Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Total Newbie Question: B.A. But No TESL Cert-Can I be Hired?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Total Newbie Question: B.A. But No TESL Cert-Can I be Hired? Reply with quote

Hi,

Currently I'm in Taiwan looking for my first ESL job, but suddenly realized it's incredibly difficult to have any sort of social life when almost nobody here speaks English, and I don't speak Mandarin.

So, I'm thinking of trying a country where at least a greater percentage of the population speaks English.

So, the big question is:

1) In Singapore, is it possible for a native English speaker with just a B.A. (in Political Science, so non-related) and no ESL certificate to get a LEGAL teaching job?

If so, what would be the average pay and typical number of hours I would work?

2) How would this salary compare with the average cost of living that I might expect? In the end, how much money could I expect to save per month?

-Thanks
rbos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the answer to these questions. Approximately 90 views and no replies? These seem like they should be fairly easy questions for people who have been ESL teachers in Singapore to answer.
Spring88

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

No sorry, you will have a hard time finding a job. Singapore is very strict in the hiring of teachers. For a public school you will need a degree at a University PLUS a PGCE (Post Grad Certificate in Education) PLUS experience. But if you have a good resume, you can maybe get a public teachers job through the MOE without any years experience, but the pay is crap. They will much rather hire a fresh Singaporean graduate.

To work at a Language centre you will HAVE to get qualified in TESOL or CELTA and get experience behind your name.

Read topics and posts below. Do your research. It is all here.

Get experience and invest in furthering your education if you want something better. That's the harsh truth and reality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: