Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need a job, need advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phila009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: need a job, need advice Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I would like to get a job as an English teacher, preferably in European countries or somewhere further, e.g. Canada. The thing is I come from a small town where no one wants to hire teachers. The town is called Bialystok and there are so many English teachers / schools that they don't want me Sad I'm really sad 'coz I think I deserve a well-paid job !! I really am desperate. I don't have a driving licence yet so I can't take up a job in the other city.

I've heard of some UK's programmes but still I don't know if they're trustful. The programme I heard about is called bluewaveinternational.com

Can anyone help me? Do you have any recommendations for work in the USA Canada or European countries??? I'd appreciate your help.

I have experience. I already give private lessons in my city. I've got a FCE certificate and I'm about to finish my MA degree next year.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get a job as an English teacher, preferably in European countries or somewhere further, e.g. Canada. ..... I'm really sad 'coz I think I deserve a well-paid job !!

Sorry, but with just FCE and being a non-native speaker, I don't think you qualify (yet) for 'well paid jobs,' particularly not in countries where English is the first language of the natives!

Consider Canada: a very tight job market, many teachers seeking work - to get a well-paid job requires a related MA and years of experience teaching - plus native speaker status. Check out the North America forum for more info on this .... it's totally unrealistic that any school would give a non-native speaker teacher a visa, when there are tonnes of highly qualified and experienced native speakers around.

I work in Western Europe at a university. We do hire non-native speakers, but only with related MAs, lots of experience, and something much higher than FCE certs (CPE).

Realistically, I think you will need to consider other options. I really don't think that you currently have what it would take to get any job as an English language teacher (much less a well-paid one) in either Western Europe or North America. Sorry to be negative, but it's important to have realistic expecations so that you can make plans that will actually work for you!!
phila009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I would like to get a job as an English teacher, preferably in European countries or somewhere further, e.g. Canada. ..... I'm really sad 'coz I think I deserve a well-paid job !!

Sorry, but with just FCE and being a non-native speaker, I don't think you qualify (yet) for 'well paid jobs,' particularly not in countries where English is the first language of the natives!

Consider Canada: a very tight job market, many teachers seeking work - to get a well-paid job requires a related MA and years of experience teaching - plus native speaker status. Check out the North America forum for more info on this .... it's totally unrealistic that any school would give a non-native speaker teacher a visa, when there are tonnes of highly qualified and experienced native speakers around.

I work in Western Europe at a university. We do hire non-native speakers, but only with related MAs, lots of experience, and something much higher than FCE certs (CPE).

Realistically, I think you will need to consider other options. I really don't think that you currently have what it would take to get any job as an English language teacher (much less a well-paid one) in either Western Europe or North America. Sorry to be negative, but it's important to have realistic expecations so that you can make plans that will actually work for you!!

OK and you're the master of the world!! Big deal!! I will get the MA degreee and even higher. Then we'll see whose posts are going to be negative. I'm already preparing for CPE and Business cert.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the reply. Wish you luck
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Rolling Eyes
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK and you're the master of the world!!

Well. . . he did get that (almost) right! Wink I have long appreciated your dedication to the thankless task of getting people to face reality, Spiral. Somehow you usually manage to convey a hard-headed, common sense view of reality while maintaining a courteous respect for the poster's hopes--not an easy balance to achieve.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was just being honest... He just told you something you don't want to hear.

He didn't sugar coat anything...

A company will not import someone when there are millions of native speakers already there.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Also for corroboration...it's always useful to have more than one person's viewpoint on the issues.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, as usual, was giving honest and valuable advice. I don't think the tone of the OP's replies was warranted. Perhaps the CPE will help with that, eh?
scottie1113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral, your initial reply to the OP was right on target, and I would have written the same thing if you hadn't beaten me to the punch. Sometimes reality is a bitter pill to swallow, as witness his response to your post.

And to the OP: once you have your MA and CPE, plus some sort of teaching credential (ie CELTA or more), you'll be well qualified to teach English, whether it be in Poland or Canada. Keep your nose to the grindstone, don't lose sight of your goal and you'll get there. Good luck to you lad.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Scottie, but it needs to be really clear: Canada will still be off the table for a Polish native, even with a related MA and a CPE. I've worked in Canada - the job market is really full up with native English speakers with related post-grad quals and tons of experience - it wasn't easy for me to find a job, and I've got the whole package.

English teacher is not one of the jobs that Canada will issue a visa for, having more than enough of their own already.

If it's North America the OP wants, another option will really be needed. Western Europe might be a possibility.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Didn't know that about Canada. I agree that Western Europe might be worth a look.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Western Europe might be worth a look.

With more quals than the OP currently has, just to again be (crystal) clear.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw I dunno about that, Spiral, me old master. Charm can get you a long way...
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK and you're the master of the world!! Big deal!! I will get the MA degreee and even higher. Then we'll see whose posts are going to be negative.

Yep, Sasha, I see your point. Huge charm potential Shocked
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

English teacher is not one of the jobs that Canada will issue a visa for, having more than enough of their own already.

Maybe things have changed but 10 yrs ago, I met a Ukrainian with his family in Vancouver who'd arrived to do just that. He's been teaching ever since. As he's fluent in Russian and English, he also does translation from time to time. Back then there were also a fair number of non-native speakers teaching English in some of Van's private schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: