Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westgate application process
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdoor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thinking about it, I went back and checked my old emails. I did get my housing assignment with final address in Japan 5 days before I arrived in Tokyo. So I did know the area I would be in but did not know my school until I arrived at the two-day orientation.
arzeller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4Mercury18 wrote:
Hello;

I have a contract with Westgate for the upcoming Fall term. This is my first contract with them and first trip to Japan--all tips and suggestions are welcome!

But as for my application experience: all of my references were from the same long-term position (I worked for the same program teaching ESL in the US for 4+years) and it wasn't a problem. They were not all teachers or supervisors either. So I think WG is pretty flexible with what they will accept, as long as you can make a case that it is relevant.

As far as placements: I actually did get offered a specific post in a specific city and university. It's slightly outside the Tokyo metro area: I told them at my interview that I was flexible and happy with being outside of the city center, so that may be why they (sort of) confirmed my assignment for me in advance. They actually sent me two options and asked for my preference. However, all of my communications from WG regarding the contract include the disclaimer that final assignments will be made closer to the start date. It's kind of ambiguous, but it seems that they are reserving the right to change the assignment up to the last minute, depending on their needs, which is reasonable. This is of course what mdoor was saying:

"It is likely Westgate has an assignment in mind for the person that they hire, but they also want to have a final head count of who actually shows up and is ready to work, then they can make any needed adjustments and release the final assignments."

Good luck on your applications Mrguay84, TT-Kira, mdp19742004, et. al.!

Mercury:

I'm leaving for Japan through Westgate in a few weeks as well, and it will be my first time to Japan too. If you'd be interested in talking about it, or sharing any tips/information, hit me up! Potentially meet you soon..?

Adam Zeller
[email protected]
pinkstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interview with Westgate last Monday (for Spring 2013). Haven't heard back yet. I have lots of teaching experience but I'm kicking myself because I think I gave a stupid answer to one of the questions (teaching scenario related).
I'm so annoyed at myself when I know I could have answered better.
Does anyone know how long it normally take to hear back after the interview? I know I am applying fairly early for next year.

I will post back when I hear and give information about the interview too if anyone is interested.
RyznFree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had my first interview for Spring semester 2013 yesterday (November 13th) and received an email from the interviewer just a couple hours later asking for visa related information. So I'm assuming I passed the interview, but I haven't thoroughly checked the process.

Anyways, good luck.
pinkstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it went well.
I also received the visa questions. I then had an email about a week later saying it would be a few weeks until they confirmed if I have a position or not. I applied quite early and I think they have to work out how many positions they have after they see who will be returning from the current semester.
I don't mind waiting as I'm actually now looking at international school jobs for a more long term move (I'm an Elementary school teacher) so I have a few options hopefully! Hopefully I will get one or the other!
Good luck! Write back if you hear anything.
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone who has gone through the process of renewing a contract with Westgate elaborate on how it goes?

I'm considering applying to Westgate next year. I'm currently in the Middle East, but am a former JET who would love to return to Japan. The short contracts offered by Westgate are nice, but I'm curious about renewing contracts. Is there a break period between contracts for returnees where you can travel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: