Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances in Czech?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sockerox99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Chances in Czech? Reply with quote

I have a 20 hour TEFL certificate and will be graduating college in May with a Bachelor�s in English. I�m planning on going to Prague this August and pounding the pavement every day looking for interviews. Now, I know that the job market there has gotten very competitive over the last couple years and that language schools there set up their graduates with jobs there. So, I�m wondering what my chances would be if I arrived in early August to find a job (I wouldn�t be opposed to working in another Czech city if I had a better chance there).

So would you say that, �If you really go out there every day you will almost certainly find a position by September,� or �Maybe you should go to a country with a less competitive market.�

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is the 20-hour cert. Prague hosts five or six very reputable TEFL training centres, where grads come out with CELTA or equivalent: 120 hours on site including at least 6 hours of supervised teaching practice with real students.

Trying to compete with a 20 hour cert and nothing else will be VERY difficult in the entire region, not just in Prague!! (Bad news: your BA in English doesn't give you much of a leg up).

Consider timing: most schools take holidays in early August - you are best off to arrive at the end of the month. Google Schengen zone if you are not familiar - you have 90 days to get a contract with a school that will help you go through the work permit paperwork.

Your best bet would probably be to sign up for a certification course in Prague in August, get properly certified, and start applying for jobs at the end of the course (this is commonly done and optimises your chances of finding an employer who will help you get the necessary legal paperwork).
RalphReggin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is CETLA the only TEOSL that is excepted or can other brand names be subsituted in the Czech Republic?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated earlier, there are generic courses that meet the CELTA equivalent standard. Online courses don't as they don't include the required teaching practice:

Quote:
Prague hosts five or six very reputable TEFL training centres, where grads come out with CELTA or equivalent: 120 hours on site including at least 6 hours of supervised teaching practice with real students

If you have an equivalent cert with the 120 hours on site and supervised teaching practice, it should be accepted by local employers.
sockerox99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: