Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russia with loans- possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lechatbleu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Russia with loans- possible? Reply with quote

For an inexperienced teacher, is it possible to make enough to survive in Russia (perhaps if one is outside of Moscow/SPB where it's less expensive?) while making payments on student loans that will run approximately $400/month? Or would I be better off looking at somewhere like Korea where the pay is better until I've paid off my loans? (Though that could take years and I really do just feel drawn to Russia...)

I have looked at the salaries, and done the exchange rate, but it seems in Russia there is an option to teach private lessons as well, so I am wondering if that is factored in...

Or am I being totally unrealistic?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$400 a month would be a hefty chunk of a McSchool salary. However, if you can get private students, then you should not have too much trouble making that amount, except for the summer months perhaps. But all this largely depends on how well you manage to get contacts and establish yourself. That can take time, so there is a risk element. In any case, all going well, the going rate for privates is about 2,500 to 3,000 rubles per 90 min lessons. $400 converts to about 12,000 to 13,000 rubles. Even at a rate of just 2,000 rubles a lesson, you'd only need 6 lessons a month to cover most of your loan. This should be manageable, but again, nothings guaranteed.

Also, I doubt that setting up outside of Moscow of St Petersburg will reduce your cost or increase your savings too much, so I wouldn't rule those cities out.

I do not think you are being totally unrealistic. Russia can pay, and very well too. But your first year probably will not yield much in the way of savings. So, perhaps Korea would be better for a quick dependable cash injection from the first day. Depends on where you really want to be, and how flexible you can be with your loan re-payments. And how well you can get private students.

Best of luck to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: