Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILTC Moldova

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachateacha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: ILTC Moldova Reply with quote

Don't do it!

After having some good experiences in Asia I had the idea that maybe Eastern Europe would be better about not screwing over employees.

If you want to be worked over like a dog Monday through Saturday (something they do not say in their new ad) and get paid a few days late as the accountant tries to figure out the lowest rate of dollar to leu (you get paid in dollars) so the school can cheat you out of well deserved earnings, OR not get the vacation you were promised in a bogus interview - Don't go there!

The school currently has no native English speaking teachers. This should be a red flag to potential teachers. None of the English speaking teachers who worked there before I arrived finished their contracts and were happy to move-on from this experience.

Chisinau is not a bad place to live - when you are not working. I also encountered many unhappy young students who were learning English to leave their country. To add to the list of other mishaps: Moldovans work harder not smarter - so that is frustrating, being called lazy for wanting some time off was unnerving, barely any contact with the director who hasn't seen the inside of a classroom in 20 years, unqualified people in higher up positions who are uncaring toward international hires who try to work with them not against them.

Don't do it!!!!!
fueledbyjames

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: ILTC Reply with quote

Hi I just interviewed for a position there. Define "work like a dog"...is it more than full time work? Was it easy to befriend the other teachers? How were the living arrangements? Just curious, please let me know.
teachateacha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will work Monday through Friday about 4-9pm and then on Saturday from 9AM to 3PM. There is not a lot of time to really experience the city or the country. It was tiring and would not recommend it to anyone. I lived in a cheap rundown apartment when I first arrived and then moved a better one only after another coworker was kicked out. It was a good deal to only pay the bills to the place, but your Moldovan coworkers will pick the situation apart and shame you for having something they do not.

Some coworkers were friendly, however they will only talk to you if they need some advice for a lesson - that's it. Don't expect to hang-out with them either. Only the foreign teachers would go out together and there were only 3 of us.

The whole place is a disaster. But if having your pay messed with and don't see a problem with it, then by all means.....Yes, I am still bitter about working there - horrible decision.
Aristophanes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also worked at ILTC and they currently have no native speakers for a reason.

Moldovan teachers need the money and ILTC does pay well by Moldovan standards, and consequently this means they will work ridiculous hours. During our interviews we were all told we may have to work Saturdays sometimes, but Saturday was in fact set in stone. 6 day weeks take their toll and teachers are generally miserable and tired.

Our boss treated us like Moldovans ie like robots but she didn't seem to understand that native speakers work for different reasons to Moldovans. $950 means Moldovans will accept certain working conditions but for the natives we can walk and that is exactly what we all did when our contracts ended. Our concerns were brought up with management but there was absolutely no interest in making us feel more comfortable. If anything my manager stated that Westerners don't understand what hard work means and suggested that we were all lazy.

They have no native speakers this year and I generally feel they will be happier like that. It certainly wasn't a welcoming environment so if you do go there then expect to make friends with other native teachers (whom don't exist currently) or to make friends outside of work which I did but with difficulty due to such a difficult work schedule.

If you want a life outside of work then I wouldn't recommend coming to ILTC. It's one benefit is it's salary which doesn't help much when you have no time to spend it. And $950 a month is hardly worth emigrating for.
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they biased against older (50+) teachers? I'm American, sent in my resume and heard not a thing. Or would having a Masters in TESOL scare them off? I mentioned in my email that I was fully aware of the monthly salary difference between here and Saudi Arabia in US dollars and that I had no trouble with that. Why would they pass me over?
Aristophanes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
Are they biased against older (50+) teachers? I'm American, sent in my resume and heard not a thing. Or would having a Masters in TESOL scare them off? I mentioned in my email that I was fully aware of the monthly salary difference between here and Saudi Arabia in US dollars and that I had no trouble with that. Why would they pass me over?

The boss doesn't like native speakers at all because they won't put up with being treated like locals. The more qualified and experienced you are the less likely you are to put up with the work conditions.

Moldovan teachers work there because of the salary and accept the working conditions. The fact that you worked in Saudi and you possess experience works against you. They are more likely to hire newbies who don't know any better and won't answer back.
teachateacha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Aristophanes. The less experience the better and sometimes they didn't even know what they were looking for. Also, being the only American to finish my contract it was considered a pain by for the school to get all of my visa stuff in order - that could also be part of it. It was easier for EU people to acquire their docs faster. I too am not as young as the newbie Moldovan teachers - so it probably wasn't agism either.

I think coming from working in Saudi to working in Moldova would be a let down for you. You dodged a bullet.
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really consider 4 pm to 9 pm Monday - Friday and 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday to be "worked like a dog." While I can't comment on the rest, the hours seem quite typical by the standards of post-Soviet countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: