Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in MEast with a criminal record
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching in MEast with a criminal record Reply with quote

Although I have a BA in English Lit, a CELTA, and an MA, I also have a criminal record.

Obviously, a CRB check will show up my conviction (it's not for anything too serious -- no jail, no violent or sexual offence etc). Does this automatically mean i won't be able to find a job in the Middle East, or is it more of a discretionary thing?

What countries would I be best off applying in, and which countries would be a complete no-no?
jxyz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PMs
Dee Gnarls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I please get a PM or reply on this? I have a very similar situation - well-qualified, I think (I'm currently a SpEd Eng teacher in the States), but with a DWI from 2000.

Thanks much! Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 5 posts to do PMs.

VS
Dee Gnarls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Well, one more, then... Razz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly... it is a bother for new people that just want information, but it slows down the spammers. Laughing

VS
Dee Gnarls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, durr, here's my 5th post, then! Now welcoming input on the question at hand via PM or any other medium....
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done this about five times for Gulf jobs since 1992. In each case, for both the UAE and KSA, a background check from any local jurisdiction was fine. In 1994 I was between two KSA jobs and I didn't have any home address in the US. I simply went to the local police station in the small NJ town where I was visiting friends, and got one there that said there was no record of arrests or convictions "in this jurisdiction." Nice stamp and signature on it. Bada bing, bada boom.

Same procedure many years later from Houston, where I based myself, except there it's done at the county courthouse.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... BaderBin... are you saying that you had "issues" in your past that weren't found? Cool (that was the question, after all...)

VS
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I think my experiences answer the question, though. You can go to any US jurisdiction and get a background check for that jurisdiction (as long as they don't require that you're a resident of that locale to get the report).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question wasn't how to get one... but if one can pass the check with a conviction or a DWI on one's records.

So... can one?

I never had to provide one of these at any employer over my years there.

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is...YES! I heartily concur w/'Four to the B". Laughing As long as you are not required to be a resident of the community, you can stroll into any PD and they'll, for a fee, issue a police certificate stating that your as pure as the driven snow...

...in their jurisdiction!

It's a revenue-raising function of many PDs!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

I think what B4 may mean

"You can go to any US jurisdiction and get a background check for that jurisdiction (as long as they don't require that you're a resident of that locale to get the report)."

is that DWIs are usually only on local (or maybe state) records. So, if you get the background check in a different locality (it may have to be another state,) it wouldn't show up.

"Criminal Records Information and DUI
�Record� is a term used to describe a person�s overall criminal history. Accurate criminal records are a hard thing for the government to keep track of. Because when you�re talking about criminal records you�re talking about records that must be maintained by every level of government.
Agencies from the local police department all the way up to the federal level including the FBI maintain criminal records. All of these criminal records are maintain on separate databases at each level of government, criminal records are not maintained within one database that every agency can access.
On the state level, some states have a central database that contains criminal records for every county and court within that state. The information contained in these records is often inaccurate due to the fact that they are not accurately supervised and new information is not always added on a regular basis.
At this time the United States does not have a central database of criminal records with the exception of the FBI. And if you were charged with a drunk driving offense, you are not in the FBI�s database.
When it comes to criminal records on a national level, the government is mostly concerned with tracking crimes like sexual assault or cases that involve premeditated violence or a threat to the United States national security.
Misdemeanor drunk driving charges are held at the county level and in no other place. You may be told that the state has a record of your misdemeanor drunk driving charge, but more than 90% of the time they do not. You should call your state agencies to confirm.
When it comes to felony DUI or DWI charges, these are held at the state level in the state record database.
Criminal records information is tracked through your address history as it is listed on your credit file with the three major credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian and Trans Union. Remember, credit reporting agencies are keepers of information on everyone.
It is a little known fact that the credit reporting agencies supply a lot more information than just a person�s credit history. The credit reporting agencies don�t make any claims that their information is accurate or that they even bother with trying to verify that the information they have is correct.
When a background check is conducted on an individual, a private company like ChoicePoint or a similar company that performs background checks will start by asking you where you have lived for the last 7 years and then asks you to list this information on their form which you sign as an authorization for them to conduct a background check.
The company starts their search by requesting your credit history from the three agencies listed above, which provides them with your previous addresses for the past 7 years. They then compile a list of the addresses that showed up from your credit file and the information you provide.
This process is referred to as a skip trace or a social security trace depending on which company is conducting the background check. There is no escaping a criminal record by moving to another state, because the credit bureaus keep records of every address you have ever lived at for any amount of time.
If you want to learn how to clear or significantly minimize your DUI record or get it expunged from your criminal records, you owe it yourself to get a copy of the DUI Process Manual. This manual provides step-by-step instructions on how to expunge a DUI conviction from your criminal records.
If you're not sure what is on your criminal record and want to find out, you can perform an instant background check here for criminal records information including felony, misdemeanor, sex offender & county offense records."

http://www.duiarresthelp.com/criminal-records.php

Regards,
John
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

Quote:
At this time the United States does not have a central database of criminal records with the exception of the FBI.

The insinuation is that the NCIC is an FBI database open for local access?

It's a question worth asking!
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really interesting stuff on this thread. I am from the UK, so I think the process is different over here?

In essence, one is expected to present a copy of your Criminal Record Check, along with a degree and CELTA, rather than the school doing THEIR OWN background checks? Is that a correct assumption?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: