Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico Whys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Phil_K wrote:
...Why are all the sandwiches sold in OXXO and 7-Eleven a combination of some kind of cold meat and cheese? What about prawn cocktail, BLT, egg mayonnaise, etc.?

Phil_K, as for your other suggestions for pre-packaged sandwiches - shelf life might be a problem.

Maybe, but I think that the real answer is that the Mexican consumer is veeerrry conservative. Nestl� introduced some great flavours of yoghurt a few years back, now gone as presumably they were not viable. How many different flavours of crisps (AmE, potato chips) are available?

As I'm a keen chef, my wife has suggested I start a British restaurant. I tell her to go down to Parque Delta and look at the crowds outside Casa de To�o, and then tell me what kind of restaurant I should open!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:

Maybe, but I think that the real answer is that the Mexican consumer is veeerrry conservative. Nestl� introduced some great flavours of yoghurt a few years back, now gone as presumably they were not viable. How many different flavours of crisps (AmE, potato chips) are available?

As I'm a keen chef, my wife has suggested I start a British restaurant. I tell her to go down to Parque Delta and look at the crowds outside Casa de To�o, and then tell me what kind of restaurant I should open!

Well, Nestle must not have done their market research, as there are soooo many flavors of yogurt that I have a hard time choosing. Do you remember what any of those flavors were? There are far few flavors in the US, especially of the drinkable kind.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Phil_K wrote:

Well, Nestle must not have done their market research, as there are soooo many flavors of yogurt that I have a hard time choosing. Do you remember what any of those flavors were? There are far few flavors in the US, especially of the drinkable kind.

I don't remember many of the flavours that Nestl� introduced, but one that stands out and was delicious was higo y pasa.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Nestle since I try not to buy them--but alpura has a drinkable higo y pasa yogurt that is available here...

But I think you are right about Mexican consumers not being very adventurous when it comes to food. In the US, trying new restuarants is a hobby of much of the middle class. Mexicans seem to want to eat things they already know that they like.

When my town finally got a supermarket, they first had many exciting products for me to buy--different kinds of cheeses, breads, fresh milk, etc. but they stopped restocking things that didn't sell and now it's mostly just full of the same stuff all the little stores sell as well.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same where i am MotherF. I remember when the super started selling roast beef. I was over the moon. Then, inevitably, it was cut because this strange brown meat was so far off the colour chart of the 300 different types of ham on offer and just didnt sell.

An old girlfriend of mine used to make me laugh every time we went shopping. The deli counter lady would offer her a sample slice of whatever ham was on sale that week and my gf would, as soon as it hit her lips, start nodding approvingly. As if this ham was by FAR the tastiest ham every encountered on God's green earth. Every week there was a manifestation of a jamonal deity.

In the end it was a boring generic ham. But it was a free sample of a known and liked commodity. And she bought it every week without fail.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...talking of the deli counter, here's another why.

Why don't the supermarkets (or at least my local one, Mega in Pilares, Col. Del Valle) sell pork or beef sausages anymore?

Last time I checked this out I first checked all those in the fridge, looking at the ingredients, and none were meat, at best turkey mixed with pork. So I then enquired over the counter, where they produced a packet of those I'd just checked.

Are Mexicans really that health conscious?
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

In the fighting Dave's spirit i suggest you make your own sausages at home, Kramer and Newman style!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
Phil,

In the fighting Dave's spirit i suggest you make your own sausages at home, Kramer and Newman style!

I would love to. I miss real British sausages, not those plastic Frankfurter things that the rest of the world seems to like. Just tell me where I can buy a sausage machine and skins in D.F., and I'll become a sausage tycoon.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the sausage machine Phil and was given a tip on where to get the tubing...been wanting to make my own pepperoni.

Let's open up shop...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I've got the sausage machine Phil and was given a tip on where to get the tubing...been wanting to make my own pepperoni.

Let's open up shop...

Great idea! Something like this one (in my home town!)

http://www.sausage-shop.co.uk/
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Christian scriptures it WAS on Sunday, but that raises another WHY?...

Why do Mexican Catholics, including my brother-in-law, insist they are NOT Christians when Christianity encompasses all believers in the Trinity; Catholics, Anglicans, Baptists, Methodists, Luthrians, etc? My B-I-L says that Christians are a sect that believes in Christ, but not God!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchilada Potosina wrote:
Why does no one question the fact that he came back to life after being dead for 3 days?!!

I wouldn't ask that question in Mexico if I were you! Wink
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Why does no one question the fact that he came back to life after being dead for 3 days?!!

Especially not in mocholandia SLP... here's one for y'all:

Why are Mexicans so obsessed with personal hygiene, even poking fun at foreigners for not showering every day, yet have streets with rubbish strewn everywhere?
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:

Especially not in mocholandia SLP... here's one for y'all:

Why are Mexicans so obsessed with personal hygiene, even poking fun at foreigners for not showering every day, yet have streets with rubbish strewn everywhere?

Excellent observation and you are 100% correct! From my personal experience I wouldn't say Mexicans are obsessed with personal hygene as you said. It is interesting though to see a people who are very nationalistic, yet throw trash everywhere outside. Rolling Eyes
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDE--WHAT'S UP WITH THE CENTAVOS?

Let go. Round up.

This week I got a check that was for something and .24 cents. Then I made a deposit for a payment that was for something and .33 cents. REALLY?
Where are those 33 cents coming from. The smallest coin is 10c and the majority of the people out there won't even take those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: