Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Completing BA whilst Teaching English abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessb52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Completing BA whilst Teaching English abroad Reply with quote

Hello all,

After much researching and investigating I'm about to embark on a career in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, and i've decided on Cambodia as the place to start this exciting new prospect.

Although any general advice and tips on this subject are much appreciated, my main query is: would it be feasible to complete my BA whilst teaching English abroad?

I currently have a foundation degree (basically i've completed the first 2 years of my degree) and there is an option with the Open University (in the UK, a well respected distance only Uni) to do my 3rd year with them and thus completing my BA.

It works out at having to do 2 modules, which I could either do in one year or split over 2.

Obviously there's the cost to consider, but tbh, i'm more concerned that I won't be able to focus enough on completing the course and/or won't be able to focus on the job of Teaching English, I don't just want to be one of those teachers who are there to travel and gain some funds to do it and don't give a damn about the students/quality of teaching!

If anyone has got any direct experience, i'd be really grateful, but if not, i'd also be really grateful on people's thoughts - would there be enough time? Are there, quite frankly, too many distractions to feasibly consider it?

Thanks for your anticipated advice!

Jess

P.s. I've tried searching on this subject but I couldn't find anything so apologies for any duplicate posts!

P.p.s. I've also put this in the general discussion thread but apologies if it's not the 'done thing' - if not, please let me know and I shall delete Embarassed
timmy69

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, you know yourself better than anyone else. Are you good at multi-tasking? Are you parsimonious regarding your studies whilst at the same time able to prepare lesson plans and such? If its an online degree program you are pursuing, obviously it will be based largely on reading and writing assignments. Know your time committments and know yourself, and the feasibility of your plan should be much clearer.
haller_79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it will depend on your teaching hours and the general demands of the school, so at this stage the question is impossible to answer.
I think if you are going to Cambodia to do ESL then I wouldn't re-enroll at uni until you get a feel for the job but that's me.
Jessb52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! The problems with double postings, forgot to reply on here Smile

Thanks for the response, to sum up what I said in my other post is pretty much the advice from Haller - I'm going to wait to see what the lay of the land is before I decide wether to undertake or not.

Thanks for your responses,

Grateful as always,

Jess
OliverN

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation as you Jess. I have a CELTA, but no degree. I'm looking to work and study.

How did you get on?
Jessb52

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,

Loooong story short, but after actually contacting the University (this post was made before doing so) it turns out that I did complete my BA-but by the skin of my teeth and a low mark. Essentially, when I 'quit' right at the end of my third year, I hadn't completed all my work but enough for the 360 credits needed, although like I say with a very low mark so I'm still contemplating re-doing it.

My advice would be though if you could find somewhere long distance from a reputable University and you yourself were focussed enough, then it should be doable particularly if it were part time.

As to finding a job, you should be fine with a CELTA.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: