Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do employers worry about grades on transcript?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techselector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: do employers worry about grades on transcript? Reply with quote

hello everyone, quick question:

do employers in Latin America generally worry about your grades on your college transcript? i'm an excellent student now, but i left my previous institution with some less than stellar grades. I have a few F's on there. nowadays i'm cranking out a 4.0 semester GPA nearly every time. just hoping my past doesn't hold me down with regards to my career in ESL abroad.

my general impression is that it's not important. if i've got a degree that may meet or succeed most employer's requirements. thoughts? by all means correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm particularly interested in Mexico, if that helps. although I adore Latin America in general and might consider other locations as well
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that in Latin America, grades are numerical, with 10 being the best and 1, the worst, a prospective employer probably wouldn't know what an F meant. You could tell him it means "Fabuloso" Wink ! Congratulations, by the way, on turning your GPA around.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend has worked at mid-level and top tier colegios and international schools in Monterrey, Torreon, and Mexico City in Mexico and in Honduras and has never been asked to even provide transcripts...doesn't seem to be the norm to have to worry about grades on them at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others said, generally you don't need transcripts, and in life in general, the longer that goes by the less those things matter. We were all young once.
techselector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i suspected, but good news nonetheless.

thank you all for your replies.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: do employers worry about grades on transcript? Reply with quote

techselector wrote:
do employers in Latin America generally worry about your grades on your college transcript?

Laughing Laughing Nope. I worked off and on in Mexico City for 13 years and permanent for almost 4 years and I NEVER had to show my college transcript. I didn't even have to show my apostilled degree to any employer. I never even had to show the apostilled degree to Migracion and I had an FM-2. Don't worry about your bad grades amigo.

techselector wrote:
i'm particularly interested in Mexico

You'll be fine in Mexico City. Cool
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: do employers worry about grades on transcript? Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
. . . and permanent for almost 4 years . . .

Now there's an interesting concept!
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: do employers worry about grades on transcript? Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
. . . and permanent for almost 4 years . . .

Now there's an interesting concept!

What are you trying to say my fellow professional TEFLer? Cool
disraeli123

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: BAD GRADES.................................................. Reply with quote

I have taught in Santo Domingo, Medellin and here in Mexico grades What Grades???????????????? Don't worry no one else does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Keeping in mind that in Latin America, grades are numerical, with 10 being the best and 1, the worst, a prospective employer probably wouldn't know what an F meant. You could tell him it means "Fabuloso" Wink ! Congratulations, by the way, on turning your GPA around.

In Peru it-s up to 20 which then gets translated to A plus, A, B plus, etc. Bit odd.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: do employers worry about grades on transcript? Reply with quote

techselector wrote:
hello everyone, quick question:

do employers in Latin America generally worry about your grades on your college transcript? i'm an excellent student now, but i left my previous institution with some less than stellar grades. I have a few F's on there. nowadays i'm cranking out a 4.0 semester GPA nearly every time. just hoping my past doesn't hold me down with regards to my career in ESL abroad.

my general impression is that it's not important. if i've got a degree that may meet or succeed most employer's requirements. thoughts? by all means correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm particularly interested in Mexico, if that helps. although I adore Latin America in general and might consider other locations as well

I doubt most of those that might hire you in Lat. Am. would even know what they were looking at let alone what the grades mean. Don't worry, this isn't a developed 1st world place where they do things like drug tests, background checks, criminal checks or even ask to see your degree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: