Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Students' attitudes toward English in Colombia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manholecover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Students' attitudes toward English in Colombia Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to teach in Colombia this year and wanted to find out the appetite for English in most cities, especially on the Caribbean coast. Are students eager to learn English or is it something they have to do and do so with less exuberantly than say flossing their teeth? Are most of the English students at language schools or universities upper class and educated? How has your experiences been working with Colombians in English classrooms?

Thanks!!!

MHC
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adults at institutes - extremely motivated, generally pleasant to teach

University students - from very motivated to fairly apathetic, generally very pleasant to teach

Teenagers and kids - from very motivated to apathetic to downright hostile, very difficult to teach in a K-12 context

At language schools you will have middle-class professionals. Universities will be upper-lower class to upper-class depending on if it's public or private.
manholecover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, spanglish! I appreciate all your responses and advice!
Gregorio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Spanglish said. At the top tier colegios, there is a lot of money and the students all have drivers, maids, nannies, buttwipers, etc. The only adults in their lives that aren't servants are their parents. In turn, they often transfer this "servant" mentallity toward the teacher.

It's sad really, but this makes them difficult to teach and outright disrespectful, more so than in the United States in my experience. From what I hear, it is often more difficult in English classes because they plagiarize very often and don't seem to understand why it's wrong. I teach math and history, but I have had the same experience, just on a smaller scale. They often want to speak in Spanish, but obviously in an English class, this is only going to hurt. You have to be really strict and penalize them if you hear them speaking Spanish.

I would say that a class of 10 rich caribbean colombians is like a class of 20 average students in the United States, not including extreme urban/ghetto environments.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your perspective, Gregorio! I put in a year at a very rich school on the coast - I definitely agree with what you have to say.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregorio wrote:
I would say that a class of 10 rich caribbean colombians is like a class of 20 average students in the United States, not including extreme urban/ghetto environments.

Every time I hear people say they want to move to the coast, all I can ever think is, "you have absolutely know idea what you're getting yourself into." It's not all surf's up and carnaval all year round.
G22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my students have been eager to learn. The people at institutes put up their own money to take classes and they generally want to get the most for their money. High school (colegio) students can sometimes be a bit difficult, but they generally become enthused if you make the lesson interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: