Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pay for privates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoboz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: pay for privates? Reply with quote

say, i could use some guidance regarding hourly rates for giving private lessons. what are teachers charging?
thanks!
benbobaggins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1st - it is illegal to teach privates cos of terms of your KITAS.

but, Rp. 350-450,000 an hour would do it for me...
Very Happy
geoboz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your suggestion.
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I don't teach privates as I can't be bothered and don't need/want the money, but I know a few teachers who do and they charge between 200-300,000 per hour depending on location.

350-450 sounds a bit steep to me, that's the kind of amount that language schools charge for one-on-ones. However, if there are teachers out there earning that amount for an hour's work then fair play to them.

I would imagine if you prove yourself and start getting recommendations then you can raise your prices accordingly, but you may wish to charge modestly to begin with.
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a private student for quite a few years, but when I did it, I charged Rp 300,000 per hour, but I allowed 2 students together so they could split the fee. This way was great because they could then speak together a lot (high STT, low TTT right?) and I could just help keep the conversation going.

I would try to get 1.5-2 hour blocks if possible as travelling can be a real burden if you are doing it often.

This is all theoretical of course, because it's illegal, so actually I didn't do what I said above, I just daydreamnt it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: