Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Job in Kuwait - technical questions (general)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corton1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Have Job in Kuwait - technical questions (general) Reply with quote

If this is in the wrong place, I apologize and please redirect me.

I have a job in Kuwait (pending the usual 475 stamps). Standard Western ex-pat package (housing, medical, decent wage etc.). The plan is to be there for 5-10 years, then retire.

What I can't seem to find out is about the technology side of things.

I have lots of CD's of digital photographs (family stuff, kids pictures, vacation photos), 3 laptops, several backup hard drives, Books/Programs/Code on CD, kindles etc.

What is the internet access like in Kuwait, how is it best to set it up, and is VPN illegal?

Should I just leave the stuff I have, and get new in Kuwait, or can (and how) do I bring what I have into Kuwait. ?

Thank you.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Bring it all with you. You can even download from Pirate Bay here. Wireless access is good. Lan can be a bit slow.
Nuslim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Internet Service in the GCC Reply with quote

Internet service in all the Gulf countries is abysmal. When I was in Kuwait, it took me hours, if I was lucky, to download a movie. Video/Voice chatting was horrible. Many times it was down for hours, and sometimes days. Most organizations have filters to monitor their employees, and on a larger scale, the countries. The few remaining dictators in the region and Gulf oligarchs, especially in Kuwait, with widespread and rampant corruption, thousands of disenfranchised bidoon, and in the direct line of fire of Iran, are an uneasy and nervous lot, who want even more control. Most people don't even last a few months there, let alone plan to stay for 10 years! Put your essential stuff on flash, and add to it as needed, when you are there. Travel light; travel smart; travel safe!
alsysgo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Kuwait Reply with quote

You want to work in Kuwait for 10 years! Is there something you know that the rest of us don't! Please let us know how it goes.....In the next few months. Laughing
ColdCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have an apt in Abu Halifa. We have a phone line DSL connection. Our Internet cost are 100 KWD a month with wireless router that allows us access in the aprtment. Last year we ran a cable up to the 5th floor and shared the cost. We are a couple floors lower and the wifi was marginal to the 5th floor Our service provider is Gulf Net. You can go on-line and check their rates and speeds.
Not all apartment buildings have phone service in them.
Most electronic devices (laptops, external hard drives, etc.) have switching power supplies so that they will handle US/Canada 120 and foreign 240 VAC current. You can buy adapters here real cheap.
Oh! We have been here 4 years in Aug 2012 and are returning for year five our last year as we are both senior citizens now. You get a discount in Canada for that!! Rolling Eyes
Regards,
ColdCanuck
ColdCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Opps that should be 100 KWD per year Reply with quote

Opps that should be 100 KWD per year
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm here now. Internet is fine if you get the wireless package. You can download allsorts if you're pc savvy. Kuwait ain't gonna set your world on fire but it's ok. The weird EFL brigade remain weird wherever they are. Some EFL teachers whinge far too much. Kuwait is a place where you have to go and find stuff and spend a bit of dosh, something which some TEFLONs seem loathe to do.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I haven't worked for a language centre since 1997. Did a stint with a university but got into the oil gigs many moons ago as they pay better. AUK pays pretty well here. I've lived in Qatar and Saudi and I think Kuwait is a mix of the two. More open than Saudi but less Liberal than Qatar. The best paid gigs are on rotation out of Libya (except for BAe). You didn't offend me at all....I couldn't care less. I just thought what you said was factually incorrect. Plenty of people have MA's here and many people are quite content. I don't have one as I think it's a waste of dosh, time and effort. Did the reading and it bored me silly.

Despite what's written on this forum, I've found the Kuwaitis to be great. They are very friendly, polite and open minded. The place suits middle aged people.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three inappropriate postings have been deleted. Please find another site to engage in personal conversations and arguments. If they continue here on the public board, there will be sanctions.
NinaGeo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Internet in Kuwait Reply with quote

Internet in general in Kuwait is slow, especially when it is included in the rent fees. I guess it would be better if yo upgrade it yourself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: