Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GREECE std of living

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeechemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: GREECE std of living Reply with quote

I am the only greek american in the US who has never been there. I need to check it out. My mom's side is from Icaria and it is famous for people who chain smoke and live to be 95.

In 96 a friend of mine whomarried a girl from greece moved there for 2 yrs and taught at an english speaking college. He called me and said it's great cigarettes 35 cents a pack, ouzo a buck for a small bottle, awesome meals 5 bucks. They moved to washington DC in 98 and went back in 06 (euro in full effect). He said its nuts, 9 bucks for a wine coller and meals that were 5 bucks in 96 are now 25 bucks. Coffees are 4 bucks:

Opinions?
kateh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are much on a par with the rest of Europe, unfortunately wages are not. As a teacher you would earn a reasonable salary compared to other people and you can have a great life but don't expect any luxuries. I live in Athens and the prices you quote seem a bit high, although as a Brit, I am not completely sure of the Euro/Dollar exchange rate.

You can eat out locally (i.e. not in the centre of Athens) for about 15-18� a head, buy 'barrel' wine which is very drinkable at about 4� a litre, a coffee will cost you about 3� so long as you avoid the overpriced 'chain' coffee houses. Cigarettes are about 3� a pack. Cosmetics and toiletries seem expensive but are the same as in the UK and the rest of Europe which is no doubt a result of globalisation.

Basically you can still live quite cheaply in Greece if you watch your pennies e.g. buy your vegetables at the local market, not at the supermarket, eat out as a treat not as the norm, have a cheap night out at the cinema and just enjoy life. In other words, live like the Greeks.

BTW I went to Ikaria this summer and it is a wonderful island with a fascinating history and, compared to other more 'touristy' islands, it is quite cheap.
Don't be put off by prices - Greece is a wonderful country and you'll love it!
yankeechemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am planning to check out greece next summer. Over the holidays I am looking to hit tenerife for a week, it is inexpensive and looks great
barabbas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the Eurozone is cheap (for now!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: