Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: MA TESOL Options Reply with quote

Hi all,

I made a post a few months ago asking for opinions on different options that are out there as my girlfriend and I want to better ourselves.

Just to refresh, we now kind have decided to change course. We are now looking at doing a CELTA this summer but having enough foresight to do a MA in 2016/17 in TESOL.

I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a good/worthy MA course in the U.K?

2. What kind of weight does a partially online MA carry? We would be willing to do a 1-year on-site MA but if we could we would like to do part of it online.

3. If something was to happen to our relatives back home and we had to move back to the UK, what kind of jobs would a CELTA + MA get us into? We ideally would like to be in a situation where our investments would be covered on both sides (at home and abroad)

Our game plan is to move to the middle east, save enough money and then move back to Europe to settle for the longer term.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
I made a post a few months ago asking for opinions on different options that are out there as my girlfriend and I want to better ourselves.

What kind of weight does a partially online MA carry? We would be willing to do a 1-year on-site MA but if we could we would like to do part of it online.

Our game plan is to move to the middle east, save enough money and then move back to Europe to settle for the longer term.

A few points about teaching in the Middle East:

- A CELTA + newly-minted MA TESOL would be enough for Saudi Arabia and possibly Oman. (Other GCC countries require a related MA + 3 years post-MA university TEFL experience).

- Be aware that Saudi Arabia does not recognize degrees that entailed any online coursework. This info gets confirmed. Your visa application will get rejected.

- You and your girlfriend would need to be legally married if you plan to live together while in the Middle East. Otherwise, plan to live separately. Read up on Saudi Arabia's strict gender segregation law; you both risk getting deported if you're caught together (even innocently out in public) as an unmarried/unrelated couple.

- Morocco (North Africa) is an option, and you'd possibly be okay living together as an unmarried couple (research this). However, don't count on getting a salary comparable to the Gulf.
Baggio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback NS. Having read other threads on the forum we are aware of some of the regulations about getting into Saudi Arabia. What's the teaching landscape like in Oman currently?

Can you recommend any MA TESOL courses in the UK? Other than practice curriculum what else should I be looking from in a course?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omanisation is moving ahead rapidly in all sectors including education. In education it is having two results: the standards are going down and the ex-pats who are still there have to work harder, often covering classes for the absent locals. Alongside Omanisation is a trend to employ more non-native speakers from India, other Arabic countries and the Philippines. This is partly due to costs as they will accept less (and say thank you more often). The plummeting oil prices have affected Oman badly, their budget is in tatters and money is being saved wherever possible. Still an infinitely nicer place than KSA though!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
Can you recommend any MA TESOL courses in the UK? Other than practice curriculum what else should I be looking from in a course?

No, I can't recommend any MA TESOL programs in the UK (I'm American).

It's not hard to research graduate university programs on your own. Besides, no one on this forum knows your budgets, desired locations, study habits, career goals, teaching interests, etc. So for starters, check out the universities in your city in the UK for MA programs. Also, give this thread a look: "What do you look for in a BA or MA degree program?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95138).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: