Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Summer Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: British Council Summer Jobs Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here has taught at the British Councils summer programs in the MENA? I've seen jobs on their website for places in Tunisia, Oman, and Jordan teaching youngsters. If you've taught there or no anyone that has, can you please let me know what your experience was like? How strict were they are with experience and quals in the hiring process? They say they want a CELTA and two years minimum, which I don't have, but I'm hoping with an MA TESOL and some experience (only 6 months, but counting practicum I guess I could argue that I have 1.5 years!) I might have a shot at them. Never hurts to apply and see what happens!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that you are American? I suspect that Brits with a CELTA will have priority in their hiring. Not that they would NEVER hire an American Laughing just that since the BC locations are often the CELTA trainers in the Middle East, you have two black marks... so to speak.

That said... you could apply and see what happens. Prove me wrong!!

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with VS; these MENA positions are geared toward UK citizens. You'll see the ads state that salaries are paid in GBP into a UK bank account; flights originate from the UK. Moreover, as a summer school teacher, you will "contribute to the development of lasting, mutually beneficial relationships by enhancing students' understanding of contemporary UK."

You may want to rethink summer teaching through the BC and instead, look at other countries with similar opportunities that are open to different nationalities.
kona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you two are right. It seems that they are pretty specific about what they want, i.e. there's a section in the application that asks how much time do you have post CELTA working with youth 8-12, 13-17, etc. I was kinda of hoping that they might make an exception for an MA TESOL; but then again, they probably know just as well as I do that an MA TESOL doesn't mean you are good at teaching young people. I think I'll have to take a pass for other reasons though; I now know the date for my brothers wedding and things just don't quite line up!
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''I suspect that Brits with a CELTA will have priority in their hiring. Not that they would NEVER hire an American''

Not necessarily. My first summer school post was in Syria back in 2006, and there was a Canadian guy employed for the summer school in Aleppo. Again in 2007 in Jordan there were 2 American guys hired for the summer school, one then then went on to be a senior teacher in Poland. What the BC are looking for are the necessary qualifications or equivilent and some experience.

My advice would be to apply and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

For information summer school teachers usually get paid via a cheque in local currency.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crewmeal1 wrote:
''I suspect that Brits with a CELTA will have priority in their hiring. Not that they would NEVER hire an American''

Not necessarily. My first summer school post was in Syria back in 2006, and there was a Canadian guy employed for the summer school in Aleppo. Again in 2007 in Jordan there were 2 American guys hired for the summer school, one then then went on to be a senior teacher in Poland. What the BC are looking for are the necessary qualifications or equivilent and some experience.

My advice would be to apply and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ummm... your post says nearly exactly what mine said... but with more words. Laughing

I expect that having a CELTA is the key...

VS
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just clarifying the muddy waters of the British Council, based on experience VS!!
kona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crewmeal1, did the people you spoke of have a CELTA and a few years experience? I'm sure non-brits can get jobs at the BC summer school posts just fine so long as their are no visa restrictions (ex. Egypt) and that they have the necessary quals; do you think my quals would suffice?
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just apply and see. It's not too difficult to fill out their form. I've found the BC to be good about giving feedback the (many) times I've applied for positions and not gotten them.
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kona I didn't enquire about their qualifications, but I know the BC is happy to hire non Brits if the relevant experience and CELTA/DELTA equivalent is there.

On a slightly different note it's nice to see the BC pick up the pieces in Egypt and Libya and restart teaching again. There are ads for both places on their website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: