Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irish people are not allowed to teach in Indonesia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Irish people are not allowed to teach in Indonesia Reply with quote

A friend of mine has applied for a job in Indonesia and has been told that they cannot accept her because she is Irish and THEY DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH IN IRELAND.
I do not plan to work there but as curiosity I answered an ad for EF and this is the mail they sent me:
Dear Louise,
I am afraid that Indonesian government regulations do not permit Irish citizens to work as English teachers in Indonesia. Ridiculous but true. Would you be interested in working in China? I have attached some information for your perusal.

Best wishes,

Alex Chevrolle
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish people are not allowed to teach in Indonesia Reply with quote

Well, that simply isn't true. I work with another teacher from Ireland.

I'll ask him today if there was something special he had to do, or if it was simply a matter of our school bribing the right official...
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not believe it either but the mail I posted was sent to me by the recruitment agency for EF. You can ask them yourself if you like here's the mail address I wrote to.
[email protected]
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely confirm that the story EF are telling in the UK is that it is impossible to get a KITAS as an ESL teacher unless you have a UK, US, Canadian, Aus or NZ passport.

I know of foreign nationals holding academic posts in science subjects in Indonesian universities so I suspect there is a way around the issue by employing someone ostensibly to teach something else, and from my limited knowledge of Indonesian officialdom I suspect that a couple of crisp 50,000 ruhpiah notes might be enough to smooth the path!
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with my fellow teacher from Ireland. He has family in both Ireland and the UK - and has passports from both countries.
He had to use his UK passport to come here - so it does sound like you're up the creek as far as Indonesia. Sad

Ah well - there are plenty of other Asian countries you CAN teach in...
Winmar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed the case. It's because English isn't the "official" language in Ireland. If I'm not wrong, it's the same for South Africans.
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurent wrote:
Irish like Aussie.. have a "bizarre" pronunciations of words, and also strange expressions.....

Eh? I've been told by the students at my school that they find the Irish accent easier to understand than the Aussie accents of the other teachers.

Laurent wrote:
Since the early 80's Aussie and Irish folks also behaved very badly on Bali Island..... as per being drunk, having large tattoos, smoking pot, also loud at night in the streets......

I'm sure folks from every country of the world have behaved badly in the streets of Bali.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things here-

If you ever go to Ireland in summer you will see tons of foreign students there... do you know why? Because Ireland is famous for speaking the best English. I won't comment on American English even though I'm tempted.

Some Irish people may get drunk but in general they are appreciated everywhere and certainly not famous for causing problems. I doubt very much what you said about them causing trouble in Bali, basically I dont believe it.

As other posters said Irish are not "allowed" to teach in Indonesia because they think English is their second language. Some very "cultured" official must have consulted some books and it probably said that Irish is the official language. It says a lot about the cultural level of Indonesia.
As I said in my first post I'm not interested in going to Indonesia I was just curious whether it was true or not.
Aramas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I consider some Irish regional accents to be among the most beautiful in the English language. I'm not quite sure why someone would think Australian accents contain 'bizzarre pronunciations'. I consider it far less so than a lot of English, Scottish and Welsh regional accents, and like those places, the accent is much broader among the working classes. If 'bizzarre pronunciation' was a problem then Americans certainly wouldn't be allowed to teach English. As an Australian I'm occasionally accused of 'not being a real Australian' (usually by English backpackers), since I don't usually have a broad working class accent , although I can do a reasonable impression of the peasantry if required Smile

I'm listening to Delores O'Riorden and The Cranberries as I type, and I'd give her a good rogering just on the basis of her voice Smile
Winmar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a lift by a couple of guys in country Ireland a few years ago, and I couldn't understand a bloody work they said! I had to say "pardon" at least two or three times every time they made an utterance, which was a tad embarrassing.

I have a non-ocker Australian accent. Not sure if my pronunciation of words is weird or not, but I doubt it.
kaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: accents Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your problems with EF abd the being Irish bit. It does have to be said though that losing out on working in Indonesia with EF is no great hardship.
If your heart is set on Indonesia ( and have no idea why it would be butsome people love it) then try some of the other schools.

As for accents, I think the Irish one is great and where I currently am (nowhere near Indonesia)we'd love to have had more Irish applying.
Even though I'm English -always have been and always will be - I find accents for the North of England difficult to understand - ok so I'm a southerner but even so............
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how strong the accent is - mild northern accents are easy to understand, but strong Geordie ones on the other hand...... Smile

I don't think it's an EF thing - it's the pig-headedness of Indonesian immigration, as far as I've heard. They just won't issue a KITAS to teachers from countries which don't have English as their official language.
reality

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: You can work in Indonesia Reply with quote

Cool
I know personally Irish Teachers, who have worked or are currently working in Indonesia. I also know South African born Teachers, working in Indonesia.

I guess it depends on each School, and not the Immigration Department, dealing with the KITA's. There are other Schools, not just EF, and many offer better contracts and working conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: