Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free for all flaming session!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitegirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Free for all flaming session! Reply with quote

Yes, I know, I'm going to burn, but I'm asking you as pathetic, underpaid, hardworking teacher to pathetic, underpaid, hardworking teacher (unless you lot in Thailand are a lot smarter than us suckers here in China).
I need to flee China during the May holiday here (1.3 billion holiday makers - yip yip yippee), and plan to spend the week there. Which areas are swamped by May holiday revelers?
I realise this is a travel Q, not a teaching Q but it does kind of relate to teaching (burnout if I don't kick back - how's that for emotional blackmail?), and I have posted it on the LPlanet site, but would like informed responses from people who live there and didn't just have three weeks of good luck or bad luck there.
Sorry guys, but I would really appreciate it. Cheers.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: no worries Reply with quote

Quote:
Which areas are swamped by May holiday revelers?

May is low season in Thailand in terms of foreign tourists as it is the end of the hot season and the start of the rainy season. As for domestic tourism, there is a long weekend at the beginning of the month [May 1 - 3, with the 3rd being a substitute holiday for May 1 - Labor Day - which falls on a Saturday]. Also, the 5th is Coronation Day but I don't think businesses will be closed for that, just banks, gov't offices and schools. May 7 is the Royal Plowing Ceremony Day but I think only the gov't gets off for that.

In summary, you may have some problems with congestion at those times if you plan to go to any places near Bangkok, but overall I don't think you need to worry too much.

Where/what kinds of places would you like to go? Cool
Kitegirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much - you see flights from Hong Kong to BKK are already booked solid so I was afraid they were all going to descend upon Thailand.
Where - I'll be back in July for three weeks so I'm not too fussed - somewhere beachy perhaps - swim and relax. Or do you recommend I visit the north now instead of in July?
I'm not a party-hearty type - the whole backpackers scene is fun I'm sure but I overdose on people and noise at school and really want quiet beaches where my only conversation partners are a coconut and a pineapple. Oh and I might spare a word or two for my travelling companion.
Coming from NZ too, beaches to me are associated with quiet and relative isolation. Asking too much...?
Cheers a bunch
hagakuri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

Hello,

It sounds like you may be interested in a place called Hua Hin, Thailand. Hua Hin is located about 2.5 hours outside of Bangkok. It is a small beach town, that has its share of tourist - but done with extreme moderation.

Right now, May, is a great time to go to Hua Hin. There is wide hotel availability, and the streets are not jammed packed. The whole East side of this City is coastline.... meaning lots of beach space.

Usually, it remains a nice calm place until around the end of the year when the tourist start to come back.

Hope this helps.
struelle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion Reply with quote

I second Hua Hin, and also suggest stopping by Chumphon further south. I was there last summer and they had some very peaceful beach bungalows about 15km from the city.

As for May Day, I'm planning to stay in China but flee to the mountains this time. I know what you mean about burn-out, though.

Steve
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kitegirl"]Thanks so much - you see flights from Hong Kong to BKK are already booked solid so I was afraid they were all going to descend upon Thailand.
Where - I'll be back in July for three weeks so I'm not too fussed - somewhere beachy perhaps - swim and relax. Or do you recommend I visit the north now instead of in July?
I'm not a party-hearty type - the whole backpackers scene is fun I'm sure but I overdose on people and noise at school and really want quiet beaches where my only conversation partners are a coconut and a pineapple. Oh and I might spare a word or two for my travelling companion.
Coming from NZ too, beaches to me are associated with quiet and relative isolation. Asking too much...?
Cheers a bunch[/quote]

Kitegirl, I'm in China too. Do you know how much in RMB a flight is from China to Thailand?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear kitegirl-- try to make it to Cambodia.!!!

cambodia. try it and see. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: