Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New June 2012: flying to/from/within Mexico with pets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: New June 2012: flying to/from/within Mexico with pets Reply with quote

I'm (almost) ready to walk north from Veracruz with my cat -
We've been together too long (she hails from Chiapas) to leave her behind or put her down Crying or Very sad

This web-site is giving me some sanity for the moment, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. And before anyone gets too excited about AirCanada - they've got a little restriction called codeshare (explained on their website).

http://jaltembabaylife.com/blog/2012/06/new-no-pets-in-cabin-policy-for-mexico/
Scroll down and read through the posts, especially Allyson Williams'

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/pets.html

DL
thegoodprofessor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: How to Keep Tourists Out of Mexico deny their pets Reply with quote

My gosh how stupid can they get?

Why would Mexico do this? United airlines and the rest should protest for their customers. Where is customer service? Can your cat be a service animal?

yes like we all want to drive across the drug waring borders now?

IS that what they are trying to promote? Americans cannot bring their pets on board will drive instead, get kidnapped, held for ransom and pay money to the drug lords. Oh I get it, the drug lords rule the country of mexico and they want people to drive so they can rob them?

I was thinking of coming to Mexico for dental- call it medical tourism in Mexico if you want and one of the reason is that I always travel with my 14 lb dog. If I cannot bring my dog to Mexico with me I will look other places for dental tourism. There is Costa Rica and Guatemala to name a few other places.

Meanwhile, back to your cat.... start walking. Don't put it down.
What city are you in? Maybe you will have to travel to Guatemala and then fly home.
Everyone needs to complain to Mexico tourism to make changes, mexican doctors, dentists etc to change this terrible rule.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Keep Tourists Out of Mexico deny their pets Reply with quote

thegoodprofessor wrote:
My gosh how stupid can they get?

Why would Mexico do this?

Maybe because Mexicans don't have the same relationship with animals as we do and are not happy about having animals in the cabins of airplanes?
(Not my opinion.)

As for DL, how about buying a VW, driving--as a "classic" car it will be exempt from emissions standards (I think!). Drive to Texas sell on ebay to a VW enthusiast (list it before hand) then fly from Texas the to Canada.
Even better find an old VW Safari (called Thing) in the US--the one car that is worth WAY more north of the boarder than south.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to be vigilant with the airlines and flying pets...they do push the cargo option to make it easier (on them) when flying into Mexico and not for any regulations or policy here or abroad.

I spent nearly two two days helping a friend at the DF airport cargo handling area to try to free a dog shipped Cargo even after assurances it was going to be checked baggage through Continental. Total cost for release was in the hundreds of dollars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Keep Tourists Out of Mexico deny their pets Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
...how about buying a VW, driving--as a "classic" car it will be exempt from emissions standards (I think!). Drive to Texas sell on ebay to a VW enthusiast (list it before hand) then fly from Texas the to Canada.
Even better find an old VW Safari (called Thing) in the US--the one car that is worth WAY more north of the boarder than south.

Mother what an amazing idea! But I'd actually want to keep the Beetle Very Happy
The Safari would be a grand idea as well - I'm actually leaving behind some beautiful hand-crafted furniture because the cost to ship by sea is too expensive, and the idea of trucking it north seemed dangerous (to the driver) if not sketchy (for me).
Crap - I'd be up for this adventure if I didn't think that the cat and I would be a total target for all the nasties north of Boco del Rio.
Perhaps I could join one of the new convoys traveling between Lake Chapala and Texas...

thegoodprofessor wrote:
http://jaltembabaylife.com/blog/2012/06/new-no-pets-in-cabin-policy-for-mexico/
Scroll down and read through the posts, especially Allyson Williams' ..
I had planned a trip to the dentist in Mexico this summer but instead I'll be heading a little further south

As for thegoodprofessor, why OGGE would you start a new thread for the same topic - including the link and the suggestion written by me. It's difficult enough as it is to navigate this board for up-to-date information without clouding the issue, don't you think?

More importantly, why would you travel all the way from Africa to Mexico to have your teeth cleaned! Cool

DL
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update -
Air Canada is still my best bet. As long as I don't book a flight that shows a codeshare symbol, and my flight is international, I (should be) ok.

My problem is still getting from Boca del Rio to DF - I'll have to sneak little Eloise on a bus disguised as my carry-on...

My fear is the dreaded cab ride from TAPO to the airport.

DL
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can take the new metrobus line 4 from San Lazaro to the airport now...30 peso charge. Not sure how they feel about pets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:

You can take the new metrobus line 4 from San Lazaro to the airport now...30 peso charge. Not sure how they feel about pets.

Thanks Guy, something good to know. Won't help me this trip. It's juggling two 50 lbs bags, purse, cat disguised as carry-on... all with just 2 hands that has me frazzled.
I'm actually looking into shuttle services - picks me up at my house in Boca and drives me to the DF airport. Does anyone know if heaven exists?

DL
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that ADO has a terminal at the airport? There should be service from Veracruz directly to the airport--but it might not be at a time that works with your flight.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Did you know that ADO has a terminal at the airport? There should be service from Veracruz directly to the airport--but it might not be at a time that works with your flight.

Awesome, thanQ Mother. I'll check it out. I'm ok with sleeping in airports.. I've done it many times - DF, Kuala Lumpur.. the cat will be with me so all is good.

Dl
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Update -
Air Canada is still my best bet. As long as I don't book a flight that shows a codeshare symbol, and my flight is international, I (should be) ok.

My problem is still getting from Boca del Rio to DF - I'll have to sneak little Eloise on a bus disguised as my carry-on...

DL

Don't take a cab! There is now a Metrobus that goes from San Lazaro to the Airport. You just walk out of TAPO and it is right there. 30 pesos, but you have to have a Metrobus card before you get on. It goes to both terminals too.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
Update -

DL

Don't take a cab! There is now a Metrobus that goes from San Lazaro to the Airport. You just walk out of TAPO and it is right there. 30 pesos, but you have to have a Metrobus card before you get on. It goes to both terminals too.

Would love it if DL tried it out just to report back on the MB airport run..we've debated the usefulness of it. Care to guinea pig it for us, DL?
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus to the airport would be a lot easier than the MB. I checked Ticketbus and there is at least one run from Veracruz to the airport at 22:00
I have found that ticketbus doesn't always have to most up to date info Question So it would be best for DL to check her local terminal.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL,

Have you and your furry friend made it back to the great white north yet?
I hope it all worked out with out too much stress.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
DL,

Have you and your furry friend made it back to the great white north yet?
I hope it all worked out with out too much stress.

Thanks Mother. Not yet, but I took your advice and found the bus direct from Veracruz to DF airport - thanks for that great tip! I get into DF at 3:30a.m Saturday morning. I'm sneaking the cat onto the bus as carry-on and plan to use the stupid foreigner routine if I get stopped. If they really push hard, I'll be taking my (empty) hard-sided pet carrier for (gasp) in the cargo department.
Flying is a breeze - the cat has all her official paperwork in triplicate in both Spanish and English - she flies in-cabin with me from DF to Vancouver.

The most stressful thing has been emptying my little house of years of memories and deciding what I truly have room for. In the end, they're just things - except the artwork!

I give myself 2 - maybe 3 years before I'm back Cool . Shall we take a poll?

DL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: