Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living cheaply in Kuwait.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Living cheaply in Kuwait. Reply with quote

Here'a list of the food that is cheap to buy.

1.Shark steaks (300 Fils a kilo).
2.King Fish (Channad).
3.Scallops (about 50p each).
4.Fresh shrimps ($3 a pound).
5.Fresh squid ($3.50 a pound).
6.Bread and potatoes.
7.Fruit/Vegetables but buy them in the souks not the supermarkets.
8.Pizzas buy 1 get one free from Domino's. ($15 for 2 large).
9.Kebabs from Reef Al-Turky. (1 large is 500 Fils).
10.Sirloin steaks. ($4.50 for half a pound).

Starbuck's and Costa are extortionate as is Tsche Tsche's sheesha bar in Al-Khoot mall. Pool halls tend to be expensive too for what it's worth. Clothes are the same as the UK...but tailor made shirts etc are much cheaper.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Medication Reply with quote

Oh, and if you suffer from anything and need medication, bring it with you. My medication is 550% more expensive here than in the UK.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still probably less than half of what it costs in the US.

All is relative sharter. Laughing

VS
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

My heart bleeds for you especially when I see the mansions you can buy for $150,000 and gas at how much?

Come to Europe if you want a dose of reality re the cost of living. In Poland $150,000 will get you a shoe box of 80 square metres and you'll be paying $2.25 a litre. Forget England.....$12 for a pack of smokes!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansions would be a relative term... personally I don't know anyone who owns or lives in one. The price of real estate varies widely from one end of the US to the other with many cities matching Europe as to outrageous pricing. This is not a "mine is bigger than yours" argument. Laughing

BUT... we were talking about Gulf prices... in particular medications. While your comment about drug costs may be accurate for Europeans, it is not so for Americans. The advice for Americans would be to merely check if anything you take is available in Kuwait... if so... don't take it with you, but wait to buy it cheaply there.

VS

BTW... a little dose of reality about US health care costs. My health insurance just jumped to $580+ a month - and I have to pay for the first $2500 of medical costs for the year - so it mainly just protects me from catastrophic situations. For example, I had outpatient surgery a couple years back which cost $26,000 (didn't even get a bed over night or a meal out of them) and I still had to pay nearly $3000 of it. Nowhere in the world can compete with US medical system robbery. The majority of bankruptcies of individuals in the US are because of medical costs.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I dunno why your premiums are 580 a month. Everyone (half the staff are American) says the cost of drugs is expenive here. If you go private, the UK is expensive too. Our NHS is rotten. I was misdiagnosed last year and ended up flying abroad to get private medical treatment as an in patient.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused why anyone pays for prescriptions in Kuwait. Expats can use government health facilities in Kuwait. There are some medical tests�in government hospitals--- that expats need to pay a fee for�for example a MRI..which most often your private insurance will reimburses you for�but prescriptions are free. Expats pay a small fee, per illness, to be seen in a government health facility. If a government doctor writes you a prescription, the medicine is free. Blood pressure medicine, diabetic medicine, cholesterol medicine, thyroid medince�free. Even cancer treatment is free for resident expats.

Prior to getting Kuwaiti citizenship, I broke my ankle and required surgery. Ambulance, hospitalization, surgery, follow up treatment, and all the medicine that went with it�cost me a total of 2KD..about $7. I also take daily thyroid medicine. Again, paid 2KD about 18 years ago and have been getting the medicine for free since that time. (I did pay an additional 2KD every couple of months to have new blood test done. Therefore, they categorized this as a new complaint..therefore, a 2KD charge.)

During cold/flu season, government hospitals/clinics are super crowded because for the 2KD fee to see a doctor�patients walk out with cough medicine, antibiotics, cough drops, Panadol, and even mouth wash.

If you need medicine, go to a government hospital/clinic.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I dunno why your premiums are 580 a month.

Because that is how our system works and that is what they charge... because they can and there is no other option.

My experience with medical treatment in the Gulf, including Kuwait, matches usa-in-the-gulf.

The few drugs that I have taken regularly for years I still get from the Middle East. I have friends bring me a supply every year. The most expensive of them costs over there 10% of what it would cost me to buy it here in the US.

VS
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: WTF Reply with quote

Don't get sick in the Gulf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: