Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching and Surfing: Spain or South America???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Teaching and Surfing: Spain or South America??? Reply with quote

I have been in Dublin teaching for some time and feel that I should reward myself with a warmer climate. The time has come for me to learn another language fluently and to teach a different type of student. most students in Dublin are Chinese and forced to study english everyday, so I would like to teach students who aren't forced to learn.

I want to move somewhere where there is decent surfing for all levels of difficulty and at the same time, enough variety of schools so that I am not putting all my eggs in one basket, or working for chump change. I don't know how language schools are in every country, but I have managed to meet some super villan school owners here and I know that there needs to be an out, if things at one school become intolerable!

Can anyone help me? Wink
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. This is your automated response from the Spanish Forum.

Hoping to find students who are learning because they are not obligated is a bit optimistic, as here in Spain many do so because either their parents make them or their bosses do. There are good schools everywhere and bad schools too. But you knew that, right?

As for the sets (of waves) here on the Mediterranean, I personally don't rate them (not a lot of tide here, maybe). Depends how good or committed a surfer you are. Maybe Galicia or Portugal would be better?
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: salaries are worse in Spain than in Ireland Reply with quote

In Spain you will be working for working for "chump change" for sure!, and as far as I know the waves are not good for surfing but I dont know much about surfing.

I heard teaching English is much better paid in Ireland.
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chump change"?! Here?! In Spain?! Never! *Cough* *Cough*
AcidBurn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching and Surfing: Spain or South America??? Reply with quote

TBone wrote:
I have been in Dublin teaching for some time and feel that I should reward myself with a warmer climate. The time has come for me to learn another language fluently and to teach a different type of student. most students in Dublin are Chinese and forced to study english everyday, so I would like to teach students who aren't forced to learn.

I want to move somewhere where there is decent surfing for all levels of difficulty and at the same time, enough variety of schools so that I am not putting all my eggs in one basket, or working for chump change. I don't know how language schools are in every country, but I have managed to meet some super villan school owners here and I know that there needs to be an out, if things at one school become intolerable!

Can anyone help me? Wink

Brazil has awesome surfing, and supposedly there is ESL opportunity there. Pay, however, is not so good and you may be struggling to get by.
TBone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick replies, though i was hoping for better news on the surfing front...

you might be right about salaries being better in ireland but the cost of living is astronomical in this country(Ireland). I am a native New Yorker, and everything, Food, beer, cigarettes, clothes, DVDs,etc. is cheaper in Manhattan, with the sole exception of rent, than things are in dublin. so your wage might be higher but is getting flushed just as fast (literally!). how bad are wages in Spain, since none of you seem too content with them? Question
AcidBurn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBone wrote:
thanks for the quick replies, though i was hoping for better news on the surfing front...

you might be right about salaries being better in ireland but the cost of living is astronomical in this country(Ireland). I am a native New Yorker, and everything, Food, beer, cigarettes, clothes, DVDs,etc. is cheaper in Manhattan, with the sole exception of rent, than things are in dublin. so your wage might be higher but is getting flushed just as fast (literally!). how bad are wages in Spain, since none of you seem too content with them? Question

Cool. I'm from Queens myself. I have lived in a few other places as well and I would agree that things are pretty cheap in NYC, aside from rent. Rent just kills everything.
Libs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the only place where you can surf in Spain is Tarifa, the most southerly point of the country. I can't talk about wages there, not great I would imagine, but if you're willing to work, you should get enough to live on and enjoy yourself. And ... the weather's great there for most of the year.
Tricky Woo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent several weeks in Malaga a few summers ago, and I can't remember seeing even a single surfboard there. I don't think surfing is a Euro thing.
And Tarifa's a hole.

Awesome surfing in Mexico, however, especially Acapulco and the Baja.
Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about surfing not being a surfing thing; it's certainly around. But it's true that I haven't seen half as much here as I did when I lived down under. If the surfing is as important to the OP as the posts would suggest, then I think South America is going to be the way forward.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfing doesn't really happen much on the med... I guess it's too flat, not that I'm an expert...

However, Northern Spain is supposed to be pretty good for surfing alon the north coast, as is the west coast of France round Biarritz and places like that....

Having said all that Brazil would be a far better place for surfing, but South American jobs come with South American wages
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: