Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universidad del Istmo, Ixtepec, Oaxaca

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philipjmorgan42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Universidad del Istmo, Ixtepec, Oaxaca Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience of working at this university or know anything about it? I've had a job offer to start working there at the start of March. The package is pretty good, 12 000 a month, 5 weeks paid holiday etc. The only thing that worries me a bit is the area, I googled Ixtepec and got up very little information about it, so guessing when I'm not at work I could get very bored very quickly...

I also had a job offer from Universidad del Papaloapan, which is in Tuxtepec (also Oaxaca), pretty much the same package

Any information appreciated. Thank you
tjteachin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at the Tehauntepec campus a few years ago. It was a nice experience. Laid back work environment with calm students. Yeah, it is boring, but I managed by having cable at home (plenty of rooms to rent with cable... personally I mostly lived in Salina Cruz) and by occasionally going to Oaxaca City and Cinepolis.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these universities are part of the SUNEO (sistema de universidades estatales de oaxaca.) So the packages are exactly the same. (Though some campuses advertise the pre-tax salary and some the take home.)

Both locations are VERY hot. Both are humid. Ixtepec is way smaller than Tuxtepec, Tuxtepec is the state of Oaxaca's second largest city, but it seems like a small town--there is one small mall with a couple of national chains and a movie theatre. Neither are really places for people who'd love to live in NYC or someplace like that. Being an avid reader, really helps.
The campus at Tuxtepec is well out of town and with traffic it takes about 45 mins to get there from down town. In Ixtepec the campus is also outside of town, but it just takes you a few minutes to get there.
At Tuxtepec there is currently one other English teacher. At Ixtepec there are 5. In tuxtepec the students are primarly nursing students (and therefore primarily female.) At Ixtepec they study business, public admin and law.

How do I know all this? I have worked in the SUNEO system for 16 years. And I've visited both of these places, I was just at the Tuxtepec campus last month. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them--I also encourage you to use the search function as there have been many threads about SUNEO universities over the years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: