Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interac destroying working conditions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwantmyrightsnow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Interac destroying working conditions Reply with quote

And from the pages of Gaijinpot; These stellar jobs from Interac

Interac Co., Ltd
Position: ALT
Type: Mid-career
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Salary from: JPY 1,950,000/year

Required English Level: Native-level
Required Japanese Level: Conversational
Date Posted: 2004-04-19
JOB ID: 4580
Working days are Monday through Friday (8:30am-4:30pm)

Interac Co., Ltd
Salary from: JPY 2,080,000/year

Date Posted: 2004-04-21
JOB ID: 4603
from May 10th through to Feb. 25th. Working hours are from 8:30am to 4:15pm.

Want to fight against these kind of conditions? Contact gu@generalunion.org
canuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interac Osaka is horrible. They only pay when you work. That's it. They do say that since you aren't getting paid for July and August, you are "allowed" to find a part-time job in the summer. Rolling Eyes

Zenken is no better. ECC (hiring for high schools) is not much better than these two. The whole dispatching to high schools, junior highs and elementary schools absolutely suck. I really hope that teachers boycott these places and the companies/schools they have contracts with have to find teachers on their own.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Woah! That averages out to less than Y200,000 a month if you work a 12 month period.

A single person's overhead is still something like Y160,000, even living in the burbs. That's a narrow margin.

You certainly couldn't do much after paying your expenses. It would be a hardship to fly home at that rate, and you wouldn't have any savings.

This wage is unacceptable. I urge anybody reading this forum to leave rock-bottom offers like this one unanswered. If nobody will apply for these jobs, these cheap and careless people will get the message.
klute

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear me!! You know that things must be really bad when even Interac is ashamed to display its monthly salaries on its job postings. I suppose they think prospective employees will see a yearly salary of 1,950,000 yen and hesitate just long enough to contemplate working as an ALT at these rates. Be under no illusions this is full-time work, and for the less mathematically inclined:

1,950,000 = 162500 yen pcm

2,080,000 = 173333 yen pcm

If you work that out at an hourly rate (the pcm rate divided by 4 weeks, divided by 40 hours per week, the advertised working time for Interac ALTs) the first job works out at 1015 yen per hour, the second at 1083 yen per hour. Congratulations Interac! You really ARE McEikawa and the old joke - 'I'm just working at Interac until a position opens up at McDonalds' - is now a reality.

I think it is fair to say that anyone foolish enough to work for those rates is missing the plot and really deserves everything they get.
gimp208@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mr. "I want my rights now" wants to get paid for doing nothing all summer! Don't we all. In the real world, people get paid when they work.

If you don't want to work for a certain wage- well don't. No one is forcing you to work at Interac or anywhere else.

And as for the guy calculating the wages to be about the same as McDonald's- he is just not being honest. Go to the details of the job. It is listed as Part time- full time. While I agree that is confusing, at least check it out before you assume it is 40 hours a week. It is not.

By the way, many of us had their first job at McDonald's, where we received good training and learned how to do an honest day's work. Once again, no one is forced to work there. I've also noticed over the years that the ones who complain most about McDonald's wages are the first ones through the door when they need a quick burger. How about you?

The day after Interac advertised the low paying jobs, they advertised three other jobs, paying 250,000, 270,000 and 280,000 per month. But those don't count, do they?

I'm certainly not interested in a part-time job for 170,000 yen per month but some people might be. It's called freedom of choice.
Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimp208@hotmail.com wrote:

And as for the guy calculating the wages to be about the same as McDonald's- he is just not being honest... . I've also noticed over the years that the ones who complain most about McDonald's wages are the first ones through the door when they need a quick burger. How about you?

No, Gimp. I don't need English lessons from an Eikaiwa. Laughing

Eikaiwa might be akin to McD's but things will have gotten truly wierd when Ekaiwa teachers of any sort become their own best costomers. Laughing Laughing Laughing
klute

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimp baby, I am being honest. If you had spent a bit more time reading and a bit less time writing, you would have seen that the Full-time/part time heading is just that - a heading. In the next column it tells you that it is a full-time position. If you had looked a bit further at the bottom of the ad, you would have seen the written confirmation of this. I have pasted the whole thing for you below. So pucker up, stopping wasting peopleís time, and stop calling people dishonest by, to use your own words, "checking it out".

Two things - 1) Flipping burgers is not a "mid career" job. 2) You mentioned "I've also noticed over the years that the ones who complain most about McDonald's wages are the first ones through the door when they need a quick burger." Not that I can see a relevant connection to this thread but how did you find that out - standing outside McDonalds with a clipboard conducting a survey. Funny, I can actually picture you doing this. Come along, back to Interac head office with you and get on with some work - some not very well paid work.

---------------------------------------
Company: Interac Co., Ltd

Date Posted: 2004-04-19
JOB ID: 4580
Requirements: Must currently reside in Japan
Love children and have some experience teaching children
Must speak some Japanese to communicate with staff
creative

We are looking for a full-time English teacher for public elementary schools in Hirakata city which is west of Kyoto. The account begins after Golden week and goes on until March 24th. Working days are Monday through Friday (8:30am-4:30pm)
ellethecat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: law -250 000 yen minmum Reply with quote

By law dont they have to pay 250 000 yen minmum to language workers?
shmooj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mr. "I want my rights now" wants to get paid for doing nothing all summer! Don't we all. In the real world, people get paid when they work.

Your real world is not mine, and, I fear, not many other's either. I get 50 days paid leave a year. Three weeks of that is in the summer. IOW, I get paid for doing nothing most of the summer. The irony is that if I actually want to work during those three summer weeks, I get paid overtime for all of it and effectively can make two salaries.

If you want to work for a McDonald's company where they pay you per hour then go ahead - freedom of choice.

The rest of us would rather be salaried with all the benefits that entails.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooj wrote
Quote:
The rest of us would rather be salaried with all the benefits that entails.

Sadly, even working at a decenently paid job, there are few benefits offered.

gimp208, after reading over the job listing again, I came to the same conclusion as Klute and company - the salary leaves virtually no margin for savings or even a plane ticket home once a year. Did you read my previous post? Y150,000 - 160,000 is the usual overhead for a single person living in an urban area.

Don't bother defending Interac - the company has proved itself over and over again to be a cut-throat company uninterested in quality teachers and determined to undercut every other recruiter.
gimp208@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klute baby- to use your silly langauge- if you had spent a little more time investigating and less time writing, YOU might know what you are talking about. As I said in my posting, the full-time/ part-time laguage is a little confusing. A simple phone call would clear things u, but you are only interested in dumping on Interac, not the truth.

The job is 15 hours a week or LESS. Yes it is between the hours of 8:30 and 4:30 but the candidate is free to do other work between classes. So the wages work out to be just about what other ALT's make. Now I wouldn't want a job like that but it is perfect for someone going to school and doesn't want to work full-time.

I also don't work for (and never have) Interac head office. You don't even kow me. Just another lie from someone who clearly has a hystertical hate for Interac.

You do your research, "baby."
canuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: law -250 000 yen minmum Reply with quote

ellethecat wrote:
By law dont they have to pay 250 000 yen minmum to language workers?

Not anymore.

@gimp, the position at Interac, if you call, only pays you for when you work, no holiday money, and days you don't work, you don't get paid. You still have to remain at school from 8:30 to 4:30pm. Yes, you can find a job for August, and they don't mind being up front saying that.

The same position is 250,000 a month in other areas of Japan, but in Osaka, it's garbage. No, it does not equal what other ALTs make, not even close. It's 15 hours teaching, but the other time is spent planning or just sitting there.
Iwantmyrightsnow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day after Interac advertised the low paying jobs, they advertised three other jobs, paying 250,000, 270,000 and 280,000 per month. But those don't count, do they?

I'm certainly not interested in a part-time job for 170,000 yen per month but some people might be. It's called freedom of choice.

The a large number of teachers around the world have holidays off and are paid. There is a reason; the shear intensity of the job at other times. Do I expect summers off- yes! It is a time for me to refresh myself as a teacher, it is also the time that I do self development, write curriculum etc.

No, those other jobs don't count. Interac is one of many companies systematically destroying working conditions. They and other companies continually undercut the bidding, leading to worse and worse conditions. Does that mean we have to put up with it? No way. The conditions they offer mean that my working conditions are in danger, and I will fight to protect them. One way is to fight to improve conditions at companies like Interac.
klute

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They call me MR gimp. Doesnít take much to push your buttons does it. If you go round calling people dishonest you shouldnít be surprised to get it thrown back in your face. If you canít take it donít dish it out.

I see you are not adverse to letting the facts get in the way of a good rant. "As I said in my posting, the full-time/ part-time laguage (youíre spelling) is a little confusing" No itís not confusing at all. It clearly labels the job full-time next to the full-time /part-time column. It then reiterates this in the blurb at the bottom of the ad, I quote "Working days are Monday through Friday (8:30am-4:30pm)". Thatís pretty clear to me as it is to other people - see above. Nowhere does it say the teacher can do the actual teaching hours then split to do another job.

Itís not the smartest thing for a prospective employee to call up a company and ask them if what they stated in their ad is true (and not practical either considering there are over 500 jobs advertised on gaijinpot alone) but as I have no intention of joining Interac, I took your advice and contacted them last night asking them to confirm the information you gave. Surprise, surprise they said the work hours are Monday through Friday 8:30am-4:30pm and you have to be at the school during those times. So gimp, as you donít work for Interac, where did you get your information?

By the way even if Interac did allow you to work for another company or work privately, do you really think it practical or feasible to organize lessons in a building near the school (Interac teachers are not allowed to drive cars to work and couldnít afford to on this salary) at times suited to fit in with a changing school schedule. Do you think the school itself would be happy to hear an ALT teacher say "Sorry no time for preparation or meetings, Iíve got a private lesson in the coffee shop across the road in five minutes"

Get real.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klute,

I admire you for going so far as to contact Interac to confirm that, yes, the hours and pay stated in their ad in the job posting is in fact what they are offering.

It's rather sad, though, that you felt pressed to go this far. It seems that, although the information was there for all to read, gimp208 refused to ack nowledge that he is in fact wrong in the matter.

To all prospective teachers in Japan, again, I caution you to be careful of people like gimp208 who spread disinformation about recruiting companies and labour laws. Who knows what his/her agenda is. The onus is on you, as the prospective employee, to do some homework, ask questions and find out what the truth of the matter really is.

Don't become a victim just because one source told you one side of the story.

Thanks again, Klute, for going out of your way.l
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: