Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative Certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marliesue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Alternative Certification Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been working as a teacher for 3 years now and am about to complete my Masters in International Education. I still however do not have my teaching certification from the U.S.

Does anyone know which state has alternative certification processes so I could work towards that without repeating an Undergrad degree?

Thanks!

Marlie
gator07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all states offered alternative certification... but maybe not? I know that both Florida & Georgia offer that route, but I'm not 100% sure on the details for that. I believe it can vary from county to county so you'd need to check that county's board of education website.
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Alternative Certification Reply with quote

I am positive that both Tennessee & Kentucky offer alternative certification. You would have to teach at least 3 successful years to qualify for full licensure in TN. I would definitely suggest that you go ahead and complete the certification. It will open a lot of doors for you if you decide to teach at international schools.

Also agree with above poster. Would be best to check the county that you are looking to teach with.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that most states have this, but may only accept applicants for high-need certification tracks. In NYC, the main program recruits people for special ed, ESL, bilingual ed, science, and math. So be sure that you'd want to work in one of these areas. Some of the tracks may have academic requirements, too. Math, for example, may require 30 college credit hours in math. In NYC, you need a math and science credit to get ESL certified.

Also, you may be placed in a difficult school.

Otherwise, it's a great deal.
Swing59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Minnesota has a program. It looks similar to a masters program. There are a lot of courses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: