Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best inexpensive ESL-er vacation spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
where's blasphemer when you need him.

he'd tell you about a 3 week trip with food, lodging, transportation costs, beers every night and ice cream for the kids, all for 567.93 zlotych.

Haha! The lodging would be 5 stars with unlimited kielbasa and complimentary massages. The total cost after three weeks would be 6.34zl
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack walker wrote:

Quote:
Haha! The lodging would be 5 stars with unlimited kielbasa and complimentary massages. The total cost after three weeks would be 6.34zl

and after 19 posts of arguing the numbers, he'd slowly start to reveal that the car he drove was borrowed, the gas was supplied by 3rd cousins that work the gas stations on the way, the lodging was his brother in law's old college buddy's place, the meat they ate was 4 groszy per kilo......oh, and that we're to blame for not being "kombinowac" enough. Shocked
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
jack walker wrote:

Quote:

and after 19 posts of arguing the numbers, he'd slowly start to reveal that the car he drove was borrowed, the gas was supplied by 3rd cousins that work the gas stations on the way, the lodging was his brother in law's old college buddy's place, the meat they ate was 4 groszy per kilo......oh, and that we're to blame for not being "kombinowac" enough. Shocked

....and the masseuse was his sister in law while the all you can eat evening buffet, actually consisted of road kill picked up along the journey!!
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are so OTT it's untrue. Whilst I can see you're all having a good old laugh at Blasphemer who has, what do you call them ..... it'll come back to me in a moment .... on the tip of my tongue .... ah, that's it - he has "friends" and another thing called "family" you guys have gone too far in attacking him for it and for using them.

Is it so unnatural that someone might use a "friend's" house in anywhere else in the world apart from Poland? Is it so unnatural that anywhere else in the world you might not rely on your "family"?

For example - me. I live in Warsaw, My wife's family is 250km away, my Polish family are further and my parents are in England. So we can't rely on "family" (although they help out a lot) so we sometimes enjoy the use of "help" from our "friends".

I've got a garden to get ready for sowing grass. In the world of you lot - this would immediately mean I spent 20k zł on a team to do it for me, supply them with whiskey and call girls (or at least recommend websites where they can find them) and take outs from the average restaurant for upwards of 40zł a meal. This might be considered "normal" in your worlds.

But - get this - I "borrowed" (I know them word will make the hairs on the back of your necks stand up) a roto-cultivater (or whatever they're called) from a "friend" and did that bit by myself. I used an old pallet from the building work to level the land, will buy seed myself and sow it myself. Will order in topsoil, do the whole thing again to get a precise level. Alien in your world, normal in mine. And it'll be normal in mine for all the time I'm in Poland regardless of whether it's holidays, help, business, etc etc

You know the saying "when in Rome ..." maybe you weren't kombinowac enough. I'd say that was your problem - wouldn't you?
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: kombinowac Reply with quote

I thought being an adult was about relying on yourself...paying your way....giving a good example to your children to rely on yourself and get what you want by setting goals and achieving them. Poncing, scheming and using are not what I'd call good life lessons. Self-respect is enhanced when you rely on number 1 and get stuff off your own bat. Borrowing a cultivator is not quite in Blasphemer's league. His figures are generally way off the mark. I was in Poznan 4 weeks ago. 5 days, 4,000 ZL.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One man's kombinowac (wheeling and dealing) is another man's common sense.

Personally, I've never seen Blasphemer post anything remotely as outrageous as what some have described.

okazik.pl and groupon.pl/ are good sites to find deals on trips.

And of course, 4000zl for five days in Poznan is nuts.

If you're going to throw that kind of dough around, why not go somewhere a bit more exotic than Poznan?
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Trip advisor Reply with quote

Poznan tops the league for rip off Polish hotels. In one recent article it was in the same group as Oslo. I have to go there 'cause my son lives with his Poznanianka mother

I go to other places too. Currently I'm in Kuwait but spent 2 weeks all inclusive in a 4 star hotel in the Red Sea (flew from the UK last April) for 2,700Zl. The same holiday in the same hotel cost much more from Poland.

300Zl for a room leaves 500Zl a day ie not much if you are eating out and generally enjoying yourself.

Poznan is starting to look tired.....the Rynek bars are all so naff and the service still atrocious. Eating out in Poland is really hit and miss.
They never get spicy foreign cuisine right. When I think of the best food I've ever had in the countries I've been to when eating out, nothing in Poland is memorable. Home cooking? well that's another story.....I love babcia's hearty dinners.

I find Poles often greedy and ungenerous......always willing to snap up a free drink, dinner or place to stay and I've met, known and dated countless numbers over 17 years.

Wheeling and dealing is what car salesmen do. Continuously using your kombinowac skills is called being a cheapskate/sponger or schemie.

However, I'm English (Home Counties) and was born with a good sense of distaste.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip advisor Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I find Poles often greedy and ungenerous

I'd say I've had the exact opposite experience in Poland as relative to Anglo countries... I must have a pretty face Very Happy
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

Or a face that induces sympathy and charity.
posh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szklarska Poreba is a pleasant little mountain retreat and cheap, mainly because almost nobody goes there.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trip advisor Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
300Zl for a room leaves 500Zl a day ie not much if you are eating out and generally enjoying yourself.

I found rooms in Poz for as little as 70zl a night at Booking.com.
sharter wrote:

Poznan is starting to look tired.....the Rynek bars are all so naff and the service still atrocious. Eating out in Poland is really hit and miss.
They never get spicy foreign cuisine right. When I think of the best food I've ever had in the countries I've been to when eating out, nothing in Poland is memorable. Home cooking? well that's another story.....I love babcia's hearty dinners.

I'm finally going to visit Poz next week. Any recommendations for food/pubs?
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The cheapest rooms were in the old Wielkapolska, now a trendy no smoking place that charges 500Zl a night. There's a pokoj goscinne place off Dambrowskiego where you can get a room for 75Zl a night but it's quite far from the centre. Shared hostel rooms start at around 50Zl and you'll get a single for a tonne. Anyhow...I've stayed in most of these places from the 70Zl option to the 900Zl option. The best value by a mile is a little old lady on Garbary who has en suite rooms, with TV for 100 a night. There's even an ironing board and iron. I can give you the number if you pm me. After my stints in the desert I stay in comfort....I just don't do backpacking any more.

Places to go? Well, depends what you are into? Student bars include Dragon and Meskalina followed by an all nighter at 8-Bit. Tanner's and Brogan's Irish pubs are also ok. In the rynek it's pretty pants these days. Browaria and Tapas are busy and popular. Room 55 tries to be up market but isn't. The Lizard King has a lovely staff but badly needs a refurb. The legendary Harry's closed years ago.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: what to do and see there Reply with quote

1-Stary Browar. An amazing mall, full of restaurants and a good cinema.
2-Lake Malta. You can ski on the artificial slope and I think the aquapark has just opened.
3-Stary Rynek and Fara (a beautiful church).
4-Cytadela Park with its military war graves, including an allied cemetery where the great escapers are buried.

For grub I like Stary Ratuszowa on the rynek and Valpolicella on Wroclawska off the rynek. Browaria is also ok.

For drinking just do a pub crawl in and around the square.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, sharter. I'll def give those places a look.

I'm kombinowac-ing it a bit by staying with a friend so no need for a room at present.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

If they are British or American, I probably know them. Oh I forgot...if the weather's good you can also hire a mountain bike for the forests around Lake Malta. Don't know if you smoke but the following are smoking friendly pubs; Browaria, Lizard King (Rynek), Vikings on Murna (just off the rynek up Paderewskiego), the Dubliner (Zamek) and Brogans (just off Wielka).
You've gotta checkout Piwo Pialnija on Wroclwawska...it's a 24hr cheap Polish drinking haunt....perfect for that Sunday morning hangover. Regarding the shopping malls...Poz has loads of them but Stary Browar is a work of art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: