Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico Whys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but the accumulated centavos count for something if you're paying by credit card, but even then it would still count for more if it were rounded up. The old $9.99 trick (Customer: "Oh, that's only $9-something!"), perhaps?
canada_1986

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Excellent observation and you are 100% correct! From my personal experience I wouldn't say Mexicans are obsessed with personal hygene as you said. It is interesting though to see a people who are very nationalistic, yet throw trash everywhere outside. Rolling Eyes

Yes!!! Two of the roommates I've had (both males) spent almost half an hour per day in the shower. In a country where access to fresh water is more limited, I find it very surprising. In Canada where we have tons of fresh water, I was always encouraged to keep showers under 10 minutes.

Now, I have some other questions on this topic.

- The male roommates I've had, despite spending a lot of time in the shower, have been slobs who don't clean any of their dishes and don't take out any garbage. I don't know if it's all Mexican men, but why are they like that?

- At panader�as, why must I line up with their chosen items and have someone else bag it for me? I would think Walmart and other stores that have panader�as could save money by having self-serve panader�a bagging.

- Why do the variety stores (OXXO, 7-Eleven, etc.) as well as stores like Walmart allow one to pay their bills or "recharge" their cell phone at the cash register? Last I checked, OXXO is not a bank, but inevitably I sometimes get stuck behind someone paying their Telmex, CFE, and credit card bills as well as adding money onto their Telcel Amigo while waiting to pay for a darn can of Coke. At least for cell phones, why can't Telcel and others sell prepaid scratch-off cards that people can use to recharge their balance in their own time?

- Is it just me, or are the people conducting sales presentations aboard transit buses getting more aggressive? It seems like more and more of them are trying to put their products into the hands of their prospects. More importantly, why are people tolerating it? I always turn my back to these people, but everyone else just takes the candy and looks at it. (Disclaimer: I have bought gum on a bus, but I only buy from the non-aggressive types)
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canada_1986 wrote:
Yes!!! Two of the roommates I've had (both males) spent almost half an hour per day in the shower. In a country where access to fresh water is more limited, I find it very surprising.
I find it surprising that you find it surprising - given something you wrote on another thread -
Quote:
I can take half-hour showers with more hot water than I ever had at my parents' house in Canada. And it doesn't cost me a centavo extra.

wrote:
The male roommates I've had... have been slobs who don't clean any of their dishes and don't take out any garbage. I don't know if it's all Mexican men, but why are they like that?
I can't answer why your 2 roommates were like that. The male Mexican population can hardly take a rap for 2 bad roommates.

wrote:
At panader�as, why must I line up with their chosen items and have someone else bag it for me? I would think Walmart and other stores that have panader�as could save money by having self-serve panader�a bagging.
I like the tong 'n tray tradition - lets me buy 1 or 2 fresh items instead of a pkg of 12 stale ones, and I know no one's manhandled it (I've only seen foreigners poke their finger into something to see how fresh it was). And why are you buying bread and pastries from Walmart!

wrote:
Why do the variety stores (OXXO, 7-Eleven, etc.) as well as stores like Walmart allow one to pay their bills or "recharge" their cell phone at the cash register? Last I checked, OXXO is not a bank, but inevitably I sometimes get stuck behind someone paying their Telmex, CFE, and credit card bills as well as adding money onto their Telcel Amigo while waiting to pay for a darn can of Coke. At least for cell phones, why can't Telcel and others sell prepaid scratch-off cards that people can use to recharge their balance in their own time?
Last I checked OXXO was a convenience store - most open 24hrs. I can pay bills due the next day (that I received 1 day before) at 11pm and not worry about having my electricity, internet cut off and face a hefty reconnection fee.

And where would I buy my liquor when I'm too drunk to drive?
If one doesn't like the wait at OXXO to buy a can of coke, go next door to the pharmacy.

wrote:
Is it just me, or are the people conducting sales presentations aboard transit buses getting more aggressive? It seems like more and more of them are trying to put their products into the hands of their prospects.
No, they're hungry - trying to make a living in tough times.

wrote:
More importantly, why are people tolerating it? I always turn my back to these people, but everyone else just takes the candy and looks at it. (Disclaimer: I have bought gum on a bus, but I only buy from the non-aggressive types)
I'm a believer in you get what you give - instead of turning your back (rude IMO) try smiling, and say 'No, thank you.'

Funny how the things others find annoying after 6 months of living here, will be some of the things I'll miss the most after 9 years. Crying or Very sad

DL
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, I have some other questions on this topic.

Quote:
- At panader�as, why must I line up with their chosen items and have someone else bag it for me? I would think Walmart and other stores that have panader�as could save money by having self-serve panader�a bagging.

I wonder if Mexicans would take to it? I don't think Mexico is much of a self-serve country. Look at gas stations.

Quote:
- Why do the variety stores (OXXO, 7-Eleven, etc.) as well as stores like Walmart allow one to pay their bills or "recharge" their cell phone at the cash register? Last I checked, OXXO is not a bank, but inevitably I sometimes get stuck behind someone paying their Telmex, CFE, and credit card bills as well as adding money onto their Telcel Amigo while waiting to pay for a darn can of Coke. At least for cell phones, why can't Telcel and others sell prepaid scratch-off cards that people can use to recharge their balance in their own time?

Corner stores make a small amount on each mobile recharge and I suppose they think that if people come in for a recharge, they might also buy a coke or something else. I don't know if they get a small cut for accepting bill payments...again, maybe a hook to get customers in.

Those scratch cards for Telcel are still out there, but they seem to sell less and less of them each year in favor of the electronic recharge. I have mine set up through bancomer so I just go online and recharge my phone whenever I need it.

Quote:
Funny how the things others find annoying after 6 months of living here, will be some of the things I'll miss the most after 9 years.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
Quote:
The male roommates I've had, despite spending a lot of time in the shower, have been slobs who don't clean any of their dishes and don't take out any garbage. I don't know if it's all Mexican men, but why are they like that?

One reason could be that in many Mexican homes the male children are not introduced to the mysteries of housekeeping, since that is still considered "women's work". There are exceptions, of course. I had a friend married to a Mexican man who shared the housework pretty evenly with her. He told me that his father had died when he and his siblings were young and his mother had to go out to work, so all of the children were expected to do their share of the household chores.
canada_1986

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I wonder if Mexicans would take to it? I don't think Mexico is much of a self-serve country. Look at gas stations.

You're right - my experience is that Mexicans, as a generalization, expect "someone else" to do a lot of things for them. Filling gas tanks, cleaning floors, picking up their garbage, bagging groceries, parking cars...I had never seen "valet parking" at Burger King until I came here!!

You will never see self-serve checkouts in Mexico, which have become widespread in North America.

Dragonlady wrote:
canada_1986 wrote:
Yes!!! Two of the roommates I've had (both males) spent almost half an hour per day in the shower. In a country where access to fresh water is more limited, I find it very surprising.
I find it surprising that you find it surprising - given something you wrote on another thread -
Quote:
I can take half-hour showers with more hot water than I ever had at my parents' house in Canada. And it doesn't cost me a centavo extra.

"Can" versus "do" - I never take half-hour showers, but I could if I wanted to. Actually, I usually don't have the time in the morning to have a shower longer than seven or eight minutes.

Quote:
wrote:
At panader�as, why must I line up with their chosen items and have someone else bag it for me? I would think Walmart and other stores that have panader�as could save money by having self-serve panader�a bagging.
I like the tong 'n tray tradition - lets me buy 1 or 2 fresh items instead of a pkg of 12 stale ones, and I know no one's manhandled it (I've only seen foreigners poke their finger into something to see how fresh it was). And why are you buying bread and pastries from Walmart!

Walmart Mexico still has far superior bakery products than any of the "bakeries" we have in my home city in Canada. Anyone who has had a Tim Hortons donut or bought bread at Metro knows what I'm talking about.

It's a matter of convenience for me. I must admit there is a panader�a about a 15-minute walk from me, I have yet to check it out.

wrote:
And where would I buy my liquor when I'm too drunk to drive?
If one doesn't like the wait at OXXO to buy a can of coke, go next door to the pharmacy.

No choice where I work - 5 minutes between classes, and OXXO has a monopoly in the area.

Quote:
wrote:
Is it just me, or are the people conducting sales presentations aboard transit buses getting more aggressive? It seems like more and more of them are trying to put their products into the hands of their prospects.

I guess I just have a tough time with these people when I see the Bodega Aurrera near my apartment severely understaffed and begging for employees with promises of life insurance for cashiers. It doesn't take a lot of training to become a cashier.[/b]
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
wrote:

You're right - my experience is that Mexicans, as a generalization, expect "someone else" to do a lot of things for them. Filling gas tanks, cleaning floors, picking up their garbage, bagging groceries, parking cars...I had never seen "valet parking" at Burger King until I came here!!
You will never see self-serve checkouts in Mexico, which have become widespread in North America.

And what would you have all of these millions of displaced workers do for a living?

DL
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

I guess I just have a tough time with these people when I see the Bodega Aurrera near my apartment severely understaffed and begging for employees with promises of life insurance for cashiers. It doesn't take a lot of training to become a cashier.

And perhaps the day will come when corrupt hiring practices cease, and these people will actually have a hope in hell of being hired.

DL
Samantha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonLady wrote:
Quote:
Funny how the things others find annoying after 6 months of living here, will be some of the things I'll miss the most after 9 years.

I totally agree. Mexico is what it is, and comparing the cultures, pointing out what we consider flaws, is a big waste of effort. Surprising as this may sound to some, they don't think the US/Canadian/other cultures are perfect either. Not sure when the turning point is when things here no longer seem strange, but I've logged 12 years now, and feel like a fish out of water when visiting north. (I don't do it very often since it's way outside my comfort zone). Pump my own gas; bag my own groceries, etc.? No thanks; what for?

DL, I know you will be back. Nine years is a long time and Mexico owns part of your heart. Those Canadian winters are still as cold as when you left all those years ago, and people can be a bit cranky when weather is bad. Maybe snow-birding is an option? hehe
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
-
Quote:
The male roommates I've had, despite spending a lot of time in the shower, have been slobs who don't clean any of their dishes and don't take out any garbage. I don't know if it's all Mexican men, but why are they like that?

One reason could be that in many Mexican homes the male children are not introduced to the mysteries of housekeeping, since that is still considered "women's work". There are exceptions, of course. I had a friend married to a Mexican man who shared the housework pretty evenly with her. He told me that his father had died when he and his siblings were young and his mother had to go out to work, so all of the children were expected to do their share of the household chores.

Mexican men for the most part never clean house or wash dishes and they expect the wife, even is she works, raises the kids and cooks to also act as a maid and clean up after them Rolling Eyes

I prep, cook and clean up after myself, always have, always will. In this regard, Mexicans are not at all self-sufficent people... No rich Mexicans ever clean up after themselves.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

And what would you have all of these millions of displaced workers do for a living?

DL

Yep, all these little jobs keep millions from going hungry, but they offer nothing to the workers long-term. These so-called jobs are not the answer...

I will give a few pesos to all these folks... But they have nothing for the future, but as I've stated previously, the poor are not concerned about 30 years in the future, that is why all 3rd world countries are covered in trash, people don't care about a week into the future let alone the world as a whole.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
... all these little jobs keep millions from going hungry, but they offer nothing to the workers long-term. These so-called jobs are not the answer...

Let's look at these so called little jobs...

Filling gas tanks - all Pemex employees - with full benefits, regular hours, in many instances university educated, got the job because they're related to someone high up the chain and/or who paid somebody a lot of money. BTW 30,000 pesos is the average 1-time-hand-slap for a job with the government in Xalapa, or a mediocre position on one of the off-shore rigs - and that's if someone within the company got you the referral

Cleaning floors - depends who's floors - if working at a hospital, private doctors clinic, department store, bank - full benefits, regular hours

Picking up garbage - even if working for the municipality as a street sweeper - full benefits, regular hours, overtime if there's a Norte...

Bagging groceries - if working for Chedraui, Walmart, Sorinas, Mega - full benefits, regular hours.. (check the ages of the workers at Mega packing your bags next time - see anyone under 65?)

Up north we are used to seeing these jobs filled by teenagers. Not so here in Mexico. These are important positions and generations of one family may be existing on wages of 1 worker (out of necessity).

AND of course there's the bad and the ugly...
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/06/16/2561522/mexicos-maquiladora-labor-system.html#storylink=rss

DL
BTW those of you with housekeepers, I trust you are following the law and not just taking advantage of cheap labour?
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL---the guys and gals pumping gas are not PEMEX employees- The gas stations are franchises, many owned by companies that own many locations. They do not get a salary or benefit at many gas stations--but get commision and tips and that's all.

As for Mexican men--I've long said, look for men raised by single mothers if you want them to know anything about housework.

And as for doing things for yourself--I've always seen it as a trust issue. That copy machine cost someone a pretty penny so they are going to let just any yoohoo lay their hands on it, only authorized personal with proper training. I've seen plenty of people who only have the barest grasp on how the ATM machine works, I'm sure they would never get into a self service check out line at a grocery store where they would be expected to use a complicated piece of machinery like cash register all by themselves.

As for cell phone credit or bill paying from the checkers in stores--what I hate is that they have to do it as a separate transaction. Why can't they just make it an item on the same bill. It does really slow down the line that way.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure they would never get into a self service check out line at a grocery store where they would be expected to use a complicated piece of machinery like cash register all by themselves.

Shoot, when I came across them back home myself it took me awhile to get through it...last two times I needed a pimply-faced kid to help me figure it out.

Quote:
Bagging groceries - if working for Chedraui, Walmart, Sorinas, Mega - full benefits, regular hours.. (check the ages of the workers at Mega packing your bags next time - see anyone under 65?)

Here in DF, they work for tips only. Either kids under 16 or people over 60.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

Quote:

Here in DF, they work for tips only. Either kids under 16 or people over 60.

Here too, heck not ever the checkers get full benefits or regular hours, Walmart makes sure to keep everyone at just exactly the maximum hours to be part-time in Mexico. And their schedule changes week by week, the never know when they are working until it's posted each Monday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: