disparate worlds? Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
Does anyone else get the sense these 3 worlds are largely independent of one another: ELT publishing, academia, and teachers?

YES! Academia here in the U.S. pretty much sees ELT as being something for the "continuing education" dept.

LongShiKong wrote:
But I've always felt there's something far more fundamentally flawed with this profession, if you can even call it that!

In some places it is very flawed, while in other places one can save a little. No clear career path maybe?

But then again there is that laidback lifestyle. I'm sure it's great in SK and the ME.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure publishers know word searches and other such puzzles have very low value, but they don't care. The puzzles are filler items and nothing else.

Fillers they may be, but students love them. I suppose it's because they're quick, and give immediate "reward". (You find the word, highlight it, and then that's one less to find.)

Quote:
The only justification for me is for the lazy teacher who can't be bothered to prepare his class and just wants to run down the time until payday. Most students soon see through that!

Do they? I think that many students expect you to follow a coursebook. But the teacher's value is more than just going through the exercises: it's in explaining, clarifying, offering additional practice, and so on.

This isn't always something you can prepare for before the class. But a skilled, experienced teacher knows when extra is needed, and can provide it. Students pay for that expertise and experience and it shines through whatever materials the teacher is using.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elephant in the room (certainly in monolingual settings such as in China) is always the students' first language. If students invested in quality books (and I'm sure there are at least a few available in whichever country) that actually included judicious explanation in L1 with truly adequate exemplification in L2, they could be up to speed a lot quicker, and then merely needing genuine interaction with native or advanced speakers of the language to help cement what's been learnt (and of course to learn more besides).

But for some reason (and it's a natural enough mistake to make), lower-level learners especially believe that having access to a(n often inexperienced though somehow "qualified") native speaker sooner rather than later will be of such great help with more than just pronunciation (and which EFL course includes even a thorough grounding in pronunciation and orthography nowadays!), so they invest quite indefensible amounts of money on classes and glossy books that reduce everything down to such manageable proportions (and usually never more than that - that inexperienced teacher again!) that learning slows rather than accelerates (compared to the "harder", less appealing self-study route).

And obviously the language schools and teachers aren't going to direct these prospective students to good self-study resources with a cheerful 'And maybe, but only maybe, come back later, if you haven't quite been able to get, or still feel you need, some extra practice in conversing' (even though "conversing" - 'You students now talk amongst yourselves while I sit back and monitor you, and get all huffity when you dare to break into L1 out of pure necessity' - is pretty much all that most schools insist upon and do even at the lower levels).

LSK wrote:
Take electronic dictionaries for example, around since the '80s. Publishers license content to manufacturers who generally have even less understanding of the needs of the language learner. So, instead of allowing full manipulation of the content as one could do with a conventional database, (sorting by category, frequency, part of speech, previously looked up, etc, etc), such data is still largely restricted to alphabetic ordering, no different than the printed version.

One can manipulate the content quite fully with the usually excellent CD-ROMs now sold along with the paper editions of these learner dictionaries, and they are obviously cheaper than the electronic dictionaries (though one will of course need a PC to play the disc). Then there are the possible computational and certainly the display limitations of these small electronic dictionaries. For just what the electronic dictionaries can do however, they are probably more convenient to carry than the average PC. Another advantage of the electronic dictionary is that it will at least allow one to search across the full range of examples included (many of which will come from works from a range of publishers), whereas with a CD-ROM from a single publisher, you are obviously confined to just their range of examples (though that will usually be quite sufficient in most cases e.g. the Longman CD-ROM includes not only the LDOCE, but also the Language Activator and more besides; then there is/was the great Collins COBUILD on CD-ROM - Dictionary [3rd edn], Thesaurus, Grammar, Usage guide, Wordbank). By the way, every electronic dictionary I've ever used has actually had a 'History' or similar button/function, allowing the user to survey previously looked-up items.

IMHO the best solution I've so far seen offered for these sorts of problems are the lexical syllabuses (read, empirical syllabuses) developed by the likes of COBUILD (but whether the actual COBUILD English Course, with its semi-scripted task-based dialogues, was the best way to instantiate the data and general approach, is another matter - see for example the third link):
http://www.wordtrends.org/publ/Lexical_Syllabus.pdf
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/cels/research/resources/lexical-syllabus.aspx
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=50FZuXAm-70C&pg=PA27&dq=schmitt+mccarthy+cobuild&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YOxCT9KlMISp0QWCss2PDw&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=schmitt%20mccarthy%20cobuild&f=false
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I think that a part of the gap is that publishers want as wide an audience as possible, and learners really need tasks and materials that are focused on their specific context.
I agree, and I also agree with what you wrote about "If publishers could/would focus more tightly on different market segments (eg: German native adult professionals working in finance and accounting, with English at the B1-B2 level), the books would be far more useful."

It seems that more ESP books along those lines are being written, although designing them for different levels of fluency is difficult. Moreover, when you have general conversation courses, where there is no single group of people with a specific job-oriented goal, what can you do? Go with the multitude of generic 4-skills task texts or spend an enormous amount of time making your own materials. It is only after a few years that people feel comfortable using & recycling what they've created in the past (and I admit that it seems every year I re-design my syllabuses anyway, so every year it's something new).

I haven't really used a textbook in years. Can't find anything suitable.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

So true! Show me a book that's even written for an Asian, let alone a Chinese for example. It's definitely not due to author ignorance. Spiral78 may be right about the 'economic feasibility' of narrowcasting to niche markets, but that's not what publishing empires were originally set up for. I hope I'm wrong but if there's ever going to be custom courseware for German accountants learning English, it's either because we've individually or collaboratively created it, or because we've paid Spiral78 the nominal fee to download it from iTunes or elsewhere.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

So true! Show me a book that's even written for an Asian, let alone a Chinese for example.

http://www.amazon.cn/%E7%89%9B%E6%B4%A5%E8%8B%B1%E8%AF%AD%E7%94%A8%E6%B3%95%E6%8C%87%E5%8D%97-%E6%96%AF%E6%97%BA/dp/B003IVY7Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329796468&sr=8-1

Granted, Swan's PEU by way of translation isn't exactly a textbook written specifically for the Chinese learner of English, but it points to what is possible.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
The elephant in the room (certainly in monolingual settings such as in China) is always the students' first language.

This is particularly why I feel the (ELT) academia and publishers have largely abandoned us. Such dual language works are often written by non-native speakers with limited L2 ability. The result being that here in China, English tests are not English, but the test creators version of English, or Chinglish, as it's commonly referred to.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that book translators have such 'limited L2 ability' (their English is probably a darn sight better than most native English teachers' Chinese!), but sure, high school tests and the like can be pretty dodgy. Unfortunately that isn't the ELT publisher's domain/jurisdiction though (not that I think the average ELT textbook would provide many answers, as others and I have said above).
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
I'm not sure that book translators have such 'limited L2

You're right. By the way, I checked your link to find that the Grammar in Use series is now translated in Chinese--it used to be just the front matter.

As eTeaching via smartboards, ebooks, and iPads becomes more and more ubiquitous, publishers will hopefully compete for narrower market segments. Print publishing is far less adaptable to such narrowcasting.

PS: For a related thread on the Tech Forum: iPads, Apps, and Education
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of general English, I dont think course books are a bad thing at all, and I actually quite like using them. I dont really care if its Asian specific or not TBH. (Im in China now, and often teach using Face2Face). Sure, some of the topics are very Euro-centric, and whilst that isnt ideal, its the actual skills used/presented that tends to trump a topic IMO.

I wish there was a similar publishing industry built around learning other lanuages, specifically Chinese, as I havent yet found any learning source for China that comes anywhere near matching the material I teach English with.

I dont feel publishing and teaching are so far about...but academia often seems to be. I think this is true of many fields versus their academic counterparts.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
As eTeaching via smartboards, ebooks, and iPads becomes more and more ubiquitous,
I'm going to be a bit cranky on this topic. Smartboards are pretty darned expensive for institutions. ebooks are lovely, but they need to be graded if you want any extensive reading program to be effective. And, as for iPads (or similar technology), show me a large population of students who are willing to shell out the money for them vs. an electronic dictionary (which I think they don't need) or a netbook/laptop. You are going to have to have 99% of the classroom population owning such devices before they can be put to use. People talk nowadays about making use of cell phones, and although pretty much most students in my country have them, I don't see them as more than peripheral devices to learning. There are still a lot of differences between phones that preclude a perfect use of them for all situations, I think.

The concept of technology helping EFL teachers is one thing, but the practicalities are another, IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: