Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico Whys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canada_1986

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:
You'll find just as many Mexicans who favor the direct brutal honest route as you do Mexicans who will lie to save face as you do Mexicans who will lie to be respectful then complain when someone else does it to them. Mexican culture is not so uniform to nail this question down so easily.

Exactly, so when I state what I state in my original post in this part of the thread, I am judging people as people, not as part of a uniform culture, and I'm certainly not Mexico-bashing.

Exactly - no two Mexicans I know are exactly alike. I know some Mexicans who are always late, and I know some who are always early. Sometimes 45 minutes early. Likewise I know some who are bluntly honest, and some who lie a lot.

I judge people as individuals; however, sometimes people brush off their shortcomings as "culture". It seems to avoid personal responsibility more than anything.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canada_1986 wrote:
Ok, here's another "why" question...

Why is age regarded negatively in Mexico, compared with some other countries?

Case in point - some of my English students were talking about the current election campaign, and one student commented that he doesn't like AMLO for no other reason than "he's too old". AMLO is 58 years old, a year younger than former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chr�tien was when he was first elected in 1993.

I also sense it in the hiring practices in this country - signs asking for job applicants to be no more than age 49, for example. There are very few, if any, people with grey hair working in the offices near my institute.

49? Look harder...you can find signs asking for employees that are no older than 29.

Technically illegal but common practice here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
MotherF and Guy,
I'll double check my sources - and check a few more.
What I wrote wasn't based on first-hand knowledge...

And I'll be the first to admit I was wrong (if I am)
... but I'm not so sure that I am Wink

Filling out report cards while flogging myself shamelessly with pineapples -

Thank you MotherF - I'd stumbled across that web site myself late last night (in English). Found another which left me with more questions, and none of my Mexican colleagues were able to help
http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/22215/Stations-vow-to-stop-pumping-gasoline-in-Mexico/

It seems these guys The Mexican Association of Gas Station Owners are responsible for employees - and would be under Mexican Employment Law required to meet minimum standards of pay and benefits, but like so many employers here, see fit not to. Yes? No?

My question is what is this new primary group contract all about, and which 20 states could be affected? Or is this too far off topic for the forum?

Now, regarding the grocery baggers - Walmart shouldn't be included in my comments. ISSTE, Mega, Chedraui say they do follow minimum employment standards. Sorry, I wasn't able to talk to anyone with Sorina.

DL
Ouch.. these pineapples are darn prickly!
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must follow Federal Labor Laws. Pemex has a Franchise Handbook, which should clear things up regarding wages (last paragraph), and benefits and a few other things. The recruiting section is also worth a read. This is the link to the Human Resources portion of the handbook.

http://www.ref.pemex.com/files/content/02franquicia/sagli002/sagli002_04g.html

Another link of interest is the legal framework section (the first part, regarding employment).
http://www.ref.pemex.com/files/content/02franquicia/sagli002/sagli002_03v.html
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
canada_1986 wrote:
Ok, here's another "why" question...

Why is age regarded negatively in Mexico, compared with some other countries?

Case in point - some of my English students were talking about the current election campaign, and one student commented that he doesn't like AMLO for no other reason than "he's too old". AMLO is 58 years old, a year younger than former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chr�tien was when he was first elected in 1993.

I also sense it in the hiring practices in this country - signs asking for job applicants to be no more than age 49, for example. There are very few, if any, people with grey hair working in the offices near my institute.

49? Look harder...you can find signs asking for employees that are no older than 29.

Technically illegal but common practice here...

Lot's of things are "technically illegal" in Mexico, but doesn't seem to matter much.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most intriguing of all is how is it that ligertijas can possibly walk upside down on ceilings without falling off?

And that brings up a much more finer and salient point. Why is it that spiders get Spiderman but chameleons don`t get their own superhero? After all their physical prowess is much superior to spiders and they don`t play with their food.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon_(comics)

He was a super villian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leslie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: potatoes and spaghetti at the same meal Reply with quote

I just went to a graduation reception for our school this week. Located at a nice hotel. Lousy creamy mashed potatoes, lousy creamy pasta (tasteless), and some kind of cheap beef served with a lame gravy. A lovely plate of beige!

This seems to be the norm.

Why do formal banquet dinners at hotels usually serve meat (chicken or beef, usually badly cooked with American-style gravy), mashed potatoes, and spaghetti?

In a land of abundant veggies, why potatoes and spaghetti!

And of course the pasta/spaghetti is usually with a lousy creamy sauce.

And I've even seen my own Mexican relatives choose potatoes and pasta at a buffet instead of having a vegatable with their meal.

It's okay, and when in Mexico... but I would never choose both at the same meal.
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: potatoes and spaghetti at the same meal Reply with quote

leslie wrote:
Why do formal banquet dinners at hotels usually serve meat (chicken or beef, usually badly cooked with American-style gravy), mashed potatoes, and spaghetti?

There's something about food cooked en masse that makes it tasteless here, and yes they do seem to go for the 'school dinner' option at these events.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...always crepes for breakfast, too!

I found a great exception though! We went to a cocktail for "The Best Hotels of the World" group, in which they circulated the tables with various finger foods throughout the evening, and they just kept coming!

Ribs of Lamb, Lobster, Ceviche, Smoked Salmon, (fake) Caviar, (real) Champagne, decent red wine, you name it!

...AND we won two nights in a suite in the super-luxury Hotel de Crillon in Paris, which we used. Trade cocktails and breakfasts have never seemed the same since!
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this Mexico you all live in? There was a party without Mole? Buffets? what are those?

We do get quite bland spaguetti here sometimes as a change from rice--rice and spaguetti seem to be the only other two things anyone knows how to make in large enough quanitities to accompany mole and beans.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: potatoes and spaghetti at the same meal Reply with quote

leslie wrote:

In a land of abundant veggies, why potatoes and spaghetti!

And of course the pasta/spaghetti is usually with a lousy creamy sauce.

And I've even seen my own Mexican relatives choose potatoes and pasta at a buffet instead of having a vegatable with their meal.

It's a bit like my mother who still insists that potatoes are a vegetable, though she would never serve pasta and potatoes at the same meal!
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of food, why do Mexicans have no qualms about telling you they got the hershey squirts from something they ate? Is it really that prevalent?!
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchilada Potosina wrote:
Speaking of food, why do Mexicans have no qualms about telling you they got the hershey squirts from something they ate? Is it really that prevalent?!

My experience with my friends here is that they aren't as hung up about bodily functions as we are. For the most part their attitude is sh*t happens.

DL
ha ha ha
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Enchilada Potosina wrote:

My experience with my friends here is that they aren't as hung up about bodily functions as we are. For the most part their attitude is sh*t happens.

DL
ha ha ha

Ha ha ha, indeed. A good one, DL. By the way, I have no qualms about telling friends when I have the occasional return of "turista".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: