Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interac vacation - how many weeks a year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumptowny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Interac vacation - how many weeks a year? Reply with quote

wondering about where the reality/average falls amongst the differing BOE's in this regard. Interac has initially offered up a range of potential vacation periods but with no specific information as to actual vacation days (total weeks)..

what are the typical vacations? not specific dates... but the total number of days/weeks off. I know the dates vary depending BOE's...

how many weeks off a year when all is said and done? any unforeseen factors to consider? thanks
brokenarm22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Interac vacation - how many weeks a year? Reply with quote

stumptowny wrote:
wondering about where the reality/average falls amongst the differing BOE's in this regard. Interac has initially offered up a range of potential vacation periods but with no specific information as to actual vacation days (total weeks)..

what are the typical vacations? not specific dates... but the total number of days/weeks off. I know the dates vary depending BOE's...

how many weeks off a year when all is said and done? any unforeseen factors to consider? thanks

I am wondering about this as well. Mostly as just a second thought, but would still be nice to have the info.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Interac FAQ page?
What are the vacation periods?
You are paid for all national holidays (about 2 weeks total) throughout the school year. In addition, you will receive a 3-5 week break between the end of July and the end of August depending on which BOE you work for (the actual dates will vary according to your school schedule). You will also have about 2 weeks at the end of December until early January for the winter break. Again, the actual dates will depend on the school, but a general rule of thumb for the winter break is Dec. 23rd (the emperor�s birthday) until around January 4th. Within your contract, you are also entitled to 5 personal days after the first 90 days of continuous employment and 80% attendance. It is expected that these days are to be taken as sick days. Japanese business practices frown on actually taking personal days as vacation days and is not recommended to do so.

https://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/info.html
stumptowny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the same information I have already.

what I am looking for is the inside scoop from Interac teachers on the matter. I heard there is a way for 10 - 11 weeks off a year with some caveats. August/x-mass are the likely hinge spots and possibly between the end of a contract and the start of a new contract as they do not connect, I believe.

Interac teachers.. what is the dealio? I would appreciate hearing the good and bad scenarios you have experienced. There are probably some teachers getting shafted as well..
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, stumptowny, I wasn't sure if you had that FAQ info.

I'm not sure if you are looking for the maximum number of vacation days in a job, or if you just want clarification on what Interac provides (not likely according to the FAQ as far as I read it). I hope that you also realize that vacation (time off from teaching as an ALT) usually comes with reduced pay, sometimes zero pay (perhaps the very "caveats" that you mentioned)! I don't know what Interac does in that regard.
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends. If you are primarily teaching at SHS, JHS or ES. SHS is the most generous with days off, and just plain not having to be there. While JHS and especially ES are pretty stingy.

In Aug of last year, I only got 3 weeks off. Which isn't all that great when you factor in the 60%. For Dec to Jan, I had from the 23rd to the 6th off. Which too came at a steep price of 70% pay for Dec.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Really depends. If you are primarily teaching at SHS, JHS or ES. SHS is the most generous with days off, and just plain not having to be there. While JHS and especially ES are pretty stingy.

In Aug of last year, I only got 3 weeks off. Which isn't all that great when you factor in the 60%. For Dec to Jan, I had from the 23rd to the 6th off. Which too came at a steep price of 70% pay for Dec.

thanks. this is helpful. are you at an ES?

what would you say the norm is for summer and xmas break based from the other teachers?

I appreciate your take as well. 3 weeks summer aint much, you are right. that is approaching the "should I stay or go" territory that plagues 2 week vacations because flight costs are a thousand bucks..

How about GW and the time between school years if you renew? the kids get a week or two off in march, correct? and teachers the same?

which is the case: 1) The BOE gives the specific dates to their respective ALT's in April or 2) the specific dates come through a tweaked version from Interac/maxceed who take some days that the BOE would have given you? I think I just answered my own question. I could see Interac nipping (no pun intended) my days for training or whatever..

and about plain not having to be there... is that just luck of the draw with your particular school? as in, your school site is chill and cool with you leaving early? how can I get that? LOL. I have heard teachers with no afternoon classes being signed out early by their school, because they are chill, unbeknownst to the for-profit machine...
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptowny wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

thanks. this is helpful. are you at an ES?

what would you say the norm is for summer and xmas break based from the other teachers?

I appreciate your take as well. 3 weeks summer aint much, you are right. that is approaching the "should I stay or go" territory that plagues 2 week vacations because flight costs are a thousand bucks..

How about GW and the time between school years if you renew? the kids get a week or two off in march, correct? and teachers the same?

which is the case: 1) The BOE gives the specific dates to their respective ALT's in April or 2) the specific dates come through a tweaked version from Interac/maxceed who take some days that the BOE would have given you? I think I just answered my own question. I could see Interac nipping (no pun intended) my days for training or whatever..

and about plain not having to be there... is that just luck of the draw with your particular school? as in, your school site is chill and cool with you leaving early? how can I get that? LOL. I have heard teachers with no afternoon classes being signed out early by their school, because they are chill, unbeknownst to the for-profit machine...

I am JHS with one day a week at ES. It's the normal amount of time in my area. Seems the closer you are to Tokyo, when in Kanto, they get more serious about how much you are hanging around.

Yeah, I usually go to the US in March as it is cheaper, and I tend to be laid off for about a month from Interac. it's not a month this year, but it is close to it. Which is all unpaid. Plus they try and make you do unpaid training....

Interac gives you work days, where you have to take assignments if they occur. Otherwise you are free Which is how they have scheduling flexibility. Super rural schools, you may have a ton of workdays, while in Tokyo, or at a serious school, you may have nary a one.

I am a dispatch worker, if I am not scheduled for a class, I don't have to be at school. A bit earlier this year, it wasn't the case, as the situation has changed. A lot of ALTs don't know about it though. I am quitting, so I don't care. Other ALTs don't know, or don7t want to create waves, so they don't.

you're not getting paid to sit there like a lump. Why waste your life?
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptowny wrote:
that is the same information I have already.

what I am looking for is the inside scoop from Interac teachers on the matter. I heard there is a way for 10 - 11 weeks off a year with some caveats. August/x-mass are the likely hinge spots and possibly between the end of a contract and the start of a new contract as they do not connect, I believe.

Interac teachers.. what is the dealio? I would appreciate hearing the good and bad scenarios you have experienced. There are probably some teachers getting shafted as well..

My experience has always been when the kids are not at school, neither am I. I've always worked in JHSs with occasional ES visits and they've never had any need for me during breaks. So that works out to about 2 1/2 weeks in winter and spring, and about 6 weeks in summer. Now, most of those days during school break will be "on call" days. The company could call you up and make you go judge a speech contest or sub for one of the business English teachers or something. They might schedule a meeting in there too. That way, if you want to be safe, you'll have to burn your actual vacation days for an uninterupted month of adventure in exotic foreign lands.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
I am a dispatch worker, if I am not scheduled for a class, I don't have to be at school. A bit earlier this year, it wasn't the case, as the situation has changed. A lot of ALTs don't know about it though. I am quitting, so I don't care. Other ALTs don't know, or don7t want to create waves, so they don't.

Are you saying that things have changed for Interac ALTs, or for all ALTs somehow? From what I gather, many dispatch agencies require ALTs to be those proverbial lumps.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

Are you saying that things have changed for Interac ALTs, or for all ALTs somehow? From what I gather, many dispatch agencies require ALTs to be those proverbial lumps.

It is changing, on account of what happened in Kashiwa. We are not FT employees, and can't be expected to put in FT hours, for PT pay. If I got paid better, and didn't have a small paycheck one in three months, I would be willing to be there a ton more. As I wouldn't have to work a second job to get by.
rich45

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Glenski wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

It is changing, on account of what happened in Kashiwa. We are not FT employees, and can't be expected to put in FT hours, for PT pay. If I got paid better, and didn't have a small paycheck one in three months, I would be willing to be there a ton more. As I wouldn't have to work a second job to get by.

So have you basically told your boss that you will only attend school when you have lessons?

All sounds very good in principle, but there's no way I could get away with that. Then again, I have no problem finishing at 3.30pm in any case, especially when then Japanese teachers are there until much later.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that. I leave at 2:30 when class is long since done. I have no obligation to hang out til 4 or so is all.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get...
all national holidays off: fully paid.
5 weeks in summer: 1 week fully paid, four weeks at %60
2 weeks at Christmas: 1 paid, 1 unpaid
almost 3 weeks in Easter: unpaid.
5 days flexible paid holiday (if you don't use them, they're added to your final paycheck)
stumptowny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marley'sghost wrote:

Now, most of those days during school break will be "on call" days. The company could call you up and make you go judge a speech contest or sub for one of the business English teachers or something. They might schedule a meeting in there too. That way, if you want to be safe, you'll have to burn your actual vacation days for an uninterupted month of adventure in exotic foreign lands.

This is the sole reason for my becoming an ALT. Vacation. the kanto cold shoulder/snobbery is brutal but the money for ESL work here compared to living/working in the exotic foreign lands is too much to pass up. the happy medium is finding work here with lots of escape time... so this is important for planning...

Can you explain vacation planning some more? do you mean you must burn your 5 flexible paid holiday days to cover the on call status during vacation days? what do you mean "actual vacation days." How does it work?

Can you just say no if you are requested and say, I will be out of the country or I have plans already? I suppose most teachers want the same...

The goal is to buy plane tickets early.. how can I but tickets in advance and be covered with the profit machine? I do not want to hang around waiting to see if I will be called in to cover a speech contest or business class... is it optional? those staying in Japan during the breaks can work if they want?

this will be a total utter buzz kill if we are expected to stick around...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: