Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English major required?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: English major required? Reply with quote

I'm told that now Indonesia only issues work permits for TESOL to English majors. Is this true? As of about a year and a half ago, there were about half a dozen majors they would accept including applied linguistics (mine) and education.

Anybody know if there's been a change (or if the school simply has their facts wrong), and where I could find the precise regulations?

Thanks and regards,
~Q
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pointless looking for the precise regulations because, like everything else in Indonesia, they're open to manipulation, abuse, interpretation and bribery so in reality they actually mean very little.

It's certainly more difficult to get a work permit now but not impossible by any means. There are a few threads on here about it, but also check out expat forums where it's been discussed ad infinitum.

In a nutshell, and this maybe not what you want to hear, nobody can give you a definitive "yes" or "no" - it depends on a myriad of circumstances. It can depend on where you're teaching and who you're working for and what influence or connections they have.

However, with a degree in applied linguistics and education then I'd say you stand a better chance than most, but it can often come down to the words that are actually written on your certificate. I believe they're looking for "magic" words like "English" and "Education".

Sorry I can't give you a better answer than that Sad
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a degree in education, though I took some education classes. I'm just noting that those are the two exceptions I remember; I had a friend who taught in Indonesia as an Education major. I think business was another accepted major, and there might be one or two others. I'm pretty sure "linguistics" is also a magic word based on some reactions I've had to the term in my current country of residence.

Any rate, this is a great school, otherwise I'd say, "eh, screw it." (At this point, I'm willing to work anywhere that pays decently, doesn't make me teach kids, and will accept one year's experience. As far as I can tell, that means Indonesia, Vietnam, China, and Saudi Arabia. Of these four countries, Indonesia would be my first choice.)

~Q
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already been offered the job? If so, then ask the school if they foresee any problems with getting you a work permit. Alternatively, you could ask the question at the interview. As I said, some places are having major problems, others aren't, but as you have a particular employer in mind then it's a much easier question to answer than if you were asking from a more general perspective.

Good luck!
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know, it's all about the word 'English' on a person's degree. 'Education' does not suffice because Education does not mean English. That being said, it seems that an Education degree which focuses on English or a linguistics degree which focuses on English etc. will work.

If a person's university certificate actually says it's a degree in English, you are home free. If it is vague, like many are, and doesn't say what the major is in, DIKNAS seems to be requesting transcripts to prove what the degree is in and to show that enough English classes were taken.

A real pain to be sure, but also the reality of the day.

Then again, some schools seem absolutely immune to any government regulations, so for those without English degrees, there are options. They just might not be the preferred option.
Ragil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Didn't stop TBI Malang's previous DOS who (not for reasons quite possibly unrelated to educational qualifications - or lack thereof - was a complete philistine and likely psychotic) didn't even have a degree, let alone a relevant major of any kind.

[Nor did this particular individual appear to own footwear which utilised laces, but I digress ...]

Anyway, it didn't stop said DOS's cv or fabricated testamurs from making claims to the contrary. Such is the problem with corruption (or casual footwear): Completely unacceptable, unless it suits one's interests or can be gotten away with. Evil or Very Mad Wink Rolling Eyes
Ragil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Did I say DOS? What I meant was self-styled "Kaiser". (His/her deluded appellation of choice. Not mine).

"Schlemazel" would be my choice.
Atoms for Peace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Unlucky at TBI as well. Heard the phrase "common denominator" at all?
Bule_Gila

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT: Posting illegal practices and/or advice for doing such is not allowed on the forums.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: