Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL Columbia or NYU experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vecchia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: MA TESOL Columbia or NYU experiences Reply with quote

Hi all I was wondering if some of you would take the time to describe your experiences on either program. I applied to both and have been accepted to both but I would really like some more information about what the programs are really like!

I realise there are a few old posts but things change, new faculty members etc
Thanks in advance
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give my 2 cents worth about MA TESOL programs in NY. Take it or leave it since I do not have experience with the schools you mention in question.

I did an MS TESOL at City College of the City University of New York through the New York City Teaching Fellows. The Master's cost me around $4000 because it was heavily subsidized by New York City, and gave a lot of assistance certifying me as a public school teacher in ESL and then placing me in a public school. I could work and study at the same time as a full salaried teacher.

Both Columbia and NYU effectively would yearly tuitions that are 2000 to 3000% more expensive (assuming the NYC Teaching Fellows still subsidizes at the same level). But, if cost is no issue it is informative to know that most professor I studied with trained at Columbia University or NYU. So, if your aim is to be a professor at least in New York City - these 2 universities are a good way to go.

If you do the more affordable public school route without the teaching fellows, you can still get quite affordable tuition and finish your studies with a PhD if you are so bound at the Graduate Center at the City University of New York.

If money is no issue, sorry for making you read my post!
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Columbia, so I can only speak for this program. I enjoy it a lot. I've found all of the classes I've taken within my department to be very good. I would recommend the TESOL or Applied Linguistics tracks. I am doing TESOL with the optional K-12 state certification. For me, Columbia was also quite a bit cheaper ($15,000-$20,000) than NYU, as the tuition was lower and fewer credits were required.

I don't go to NYU, but I've heard that it's considered more "practical." I got the CELTA before I started, so I actually felt that I needed additional grounding in the language.

The last poster is correct; most professors and university lecturers in NYC went to either NYU or Columbia. I currently work at NYU and credit the program for helping me get my job. If you want to go this route, I would recommend one of these two programs. NYU has a good reputation worldwide, but I believe that Columbia's is even more well-respected.

However, unless you have a trust fund or huge savings, it's a big financial commitment. There are places and/or school around the world when you can work tax-free and rent-free and pay it down.
Vecchia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I visited both universities for tours and I had a chat with a couple of faculty members. I found TC to be more organised, open and helpful so I've accepted to go there. Although the Ma tesol seems to be more theoretical rather than pedagogical at TC, I noticed you can supplement your course with breadth modules whilst also having reasonable freedom for the research project. Also, I felt a real community spirit at TC!
Yes it is very pricey but I genuinely believe it will open more doors for me in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: