Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico Whys
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Mexico Whys Reply with quote

Now we have an off-topic forum... and it's Friday, time for another of those fun threads we used to enjoy so much, I think.

To kick off, puzzling questions about Mexico.

Why is bread for hot-dogs called "Medias Noches" (Midnights, nearly or tights/pantyhose for using at night)?

Why is the second syllable of those companies that included a reference to Mexico (Pemex, Cemex, Comex) not pronounced as in "Mexico"? (Pemeccchhh, anyone?)

Why doesn't Mexico require Canadian/US tourists to have a visa? (Seems fair to me!)

Answers and more questions please!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people refer to something happening a week from today as happening in 8 days?

Quote:
Why doesn't Mexico require Canadian/US tourists to have a visa? (Seems fair to me!)

$$$
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we answer or are these purely retorical? Razz
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Can we answer or are these purely retorical? Razz

For sure, I'm sure there are some rational explanations.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, US and Canadian tourist do need visas, it's just that the visa does not need to be arranged in advance, it is issued upon arrival.

As for the eight days, they count this day twice. For something happening Next Friday, they don't start counting with tomorrow (Saturday), but with today. As�: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday=8 days. But that same rendering, two weeks is 15 days, but what puzzels me is how 3 weeks is 20 days? Now they are no longer up a day, but down a day?

In Mexico, the X combines with the i to make the "ji" sound. But the x in Comex is pronounced like the x in Coixtlahuaca (which has no vowel to combine with).

Media noches--quien sabe, maybe we should phone Bimbo's 1-800 number and ask?
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just for the record, US and Canadian tourist do need visas, it's just that the visa does not need to be arranged in advance, it is issued upon arrival.

But that's the same visa that everyone has to have, and it doesn't have a charge. I was playing Devil's Advocate, suggesting that, particularly in the case of Canada who introduced the visa requirement more recently, Mexico should retaliate for Canada making Mexicans life more difficult!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico only retaliated by making Canadian diplomats file an extra form or two coming into the country.

Mexico can't really do anything more about it.

Prior to needing visas, the number of Mexicans visiting Canada was in the thousands. Canada doesn't seem to care much about the lost tourist revenue as it isn't much. They do care about guest worker visas though...

The number of Canadians visiting Mexico each year is close to a million. Mexico competes with a lot of other tourist destinations for those visitors...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Why do people refer to something happening a week from today as happening in 8 days?

Well, I can answer this one. It is Mexico, and you don't REALLY expect it to be ready in a week, do you?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:

But that's the same visa that everyone has to have, and it doesn't have a charge. I was playing Devil's Advocate, suggesting that, particularly in the case of Canada who introduced the visa requirement more recently, Mexico should retaliate for Canada making Mexicans life more difficult!

It one time it was included in the price of your plane ticket. I always used to argue with them (occasionally with success) that I shouldn't have to pay it, since I don't need a visa. I don't know if that is still the case. There also used to be an airport tax that you had to pay, in cash. But that is going back a while. Maybe that is included in plane tickets too?
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mexico Whys Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
...Why is bread for hot-dogs called "Medias Noches" (Midnights, nearly or tights/pantyhose for using at night)?...
My question is why you'd have to ask such a question? Seems obvious to me for umm... several reasons.

Draggin' Lady
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mexico Whys Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Phil_K wrote:
...Why is bread for hot-dogs called "Medias Noches" (Midnights, nearly or tights/pantyhose for using at night)?...
My question is why you'd have to ask such a question? Seems obvious to me for umm... several reasons.

Draggin' Lady

Shocked Laughing must be Friday night...

Quote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Well, I can answer this one. It is Mexico, and you don't REALLY expect it to be ready in a week, do you?

touch�
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:

Mexico needs both the tourism and the money that it brings from both the USA & Canada, while Canada and the US can enact much stricter restrictions on tourist visas without much worry.

In other words, any lost tourist revenue for the USA is worth it as the number of Mexicans (and others from the 3rd world) who overstay their tourist visas outweighs any benefits from possible legit tourism.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they put entire pieces of chicken in the soap??? it'd be easier to eat and more meal for the pesos if they chopped it up like the rest of the world.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing more annoying in the shower than finding they put giant chunks of chicken in your soap.

Quote:
Why do they put entire pieces of chicken in the soap???
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
There's nothing more annoying in the shower than finding they put giant chunks of chicken in your soap.

Quote:
Why do they put entire pieces of chicken in the soap???

Typically it would just be the soap South of the .......

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: