Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American with UK degree: SACM-US involved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karitos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: American with UK degree: SACM-US involved? Reply with quote

I'm an American getting my MA in Applied Linguistics and Teaching English in the UK. I intend to work in KSA upon completion of my degree next year.

My question is this: I assume that my MA will validated by the Cultural Mission in the UK, not the USA, since it's a UK degree. So will I have that validation done, and then just simply include that validation in my visa packet to the embassy in the USA? I.e., will I bypass dealing with the SACM-USA entirely? Or will I still have to submit to them too?
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SACM UK basically would give your degree the "all-clear" so when you submit to SACM-US they know you're not giving them a piece of paper. Give SACM UK a call about the procedure and they should get back you - I've heard good things about them. On the other hand, SACM US is a total mess you'll probably never get a hold on..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so already, definitely get a CELTA or equivalent TEFL qualification to go along with your MA in Applied Linguistics and Teaching English. However, if your degree program includes a supervised teaching practice component, a cert won't be necessary.

FYI:
UK: Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau (SACB)
US: Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM)
Kimchidon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent SACM about 8 emails back in July asking questions about the process. Each and every email was replied to with an email that had attached the degree authorization document and nothing, not a word, in the body. Every single time. I got 8 copies of the authorization request if anyone wants one.

I should also say that my MA (which isn't technically finished) is also from a British University. I didn't even mention it during the process and neither did they.
Karitos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
If you haven't done so already, definitely get a CELTA or equivalent TEFL qualification to go along with your MA in Applied Linguistics and Teaching English. However, if your degree program includes a supervised teaching practice component, a cert won't be necessary.

FYI:
UK: Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau (SACB)
US: Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM)

Thanks for the FYI. I thought there was a difference but couldn't remember what it was.

I completed my CELTA earlier this year (my MA does not have a practical component, because it's required that you have 3 years of teaching experience to get into the program).

Kimchidon wrote:
I sent SACM about 8 emails back in July asking questions about the process. Each and every email was replied to with an email that had attached the degree authorization document and nothing, not a word, in the body. Every single time. I got 8 copies of the authorization request if anyone wants one.

I should also say that my MA (which isn't technically finished) is also from a British University. I didn't even mention it during the process and neither did they.

So you have your MA from a UK university, but you only supported your BA for SACM approval? I would be doing the opposite.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
SACM UK basically would give your degree the "all-clear" so when you submit to SACM-US they know you're not giving them a piece of paper. Give SACM UK a call about the procedure and they should get back you - I've heard good things about them. On the other hand, SACM US is a total mess you'll probably never get a hold on..

Not my recent experience with the SACB in London. They take ages and are, in the words of my agent,"totally incompetent"

I'm sure some get lucky with time and some don't. I was one of the ones who didn't get lucky.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I was basing my opinion from what I've heard colleagues say and the utter silence from SACM US. Figured since SACM Spain was actually helpful and what I've heard, thought optimism would be okay. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: