Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico Whys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:
There's nothing more annoying in the shower than finding they put giant chunks of chicken in your soap.

Quote:
Why do they put entire pieces of chicken in the soap???

Typically it would just be the soap South of the .......

Wink

Cheeky jarocha... Wink

I suppose one might get hungry in the shower...a time saver for we busy chilangoes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Why do they put entire pieces of chicken in the soap??? it'd be easier to eat and more meal for the pesos if they chopped it up like the rest of the world.

Because your bowl looks fuller with less actual food would be my guess.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Why do they put entire pieces of chicken in the soap??? it'd be easier to eat and more meal for the pesos if they chopped it up like the rest of the world.

...and on the other hand, they put very little of what SHOULD be in something (if that makes sense!)

E.g. A tiny piece of chicken in a tamal and one raisin (not joking!) in a bar of alegr�a.

Last edited by Phil_K on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
...and one raisin (not joking!) in a bar of alegr�a.
Are you sure it was... a raisin?

DL
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
wrote:
...and one raisin (not joking!) in a bar of alegr�a.
Are you sure it was... a raisin?

DL

Well, as alegr�a looks like birdseed, could it be...? Very Happy
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are Mexicans so fond of jello? They don't even do anything to it, just make it plain.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Why are Mexicans so fond of jello? They don't even do anything to it, just make it plain.

Not actually true! I've seen many creations with different colours and with fruit inside... ironically, sometimes just one prune (see one of my previous posts).

Why are all the sandwiches sold in OXXO and 7-Eleven a combination of some kind of cold meat and cheese? What about prawn cocktail, BLT, egg mayonnaise, etc.?

Last edited by Phil_K on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are some-bilcolored jellos, and that odd prune in the bottem--not even pitted! but most often at kids parties, maybe you don't go to those Phil? you get just plain jello with your cake. I understand not having icecream but cake and jello? Just give me the cake. It's not like jello is special.

And sandwiches? With the exception of tortas, Mexicans just do not get the beauty of the sandwich.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
MotherF wrote:

Not actually true! I've seen many creations with different colours and with fruit inside... ironically, sometimes just one prune (see one my previous posts).

Before coming to Mexico, I'd never seen such imaginative creations with jello.

Phil_K wrote:
...Why are all the sandwiches sold in OXXO and 7-Eleven a combination of some kind of cold meat and cheese? What about prawn cocktail, BLT, egg mayonnaise, etc.?

Phil_K, as for your other suggestions for pre-packaged sandwiches - shelf life might be a problem. Sad

DL

And just a side note: In Holland and many other European countries, pre-packaged cold meat sandwiches are more often than not made with horse meat; in Spain - meat from the the bulls slaughtered at bull fights, which is why their bulls are not given steroids. In Portugal, the bulls are not killed - hence, cheese sandwiches only?

Alas, what is the meat in pre-packaged meat sandwiches sold here?

DL
DebMer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not refrigerating certain perishables, like mayonnaise. This was a big shocker to me my first few months living with a Mexican family.

About 8 months into my stay in Mexico I worked in an orphanage where we were taught to boil the huge pot of beans after dinner, put the lid on, turn off the flame and leave it there. Repeat the next night, and each night thereafter until the pot was empty. Nobody every got sick off of said beans.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

Well, maybe where you live, but here in DF it is an art form! There are classes to create all kinds of elaborate Jello deserts. Some are beautiful! Transparent jello with flowers made of flavors of Jello just under the surface.
Courses in making elaborate Jello desserts abound!

[img]http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6374/copiade1000903ur6.jpg[/img]
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:
Not refrigerating certain perishables, like mayonnaise. This was a big shocker to me my first few months living with a Mexican family.

About 8 months into my stay in Mexico I worked in an orphanage where we were taught to boil the huge pot of beans after dinner, put the lid on, turn off the flame and leave it there. Repeat the next night, and each night thereafter until the pot was empty. Nobody every got sick off of said beans.

Hmmm......I resemble those remarks......and I don't keep butter and eggs in the fridge either........
DebMer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
MotherF wrote:

Well, maybe where you live, but here in DF it is an art form! There are classes to create all kinds of elaborate Jello deserts. Some are beautiful! Transparent jello with flowers made of flavors of Jello just under the surface.
Courses in making elaborate Jello desserts abound!

[img]http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6374/copiade1000903ur6.jpg[/img]

That's an impressive looking dessert!
DebMer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
DebMer wrote:

Hmmm......I resemble those remarks......and I don't keep butter and eggs in the fridge either........

Very Happy
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who had not seen elaborate jello creations before coming to Mexico obviously did not grow up in the state where Better Homes and Gardens has it's base of operations. Rolling Eyes Savory molded salad anyone?

Cooked beans are so not perisable as long as two conditions are met--the daily high temp does not pass 30 degrees and the are re-boiled daily. If they are left sitting look warm, like on a hot day or on the coast, they will go bad, but in the mountains they won't. Personally, I make a big pot once a week (a kilo), we actually freeze them in half liter containers and then defrost as needed.

And commercially produced mayonnaise is not actually parishable like the homemade stuff it's no more parishable than ketchup and while we may put that in the fridge at home but we've all eaten in restuarants whose ketchup has never seen the inside of a fridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: